British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Justin

What is the most / least collected pre-decimal denomination?

What do you collect?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. So what do you collect?

Hi all,

I was quite curious about this so thought I should start a poll as I couldn't find one on previous posts. Also could be a good topic for discussion/banter! :D

So what are the most collected pre-decimal denomination, my guess would be pennies with farthings, shillings and sixpences up there around the top too.

As for the least collected, mmm not too sure on that one!

I thought about the statistics and have opened a poll, you can answer for more than a single denomination, so it should, if enough members contribute give a good indication on denominations collected.

Let us all know what you think and add your votes. :)

Edited by Justin

Interesting. I voted pennies as that is the main denomination I collect, however I do have quite a few other coins.

Hmm. Not sure how to respond. I have examples of most of those denominations in my collection - is that what you meant?

Or, do you mean "What do you STILL collect?" - my brass 3d collection is complete apart from Edward VIII (never fill that gap :D ) so I'm not still collecting those.

Hmm. Not sure how to respond. I have examples of most of those denominations in my collection - is that what you meant?

Or, do you mean "What do you STILL collect?" - my brass 3d collection is complete apart from Edward VIII (never fill that gap :D ) so I'm not still collecting those.

Sorry should have been clearer!

Yes I mean not just what you still collect but what you have collected, if that makes it clearer? I want to try and be as statistically as accurate as possible, so if your main collection is pennies but you also have other denominations that include more than say 5 of that denomination that I would constitute that as a collection of that denomination.

I hope that helps clear the mud! :D

PS Note to myself, proof read your posts twice in future!!!! :lol:

Hmmm. Not sure it is worth ticking every box as I have at least 5 examples of all the denominations listed, though in the past it was 1/3 shillings and 1/3 halfpennies and 1/3 sundries.

You have also missed the gold pieces off the list. People do collect these as denominations.

Edited by Rob

Hmmm. Not sure it is worth ticking every box as I have at least 5 examples of all the denominations listed, though in the past it was 1/3 shillings and 1/3 halfpennies and 1/3 sundries.

You have also missed the gold pieces off the list. People do collect these as denominations.

Crap, how did I miss those!!!!!! :rolleyes:

started with halfcrowns because they were a nice size to look at and store in 4*4 snap holders. Drifting now towards crowns as they hold value better. But also have guineas, halfpennies, shillings., angels and groats ...have owned couple of Anglo Saxon pennies

If you were to categorise my collection it would not be on denomination but more on period: tudor-stuart-commonwealth.

Yes I mean not just what you still collect but what you have collected, if that makes it clearer? I want to try and be as statistically as accurate as possible, so if your main collection is pennies but you also have other denominations that include more than say 5 of that denomination that I would constitute that as a collection of that denomination.

I've included double florins even though I don't have 5 of them. But leaving aside varieties, there's only a few years of them, so I've ticked that box. And most of the others too.

I would suggest that more than 5 of a denomination wouldn't necessarily denote a collection. I probably have more than 5 of most denominations (including a full run of brass 3d, like Peckris) but definitely don't feel as though I 'collect' them. Not sure what measure I would suggest, though? In my case, if I collect something, I'm always looking for opportunities to extend and improve my holding. The mere fact of owning something doesn't make me a collector of it.

I get the impression pennies and to a lesser extent halfpennies are farthings are the most popular.

I guess that predecimal £2 and £5 are probably the least collected (probably for cost more than anything).

That's easy for me as I only collect shillings and engraved coins which span lots of other denominations and currency.

Perhaps an interesting question to ask would be what denominations prompted you start out collecting in the first place and why. I started with shillings because they were fairly common and easy to find (suited to date collecting which obviously kick starts lots of us on the road to collecting) yet and have an interesting story through history as the "common peoples coin". I also liked the fact that they have remained the same size for over 160 years and that they are silver and have some intrinsic value.

I've ticked most boxes.

An easy series like double florins has been released as the condition was not good enough.

I've also dabbled with the darkside. :ph34r:

Brass threepences are the least probably, Halfpeenies also.

however with Halfpennies there are so many in the 17th 18th century you usualy do end up needing them.

I've ticked most boxes.

An easy series like double florins has been released as the condition was not good enough.

Darkside? I am intrigued Peter?

I thought darkside was a term used by Americans for non-American coins.

I've ticked most boxes.

That's where the sun don't shine. :unsure: Oo'er.

What about three-halfpence?

Or are those not considered to be part of the British series proper since they circulated in the colonies.

Or are those not considered to be part of the British series proper since they circulated in the colonies.

Not forgetting the eighteen pence, three shillings, and dollar, not to mention broad, angel, unite, and counterstamped "pieces of 8" :D

Which is precisely why I'm not sure that it is worth ticking every box. When one of the aims of the collection is an example of every denomination, ticking every box above is a given. However, there are a few denominations which don't stretch to 5 different coins such as quarter guineas (2 currency & 1 pattern), one ducat (1), 5 farthings (2), 5 francs international (1), the various testerns or the Scarborough oddballs etc. Of the mainstream denominations though only the quarter guinea would fail to make the list. Even the revalued James 1st hammered gold issues such as the 11s angel have sufficient initial marks and overmarks to make a collection of at least 5 pieces.

Not forgetting the eighteen pence, three shillings, and dollar, not to mention broad, angel, unite, and counterstamped "pieces of 8" :D

Which is precisely why I'm not sure that it is worth ticking every box. When one of the aims of the collection is an example of every denomination, ticking every box above is a given. However, there are a few denominations which don't stretch to 5 different coins such as quarter guineas (2 currency & 1 pattern), one ducat (1), 5 farthings (2), 5 francs international (1), the various testerns or the Scarborough oddballs etc. Of the mainstream denominations though only the quarter guinea would fail to make the list. Even the revalued James 1st hammered gold issues such as the 11s angel have sufficient initial marks and overmarks to make a collection of at least 5 pieces.

Mm, I obviously did not think this one fully through, I was trying to make the poll on what I would consider the standard pre-decimal denominations. Maybe this needs a re-think or a new poll?

Ideas anyone?

Mm, I obviously did not think this one fully through, I was trying to make the poll on what I would consider the standard pre-decimal denominations. Maybe this needs a re-think or a new poll?

Ideas anyone?

How about, "What is your favourite denomination for collecting purposes?"

Ideas anyone?

All of them. :D

Ideas anyone?

Logically, if you have no favourite, you should answer "none of them" :D

Ideas anyone?

Logically, if you have no favourite, you should answer "none of them" :D

Correct. My mistake. :D