British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Justin

1915 and 1916 recessed ear variety

Hi all,

Just been through my bulk stash of pennies again! Moan groan etc, but thanks to you lot this variety hunting is bloody addictive!!!! :angry::D

Yet again more help please ! :P

Am I right in thinking that both are the recessed and broken tooth variety? The 1916 is on the left.

Coins1_zps6cdba8cf.jpeg

The 1915 seems to have a very small break in the tooth and I had to play with the colours to get it light enough to show from the scanned pic.

The 1915 tooth close up

1915tooth_zps4c62ed3f.png

Again thanks all! :)

Hi all,

Just been through my bulk stash of pennies again! Moan groan etc, but thanks to you lot this variety hunting is bloody addictive!!!! :angry::D

Am I right in thinking that both are the recessed and broken tooth variety? The 1916 is on the left.

Coins1_zps6cdba8cf.jpeg

The 1915 seems to have a very small break in the tooth and I had to play with the colours to get it light enough to show from the scanned pic.

The 1915 tooth close up

Yes, those are both recessed ear varieties. The points to look out for (apart from the preternaturally recessed ear) are :

1. the broken tooth which is the clincher

2. the fact that Britannia is usually fully struck up on the reverse, particularly the face and chest areas

They are scarce rather than rare, the 1915 more so. A lot more scarce in high grades, but easier to spot in lower grades.

Hi all,

Coins1_zps6cdba8cf.jpeg

The 1915 tooth close up

Yes, those are both recessed ear varieties. The points to look out for (apart from the preternaturally recessed ear) are :

1. the broken tooth which is the clincher

2. the fact that Britannia is usually fully struck up on the reverse, particularly the face and chest areas

They are scarce rather than rare, the 1915 more so. A lot more scarce in high grades, but easier to spot in lower grades.

Thanks again Peckris! :D

This variety bug is addictive!!!! :angry:

Hi Justin,

Again you are correct. As Peckris says, the 1916 is fairly common but the 1915 is a little rarer.

Hi Justin,

Again you are correct. As Peckris says, the 1916 is fairly common but the 1915 is a little rarer.

Thanks Steve,

Well thats the bulk collection of pennies I had well and truly sorted now! No other varieties to be had, just one question, why the hell do I keep looking? :P :P

Regards

Hi Justin,

Thanks Steve,

Well thats the bulk collection of pennies I had well and truly sorted now! No other varieties to be had, just one question, why the hell do I keep looking? :P :P

Regards

You're probably like most of us. Hunting for those elusive varieties amongst a host of more common coins is where the fun really starts!

Hi Justin,

Thanks Steve,

Regards

Why is the sun hot? Water wet? The Pope a Catholic? :D

Just sorted my bulk lot of pennies to find 2 1916 Recessed Ear varieties but no 1915 ones :( Does anyone know a realistic valuation for these coins?

Hi Justin,

Thanks Steve,

Regards

Do you not watch "The Borgias" Peck? :D

Hi Justin,

Thanks Steve,

Regards

Its a good show, if only to admire the female form! Oh and the history aspect of course, cant forget the history..................... :P

Hi Justin,

Thanks Steve,

Regards

There's another series? I remember one from the early 80s that turned up - via Frank Muir - on TV Hell in the 90s.