British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

RChris

posting pics

Sorry if this is already explained somewhere on the forum and if so, please point me in the right direction. As a newbie and posting novice, can I get some guidance on uploading pictures? I've already successfully posted a couple of pics with the upload system under the topic box which produces a thumbnail to expand on. But I see many threads posted with excellent and much larger pictures embedded - so how does one do this? Thanks, Chris

Sorry if this is already explained somewhere on the forum and if so, please point me in the right direction. As a newbie and posting novice, can I get some guidance on uploading pictures? I've already successfully posted a couple of pics with the upload system under the topic box which produces a thumbnail to expand on. But I see many threads posted with excellent and much larger pictures embedded - so how does one do this? Thanks, Chris

You simply click on the 'Insert Image' icon on the toolbar and fill in the URL to point to the image (of unlimited size) you want to include. This does mean that your image will have to be externally hosted somewhere, so you would need to use PhotoBucket, Flickr, or any other of the myriad of possibilities.

Another way is to upload your images to photobucket, or whichever image host you choose, remembering to resize the image if needed (otherwise the coin will be off the screen of the PC on the forum...only trial and error here will assist you in what size). Then if you click on your uploaded image in say PB, you'll see a box of links, I just click on 'IMG Code' and paste it directly on the page here within the text.

Welcome aboard!

I hate external links like the plague (what good is a forum if you can't upload pictures directly into a post?)

At the risk of repeating myself for the umpteenth time (and for the umpteenth time, Chris, WHY DON'T YOU ALLOW ME TO SET UP A 'STICKY' ON THIS???) - to get your picture within the 150k limit :

1. reduce its size to around 600x600 pixels; despite some of the 'dinner plates' that abound here, that's perfectly adequate to see a coin's finer details

2. reduce its resolution to 72 ppi (that's the resolution of a computer monitor; anything more is just wasted)

3. save it as a JPEG and compress it when you save, e.g. to Photoshop's 7/12 setting (or 'Medium')

It should fit into 150k, though you might need to post the obverse and reverse in consecutive posts.

• Like 1

I hate external links like the plague (what good is a forum if you can't upload pictures directly into a post?)

At the risk of repeating myself for the umpteenth time (and for the umpteenth time, Chris, WHY DON'T YOU ALLOW ME TO SET UP A 'STICKY' ON THIS???) - to get your picture within the 150k limit :

1. reduce its size to around 600x600 pixels; despite some of the 'dinner plates' that abound here, that's perfectly adequate to see a coin's finer details

2. reduce its resolution to 72 ppi (that's the resolution of a computer monitor; anything more is just wasted)

3. save it as a JPEG and compress it when you save, e.g. to Photoshop's 7/12 setting (or 'Medium')

It should fit into 150k, though you might need to post the obverse and reverse in consecutive posts.

I've pinned it and copied it to the Beginners Area, which is the most my Admin powers allow!

Edited by TomGoodheart

Thanks guys - I've cracked it now.

I've pinned it and copied it to the Beginners Area, which is the most my Admin powers allow!

YAY. Thanks. :) Now it's pinned, I'll expand on it more fully (next post).

Edited by Peckris

One of the difficulties posting pictures here, is that the allowance per post is only 150k. Considering the multi megapixel capabilities of most modern cameras, that means people have to resort to using external picture hosting sites to display pictures here, using links. The problem there is, one has to then register for and maintain a separate site, which in the case of Photobucket, is user unfriendly, and it's a lot more work to get a picture from there to here, than simply posting directly here.

However, all is not lost as the following will explain. The main thing is to create a much smaller copy of the picture you want to post here.

1. Import the picture into any image editor (Photoshop, Elements, or free apps like Apple Preview, or Picasa will do it.)

2. (CROP the picture if necessary, so the coin fills the frame)

3. Reduce the SIZE (600 x 600 pixels will do to see a coin's finer details)

4. Reduce the RESOLUTION to 72 ppi, which is the same as a computer monitor; anything more is wasted

5. SAVE the picture as a JPEG, and use a medium setting when prompted.

Your picture should then fit nicely into 150k, though you may need two consecutive posts for both obverse and reverse.

I will now add a series of shots showing how to do this using Picasa on a Mac (which I downloaded especially for this, so this was my first use of it - I may be showing my inexperience). I have used an art picture as I couldn't find a coin picture that needed cropping.

Edited by Peckris

Step 1 - I've loaded the picture into Picasa, selected the Crop tool, and chosen the "Square - CD Cover" option

post-4737-090614400 1365853924_thumb.jpg

Step 2 - I've clicked and dragged the area I want to crop to, which in your case will be the coin, the whole coin, and nothing but the coin!

post-4737-059706000 1365854067_thumb.jpg

Step 3 - I've clicked 'Apply' which then does the Crop

post-4737-085322600 1365854167_thumb.jpg

Step 4 - I've clicked 'Export' and selected the final image size in pixels, JPEG, and quality setting which in this case in 'Minimum' (which turned out to be acceptable).

post-4737-034657100 1365854585_thumb.jpg

Step 5 - as you can see, the final image size is only half the 150k limit.

post-4737-062578000 1365854724_thumb.jpg

Finally - the image itself

post-4737-044098500 1365854819_thumb.jpg

Hi all does anyone know if i can upload pics from my ipad?

Yes, I'm sure you can. The iPad holds photos and it also has the Safari browser, so as long as you get the picture down to the right size, no problem.

1365854952' post='84527']
1365853793' post='84519']

Hi all does anyone know if i can upload pics from my ipad?

Yes, I'm sure you can. The iPad holds photos and it also has the Safari browser, so as long as you get the picture down to the right size, no problem.

Ill have a mess around and see if i can iv already tried once but failed

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://i1316.photobucket.com/albums/t615/ozzyrob10/th_6CC3A304-3B48-440B-A1DA-A665608F2C56-230-0000003F030350C6_zpsaf0de070.jpg' alt='th_6CC3A304-3B48-440B-A1DA-A665608F2C56-230-0000003F030350C6_zpsaf0de070.jpg'>

1366232556' post='84732']
1366232432' post='84730']

:)

Ha ha its bugging me now ill keep trying sad.gif

<a href="http://<a%20href=" http:="" s1316.photobucket.com="" albums="" t615="" ozzyrob10="" ?action="view&current=6CC3A304-3B48-440B-A1DA-A665608F2C56-230-0000003F030350C6_zpsaf0de070.jpg"" target="_blank">6CC3A304-3B48-440B-A1DA-A665608F2C56-230-0000003F030350C6_zpsaf0de070.jpg">My link