British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

dorey

where to cash in new pence 2p coins from 1971-1983

You can pick these up for approx £1 per set

Yes - sadly very common. As a part time seller at markets I am delighted if I can get £1 for them. It is the usual problem of supply and demand - there are millions of them out there and very few people who want them.

3 hours ago, Guest 1971 coins said:

Can someone tell me what these are worth please 

If you're only interested in the money, then they're not worth anything much. However, if you're interested in coins and varieties, there are at least 3 different varieties of the 10p and 5p in the sets, but I don't know about relative rarity of these.

Here is an email (sent 06/04/2018) I received from the Royal Mint Museum;

"Dear Mr AardHawk 

Please accept my apologies for the delay in response to your most recent email.

Having reviewed the Annual Reports for the period in question, there were approximately 6,164,050 ‘Britain’s First Decimal Coins’ sets released by banks and post offices, with the coins for the sets being struck between 1968 and 1970. The reports we have seem to suggest that the 5p and 10p pieces included in these sets were only dated 1968 as this is the year that the coins were introduced into circulation as legal tender.

However, there were 888,000 sets issued in 1969 and we can confirm that some of these did contain 5p and 10p pieces dated 1969. Unfortunately, we are not be able to say how many sets as the Annual Reports we have do not separate out the numbers for the sets.

Kind regards

Fiona

Fiona   Trumper
Public Engagement & Information Officer"

My own research shows that there are at least two different minor varieties of 2p, Reverses Aa and Ab. 

• Like 1

Guest New pence 2p coin 1971

I have a 1971 2pence piece with the words (new pence) on it, is it worth much and if so any idea how much and would you know of anyone who may be interested in this coin please kind regards Ian  my contact number is 07497797518

5 minutes ago, Guest New pence 2p coin 1971 said:

I have a 1971 2pence piece with the words (new pence) on it, is it worth much and if so any idea how much and would you know of anyone who may be interested in this coin please kind regards Ian  my contact number is 07497797518

Sadly your 1971 Twopence is worth just two pence. The media hype about them being worth more was a classic case of fake news. There are 10s of millions of them still in circulation.

The rare one is the 1983 two pence but only if it reads "New Pence" rather than "Two Pence".

Sorry!

I believe the 1971 2p is one of the three most common British coins? The other two being the 1971 1p and 1967 penny.

About £2.50 , you really will not get rich off that