British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

ski

1697 bristol 6d ira for fra

although the photo doesnt show it, there is a very faint hint of a middle bar to the "f" in the fra legend.

Although a worn coin, i dont think the "f" has worn to an "I" as the other letters seem complete.....what do you guys think?

Ski

post-5911-001244900 1367422485_thumb.jpg

although the photo doesnt show it, there is a very faint hint of a middle bar to the "f" in the fra legend.

Although a worn coin, i dont think the "f" has worn to an "I" as the other letters seem complete.....what do you guys think?

Ski

On the face of it, it would be hard to say it's an F based on that image, would've been good to see the I of HIB for a quick comparison?

okay will try and get some more pics up tomorrow afternoon when ive some time.

the i of hib looks just like a capital I or like a roman numeral 1......

is the i of hib known to differ in the ira for fra variety then?.

Ski

okay will try and get some more pics up tomorrow afternoon when ive some time.

the i of hib looks just like a capital I or like a roman numeral 1......

is the i of hib known to differ in the ira for fra variety then?.

Ski

To be perfectly honest, I cannot see that this isn't the IRA for FRA, as understood to be by Spink, I'm only probing because I got caught out with the NO stop after DEI 1700 Shilling, which Spink's subsiquently agreed did not exist, based on the images I sent them (still in the 2013 cat. though).

dont mind you probing. it will help me learn what coin i have.

the ira for fra variety is also listed in ESC, r4 for rarity.

Ski

I think it maybe the R4 but I'm no 6d expert.

Get a full image of the reverse up so the I of HIB can be compared with this one. Same defective serifs would be a good start as the same punch would probably be used. Another consideration is the spacing of the legend. Was there room for the F in the first place? You can use the E as a template for the F. If an I, you would expect the letter to be central whereas a defective F upright would be off to the left.

Edited by Rob

Get a full image of the reverse up so the I of HIB can be compared with this one. Same defective serifs would be a good start as the same punch would probably be used. Another consideration is the spacing of the legend. Was there room for the F in the first place? You can use the E as a template for the F. If an I, you would expect the letter to be central whereas a defective F upright would be off to the left.

In view of what you've said, the upright does seem far enough left to allow an F...also there does appear to be a small triangle that could represent the end serif of the top bar of an F, plus a faint crease where the lower crossbar might be? Maybe another block, as in the 1700 NO STOP after DEI??

This doesn't mean that it 'isn't' the IRA for FRA that's described in Spink's, of course, just that Spink's may not yet have resolved for themselves the issue of the genuine existence of the variety or not, or whether it is instead a block that produced a run of I for F looking coins!

It's a great period, and great looking coins, especially the halfcrowns! :)

In view of what you've said, the upright does seem far enough left to allow an F...also there does appear to be a small triangle that could represent the end serif of the top bar of an F, plus a faint crease where the lower crossbar might be? Maybe another block, as in the 1700 NO STOP after DEI??

This doesn't mean that it 'isn't' the IRA for FRA that's described in Spink's, of course, just that Spink's may not yet have resolved for themselves the issue of the genuine existence of the variety or not, or whether it is instead a block that produced a run of I for F looking coins!

It's a great period, and great looking coins, especially the halfcrowns! :)

That's why I am sceptical about the so called GVLIEIMVS coins. Blocked lower bar Ls with the upright too far left is the order of the day, but that's because people see what they want to see and we all know a listed rarity commands a higher price, just like all those proofs on eBay which appears to have a monopoly.

don't think I have seen any GVLIEIMVS coins myself to have a look at to see that myself, anything like the above, I usualy have a very close look and decide. maybe i'm seeing things here but if you look closely, can I see a very faint outline of a central part of an F?

can also see part of the F at the top (triangle), what i can tell you from observation is those triangle parts are often detatched, there are plenty of L's where this happens.

Edited by scott

took a couple of quick pics in the garden this morning,

the first here of the full coin showing the hib and fra letter I.

post-5911-032092000 1367578414_thumb.jpg

the better outdoor light has helped show the very faint hint of the middle bar on the "f".

Ive also noticed the top bar of the "e" in rex is very thin, so could this just all be because the coin is very worn?.

ski

post-5911-082130200 1367578553_thumb.jpg

can I see a very faint outline of a central part of an F?

yes i did mention it in my original post but the pic taken indoors didnt really show it, i hope its clearer from the pics ive taken today.

Ski

thank you for the huge number of replies...........im completely underwhelmed.

Do you know what, Ski, that's really interesting, and I think it's been mentioned before, but I never picked up the latter parts of this thread by using the 'search for new content' feature that I do! So don't be underwhelmed, I think threads can genuinely slip below the radar sometimes, according to how people browse the forum, and when? :)

Do you know what, Ski, that's really interesting, and I think it's been mentioned before, but I never picked up the latter parts of this thread by using the 'search for new content' feature that I do! So don't be underwhelmed, I think threads can genuinely slip below the radar sometimes, according to how people browse the forum, and when? :)

If a forum or thread's icon is dark not light in colour, that means there are new posts since your last visit. It's what I go on, and apart from a few glitches, it hasn't let me down.

If a forum or thread's icon is dark not light in colour, that means there are new posts since your last visit. It's what I go on, and apart from a few glitches, it hasn't let me down.

I've always used the 'new content' feature, especially when using the IP Board App. on the iPhone! It's a habit that transfers quite readily when I get on the laptop...it shouldn't, but probably does, miss the occasional thing!