British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

nope, I bid on a fragment of one once, that went for like £30.

I did see that, but that is beyond silly.

I must admit, if I collected those, didn't have one, and had the budget, I would have been bidding!

My 'blimey' was more about what a superb example it was than the price!

Edited by Paulus

The detail is ok, but it might be slightly porous looking at the obverse legend.

I must admit, if I collected those, didn't have one, and had the budget, I would have been bidding!

Sorry to be a cynic, but it looks too good to be true. Especially the fact it's on eBay - with a coin like that, why not sell through Baldwins or Spink?

Edited by Peckris

Sorry to be a cynic, but it looks too good to be true. Especially the fact it's on eBay - with a coin like that, why not sell through Baldwins or Spink?

Because it's regular bread and butter coin at an auction. Not a rare mint, not a rare type and you get your money in a week or two rather than 6 months. Sure it's scarce, but the return is likely to be little different than selling through an auction house, just quicker. Plus a lot of sellers on eBay wouldn't have a clue about Spink or DNW etc

Edited by Rob

Because it's regular bread and butter coin at an auction. Not a rare mint, not a rare type and you get your money in a week or two rather than 6 months. Sure it's scarce, but the return is likely to be little different than selling through an auction house, just quicker. Plus a lot of sellers on eBay wouldn't have a clue about Spink or DNW etc

Very true. Winchester is fairly common and, as Rob says, I really do not like the texture/patina it has. A nice coin, nonetheless.

The detail is ok, but it might be slightly porous looking at the obverse legend.

I was going to call you fussy until i saw Clives reply :P I thought William I coins were generally rare anyway, or am i mistaken?

Edited by azda

I was going to call you fussy until i saw Clives reply :P I thought William I coins were generally rare anyway, or am i mistaken?

They appear rare because there is so much demand from those outside of the hammered spectrum, too. Famous monarchs will have that draw. In reality issues such as the Paxs, Bonnet and Two Stars and all that rare - it's the mints that seem to push the prices of these up.

The W1 prices in Spink are a good proxy for rarity for issue - so the profiles, sword and canopy are generally more difficult to acquire. Within all types there are seriously rare mints for the issue, irrespective of type rarity. That's why a seemingly normal estimate appears to go OTT on occasions.

The same applies to other reigns, so in the case of the seriously common Cnut series, Aethelred LSC & CRVX etc. you will often see things going for 5-10x what the book says and which determines the price to be paid by the uninitiated. For W1 PAXS coins, the Beaworth hoard is a good proxy for absolute rarity.

Edited by Rob

The same applies to other reigns, so in the case of the seriously common Cnut series, Aethelred LSC & CRVX etc. you will often see things going for 5-10x what the book says and which determines the price to be paid by the uninitiated.

Precisely. Like this beaten-up example of a common issue. It just happens to be of Lympne mint.

The same applies to other reigns, so in the case of the seriously common Cnut series, Aethelred LSC & CRVX etc. you will often see things going for 5-10x what the book says and which determines the price to be paid by the uninitiated.

Precisely. Like this beaten-up example of a common issue. It just happens to be of Lympne mint.

That's quite an amusing description 'Saxon silver coin. Message me for more details'...I wonder exactly how much more information he could've added, given he didn't put a great deal of information in the listing to begin with? :)