British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

dorey

where to cash in new pence 2p coins from 1971-1983

7 hours ago, Peter said:

These machines also take pre decimal 1/2d's  or so have been told.:o...next time a numbnuts says he has a £5 bag of 1967 1/2d's  the kids can play the fruit machines for a couple of weeks.

50 2p's to £1 or 480 1/2d's...maybe a good investment.:D

Don't encourage fraud guys. Some dumb kid might take this seriously and get himself arrested as a result ... 

8 hours ago, Paddy said:

Stupid questions get stupid answers.

how very true

Guest Hello ,
On 25/03/2017 at 3:45 PM, Michael-Roo said:

Providing it will be free P&P.

2 hours ago, Guest Hello , said:

Is someone lining up a spamming campaign ?

#WheresMyCanOpener

• Like 1

Just now, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Is someone lining up a spamming campaign ?

#WheresMyCanOpener

Yeah- so many people with a limited intellect that they are determined to mis-use.

The big problem with Berners-Lee's lovechild is the anonymity it confers the users, in many cases.

It's incredible how childish people can be on line......

Just now, blakeyboy said:

Yeah- so many people with a limited intellect that they are determined to mis-use.

The big problem with Berners-Lee's lovechild is the anonymity it confers the users, in many cases.

It's incredible how childish people can be on line......

You're only saying that because you envy my thick crayons :)

• Like 2

I love crayons but i couldn't eat a whole one 😆

• Like 2

I'm not allowed crayons.

• Like 2

Guest gaz

hi i have a load off old coins dating back to the 1930's or earlier as haven't got through them all yet one is a 1937 coin are they worth anything in today's market as the net doesn't really help with all these other ones says coins worth £5k or more.

3 hours ago, Guest gaz said:

hi i have a load off old coins dating back to the 1930's or earlier as haven't got through them all yet one is a 1937 coin are they worth anything in today's market as the net doesn't really help with all these other ones says coins worth £5k or more.

Unfortunately a "load of old coins" normally aren't worth a great deal, unless they have been carefully stored and are either of significance, or in an excellent state of preservation (but preferably both).

With regards to the growing number of stories in the daily rags regarding the completely ludicrous prices attached to coins of little to no real worth, they are just that, stories.

If you could provide a couple of images and a brief list of coins, it may be possible to assist you further.

1 hour ago, Guest gaz said:

PROBABLY not worth anything much (if it's the average accumulation of predecimal coins). But any silver coin dated before 1947 is 50% real silver, and before 1920 is sterling silver.

(Best to start a new thread than piggyback on an old one).

Guest gaz
16 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Unfortunately a "load of old coins" normally aren't worth a great deal, unless they have been carefully stored and are either of significance, or in an excellent state of preservation (but preferably both).

With regards to the growing number of stories in the daily rags regarding the completely ludicrous prices attached to coins of little to no real worth, they are just that, stories.

If you could provide a couple of images and a brief list of coins, it may be possible to assist you further.

these are the ones I have but there is alot more for other countries and some old but most from 1970s up

20180531_131557.jpg

20180531_131535.jpg

20180531_131500.jpg

20180531_131445.jpg

20180531_131416.jpg

20180531_131359.jpg

20180531_131319.jpg

20180531_131238.jpg

20180531_131142.jpg

20180531_131557.jpg

20180531_131535.jpg

20180531_131500.jpg

20180531_131445.jpg

20180531_131416.jpg

20180531_131359.jpg

20180531_131319.jpg

20180531_131238.jpg

20180531_131142.jpg

Well a few bits with a little value here - the George V threepence and shilling at least have silver content, but are not worth more than that - maybe £1 for the two. The 1986 Commonwealth games £2 is cashable at the bank for £2 - you might get 3 at a car boot sale. The best of what you have posted are probably the two Christmas 50ps - there seems to be quite a few collectors for these - check on Ebay as I cannot se the dates from your pictures.

BTW - no need to post all your pictures twice! :D

The Christmas 50p's can be a winner on Ebay (not for me, I only do British mainland).

The old £2 might make £4 or bank it..

The 1936 shilling and threepence are 50% real silver, but I wouldn't expect those to make more than a quid or so.

