British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

dorey

where to cash in new pence 2p coins from 1971-1983

hi, i have been looking at yr page where certain 2p coins with new pence on and certain dates are worth 20p if in good nick, but i don't know where you cash them in or are they for private sellers? would appreciate the advice etc. my mum on my case to see if she can get etc for the coins she has collected, i know about the 1983 new pence, tnks for yr time on this matter. :rolleyes:

hi, i have been looking at yr page where certain 2p coins with new pence on and certain dates are worth 20p if in good nick, but i don't know where you cash them in or are they for private sellers? would appreciate the advice etc. my mum on my case to see if she can get etc for the coins she has collected, i know about the 1983 new pence, tnks for yr time on this matter. :rolleyes:

Ok, dorey (welcome to the forums by the way) - you have to take the prices quoted for decimal coins (and most coins from the mid-60s on), with a big pinch of salt. Chris Perkins, who runs this forum, is the publisher of the Collectors Coins GB guides. The previous guy who published it, always had a note somewhere in the guide, that went something like "Please note that any coin quoted with a price of less than £1, is really only to cover the expenses of the dealer in advertising it, selling it, packing it, etc".

You won't find more than a tiny handful of dealers who are even remotely interested in run-of-the-mill currency decimal coins. And even then, they have to be absolutely in mint condition, with lustre as on the day they left the Mint.

Having said that, bronze coins before the early 90s are proper bronze, not coated steel like later ones. You wouldn't get their copper value from a dealer as they have to make a profit, but they are worth a little over face value.

To be honest, the only 2 pences worth anything are 1) that rare 1983 'NEW PENCE', or 2) any from a proof set, or only issued in a BU specimen set, and not for general currency.

If you have a look at predecimal coins, you might find more excitement in them.

Guest New pence

I have a few "NEW PENCE" dated 1983 what are they worth

13 minutes ago, Guest New pence said:

I have a few "NEW PENCE" dated 1983 what are they worth

Depends on the denomination, but almost certainly what it says on the coins

• Like 1

Are you sure they say 'new pence' and not 'two pence' on the back?

the 'new pence' ones can be worth a few hundred quid in top condition. Of course, this also depends on what you mean by a few? Show us a lot and the market will very quickly collapse.

I have a feeling this may be similar to the bundle of undated 20p's thread

Guest jAWAD

Hi I have New Pence 2

D.G.REG.F.D 1971 ELIZABETH II 

I want to sale it... What will be the offered price?

35 minutes ago, Rob said:

2p.

Providing it will be free P&P.

Guest Rik stevenson

Good morning all. I have a 1975 2 pence coin which has the word new instead of two was wondering if anybody new if it was worth selling

46 minutes ago, Guest Rik stevenson said:

Good morning all. I have a 1975 2 pence coin which has the word new instead of two was wondering if anybody new if it was worth selling

What do you think it is worth ?.

Guest Rik stevenson

Not sure ititsh  anything but you never no

Guest Rik stevenson
1 hour ago, Guest Rik stevenson said:

1 hour ago, Guest Rik stevenson said:

Not sure its worth anymore than 2 pence but you never no

Guest MartinD738

The ONLY New Pence 2p that is worth buying or selling in any condition is the 1983. These were released in Martini and Heinz BUNC set before the error was reported and subsequently withdrawn from further official sales. Similar to the lines through the face Olympic 50p.

Guest CoinBoyJoy

So about a 1971 new pence coin. How much would you say? (In good condition).

Unless it is mint state, i.e in the same condition as it left the mint - 1p for a penny, 2p for a two pence

Edited by Rob

Guest Guest money

I have a 2p coin from 1975 that says éire on it how much would this be worth?

Pence unless mint state with full lustre. The metal price is continually fluctuating, so an exact number is only a ballpark figure.

Guest Guest money

So at an estimate how much would you say

Bear in mind the following estimate was based at a specific point in time when I looked at prices and subsequently will have changed.

The current copper price is $2.2522 per lb. The current exchange rate is GBP1 = USD1.2891. There are 453.592 grams per lb and the nominal weight of an Irish 2p is 7.12g. Therefore the intrinsic value at current spot prices is £0.02742.

Old Irish currency can still be exchanged for Euros by the Central Bank in Ireland. £1 Irish = Euros 1.269738. GBP1 = Euros 1.14254. 2 Irish pence would therefore be worth Euros 0.0253948, or GBP 0.0222266 assuming no currency conversion costs.

Melting it is therefore a no brainer, being at a premium of over 20% to the amount receivable should you travel to Dublin and pay it in.

If it was uncirculated with full lustre, it might retail at up to a quid, but there isn't much demand.

• Like 2

Guest harsh

Hii i have a new pence 2 coin of 1975 

D.g.reg.f.d.1975 Elizabeth 2

What is its price i want to sell it 

2 minutes ago, Guest harsh said:

Hii i have a new pence 2 coin of 1975 

D.g.reg.f.d.1975 Elizabeth 2

What is its price i want to sell it 

It is worth nothing more than face value....sorry.

Guest Ekram

good morning I have 1971 new pence what are they worth 

IMG_3188.JPG

IMG_3190.JPG

IMG_3188.JPG

IMG_3190.JPG

Two pence. Very slightly over that if you melt them down for scrap, as I understand it. :)

• Like 2