British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
RLC35

1877 Narrow Date Penny

I just returned from the Chicago International Coin Fair, with a really neat purchase...a Narrow Date 1877 Penny. I bought it from a Florida Dealer, who had owned it for years!

post-509-053626800 1366456963_thumb.jpg

post-509-081801600 1366456987_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I just returned from the Chicago International Coin Fair, with a really neat purchase...a Narrow Date 1877 Penny. I bought it from a Florida Dealer, who had owned it for years!

Very nice Bob! Freeman 90? Is that for the collection or re-sale?

A very good find Bob. You ought to be looking at something around £10k to buy an example like that on this side of the pond.

Steve and John,

Thanks for the kudo's. Yes, it is a F90, and I think I will eventually offer it for sale...I not sure when. It is nice to be able to say I own one! Ha,Ha!

Steve and John,

Thanks for the kudo's. Yes, it is a F90, and I think I will eventually offer it for sale...I not sure when. It is nice to be able to say I own one! Ha,Ha!

John just offered you £10k but is probably wishing he'd said £2k now... I certainly am! :)

Steve and John,

John just offered you £10k but is probably wishing he'd said £2k now... I certainly am! :)

Too honest for my own good Steve! I guessed it would be a keeper for Bob anyway :)

Last one I can remember seeing the light of day over 'ere made about £10k (London Coins but I can't remember which one) and it wasn't as good as yours Bob.

Wow!!!!

:)

David

Thanks Derek, and David,

I just looked at the CGS "Finest Known" 1877 ND, and mine and it are very close! Once in a while, you get lucky! Ha,Ha!

They value the CGS one at £7500 personally i think yours look better Bob, whats the OBV like? So, do the dealer know what it was?

They value the CGS one at £7500 personally i think yours look better Bob, whats the OBV like? So, do the dealer know what it was?

Here is the obverse Dave. Yes the Dealer did what how scarce it was. When I asked him to lower the price, his response was..."do you know how scarce this coin is?" I paid through the nose for it, but not 7500 pounds!

post-509-015706400 1366570191_thumb.jpg

BEAUTIFUL COIN BOB, One of the nicest I've seen and almost certainly amongst the finest known....

BEAUTIFUL COIN BOB, One of the nicest I've seen and almost certainly amongst the finest known....

Thanks Gary...coming from you that means a lot. You have most of the scarce Victoria Pennies, known to man! Ha.Ha!

forgive my ignorance but how come such a rarity for this penny? :)

no matter how hard i try i find anything online about freeman rarities :(

Not quite sure what you mean but there were two distinct reverses used on pennies during the period 1874-9 known as 'narrow' and 'wide' dates. This is simply a shorthand for a whole host of differences including the 'narrow date' penny having a tall thin lighthouse, whereas the 'wide' version had a short fat lighthouse; Britannia looks quite emaciated in the narrow date etc. Without going into too much detail, the 'narrow date' is rare for 1879, ludicrously rare for 1877 and non-existent for 1878.

Generally speaking, most designs will show variations in date width, as the last and sometimes the last but one digit are punched in on already prepared dies but in this case, the whole reverse is rather different.

makes me wonder if an 1878 exisited though.

I own the 1879 narrow, got off ebay many moons ago listed with a normal 1879 as 2 types, in your regular clear date with a bit of detail grade, havn't seen any since. still looking for the 77

Not quite sure what you mean but there were two distinct reverses used on pennies during the period 1874-9 known as 'narrow' and 'wide' dates. This is simply a shorthand for a whole host of differences including the 'narrow date' penny having a tall thin lighthouse, whereas the 'wide' version had a short fat lighthouse; Britannia looks quite emaciated in the narrow date etc. Without going into too much detail, the 'narrow date' is rare for 1879, ludicrously rare for 1877 and non-existent for 1878.

Generally speaking, most designs will show variations in date width, as the last and sometimes the last but one digit are punched in on already prepared dies but in this case, the whole reverse is rather different.

Your best chance of seeing an example of each is 1875, where both types are fairly common.

Guest Coinhunteroz

I have a 1874 narrow date half penny is this a rare one as well and if so what sort of money would you expect from lowest to highest grades?

retail between £20-£300 but less than fine in the 50p box.

Put a picture up.

3 hours ago, Peter said:

retail between £20-£300 but less than fine in the 50p box.

Put a picture up.

Agree with you Peter. We need a picture.

If the date hasn't got an H underneath the date, then the minimum rarity is R12, which is rare. In fact the commonest 1874 halfpenny, with an H, is R8, so not common even then.    

• Like 1