The rest is not in any great demand as there is so much of it about.

I was umming and rring about the xmas 50 pence's myself at one time. They have a huge following and prices just go crazy at times. Although it would seem the issuers have also cottoned on with the ever increasing  purchase prices. No change there :) but too many thumbs in too many pies is never a good thing so I let it rest and just view from afar lol

Just for education purposes - the 1951 sixpence is in a high grade. That doesn't make it worth very much unfortunately (a couple of £?) but it's worth keeping to show the minimum condition that modern coins (certainly post-1937) should be in.

• Like 1

Guest gaz
On 5/30/2018 at 9:07 PM, Unwilling Numismatist said:

the 50p dates are 1983 and 1989 thanks for the help guys appreciate it and learnt a little about what to look for 

• Like 2

Well Ebay suggests £20 to £25 each for those two, so useful finds.

On 29/12/2017 at 11:49 AM, Guest Stella said:

I have New Pence coins 1p-2p ranging from the dates 1971, 1975, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980 And  1981. Are any of these worth anything? :huh:

image.jpg

They are of course worth face value. Some collectors see them as nothing more but if you are staring out, its a good place to start. Don't be put off by previous comments. Don't throw them away, keep them and don't clean them, put them in an album and try and collect different years, keeping the best condition ones you have. One day they will be worth more than face value and it's a cheap and easy way to start collecting coins.  That is a fascinating and addictive hobby.

Edited by markflorida
  • Like 1

Guest Michael Anderson
On 14/04/2017 at 5:16 PM, Guest MartinD738 said:

The ONLY New Pence 2p that is worth buying or selling in any condition is the 1983. These were released in Martini and Heinz BUNC set before the error was reported and subsequently withdrawn from further official sales. Similar to the lines through the face Olympic 50p.

I have one of these martini sets for sale containing the all important NEW PENCE 2p error coin & comes complete with original paperwork including the compliment slip.  For sale @ £1500  posted special delivery next day before 1pm at my cost.  Others are selling their sets for £2500 +  but i want mine to sell to someone that will appreciate its beauty & value . Interested text me on 07591860202 . Thanks mike .

Screenshot_20180623-190103_Chrome.jpg

On 23/06/2018 at 7:12 PM, Guest Michael Anderson said:

I have one of these martini sets for sale containing the all important NEW PENCE 2p error coin & comes complete with original paperwork including the compliment slip.  For sale @ £1500  posted special delivery next day before 1pm at my cost.  Others are selling their sets for £2500 +  but i want mine to sell to someone that will appreciate its beauty & value . Interested text me on 07591860202 . Thanks mike .

Screenshot_20180623-190103_Chrome.jpgcould be a 1971 two pence for all we know

"sell to someone that will appreciate its beauty & value" . Why are you prepared to accept £1000 less than its true value? , I certainly would not

Soumds like B.S. to me

Edited by copper123

Guest Codey
On 28/03/2013 at 5:08 PM, dorey said:

hi, i have been looking at yr page where certain 2p coins with new pence on and certain dates are worth 20p if in good nick, but i don't know where you cash them in or are they for private sellers? would appreciate the advice etc. my mum on my case to see if she can get etc for the coins she has collected, i know about the 1983 new pence, tnks for yr time on this matter. :rolleyes:

Quite a bit"

2 hours ago, Guest Codey said:

Quite a bit"

"Worth" for coins is only relevant to collectors, unless the coins have bullion value, e.g. silver, gold, or large coppers. 

The only valuable 2p with NEW PENCE is 1983, when the legend had been changed to TWO PENCE apart from a few in sets.

Otherwise, you're looking at  collectors' coins only, for example coins from proof sets (especially where there was no normal currency coins with that date), or specimen sets after 1982. These would be worth up to a few £ each for examples in absolutely mint condition, but ordinary currency decimal coins are worth only face value, perhaps a fraction more in mint condition but finding a buyer for them would be difficult. Ignore price guides - yes they may give a value of 20p for e.g. a 1977 uncirculated BU 2p, but getting that? Not a hope, really.

Guest 1971 coins

Can someone tell me what these are worth please 

20180814_102405.jpg

20180814_102353.jpg

20180814_102341.jpg