British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Geordie582

A Rant

I have definitely stopped getting the annual issues of "un-circulated coins" from the Royal Mint. I'm fed up with the racketeering trend of the supposed national mint. The sell £5 currency pieces that are never in circulation and would not be accepted by any supermarket. They do it at at the very least twice face value. They also produce "commemorative issues" at the drop of a hat at inflated prices. Well I for one have ceased being so gullible.! :angry:

I have definitely stopped getting the annual issues of "un-circulated coins" from the Royal Mint. I'm fed up with the racketeering trend of the supposed national mint. The sell £5 currency pieces that are never in circulation and would not be accepted by any supermarket. They do it at at the very least twice face value. They also produce "commemorative issues" at the drop of a hat at inflated prices. Well I for one have ceased being so gullible.! :angry:

I hear you Geordie! I have a drawer full of the damn things, just because I picked them up cheap at auction. But apart from some of the piedfort £2, the 1983 piedfort silver £1, the first ten years of silver £1 proofs, and the 1996 decimal anniversary silver set, you can keep the rest of the ruddy things.

It's the £5 coins that won't buy anything except some poor sucker's money. I've two drawers of a cabinet full of scrap metal. It's a good job they are just a byline for my collection!

The crowns up to Elizabeth II are OK - the rest just a mistake!

Edited by Geordie582

On occasions I've gone to the Post Office and got a few £5 coins and spent them in Tesco, in the hope that maybe someone would pick one up in their change and give it to a kid and the next Lockett would be born.

But I now suspect that the RM's output has really very little effect on making coin collecting popular as a hobby. And in fact, when people see how little their 'treasures' - often bought at some expense by doting Uncles and Grandparents in the hope of being 'worth something' a few years down the line - are actually valued, it may put them off for life.

I don't even bother to pick out new 50p designs from change any more. Sad really that the noble RM, with its 1000 years of history, is now the Franklin Mint of our day ...

.... though that new multicoloured Kitten themed £2 coin with bejewelled eyes that miaos if you drop it is quite cute. :lol:

.... though that new multicoloured Kitten themed £2 coin with bejewelled eyes that miaos if you drop it is quite cute. :lol:

I can't believe you have put that thought out for the RM to get their hands on :lol: you should have at least entered the next competition with that one :D

Only commemorative I bought recently was the latest Australian 50 cent piece with my wife's image- 50th Anniversary of the Australian Ballet... unfortunately Ill never match that. ; (

I confess to getting all the Olympic 50p coins and putting them in a folder.

Still a boy I suppose. :)

Only commemorative I bought recently was the latest Australian 50 cent piece with my wife's image- 50th Anniversary of the Australian Ballet... unfortunately Ill never match that. ; (

Oh, I think that's excusable Nick! :P

Wow! She must be delighted!

My mums aunt used to religiously buy all the QEII £5 cupronickel crowns in the hopes that they were a wise investment for the future.

My mums aunt used to religiously buy all the QEII £5 cupronickel crowns in the hopes that they were a wise investment for the future.

She should have bought Premium Bonds :lol:

She should have bought Premium Bonds :lol:

I thought Green Shield Stamps were a long-term investment (actually of course I didn't, but there was a bit of a frenzy for a while!)

Everyone should avoid these worthless pieces of cr*p ... for the same money as a new RM CN you could have a Roman, or 1887 SH, silly really

Blimey. If even Coincraft won't play ball, then there really is NO FUTURE (thank you Johnny Rotten).