British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
ChKy

10 Centimos 1878 counter mark

Dear all!

I heard that in the 19th century Britain had a shortage of coinage stil, so people started to import so called French Pennies into your country. The 5 and 10 Centimes pieces circulated in Britain as Half Pennies and Pennies respectively. Besides French coinage the coins of Spain, Italy or Luxembourg were imported as well (so countries directly or indirectly connected to each other by the Latin Monetary Union). After some time companies started to counter strike those coins with advertisements Here I have a 10 Centimos piece from Spain showing A.B.C.o as counter mark. Does anyone have information about, who released that one?

Thanks a lot for your efforts :)

10Centimos1877-Gegenstempel_zpscf1730da.jpg

Dear all!

I heard that in the 19th century Britain had a shortage of coinage stil, so people started to import so called French Pennies into your country. The 5 and 10 Centimes pieces circulated in Britain as Half Pennies and Pennies respectively. Besides French coinage the coins of Spain, Italy or Luxembourg were imported as well (so countries directly or indirectly connected to each other by the Latin Monetary Union). After some time companies started to counter strike those coins with advertisements Here I have a 10 Centimos piece from Spain showing A.B.C.o as counter mark. Does anyone have information about, who released that one?

Where did you get your information from? The 18thC was the era of chronic shortage of copper coins, but after the sporadic mintages of Geo IIII and William IIII, from Victoria onwards, the mintage of copper, and then bronze, was huge.

Sorry, I don't have any information about the counterstamp :(

Dear all!

Where did you get your information from? The 18thC was the era of chronic shortage of copper coins, but after the sporadic mintages of Geo IIII and William IIII, from Victoria onwards, the mintage of copper, and then bronze, was huge.

A very common coin with a private counterstamp - very little value other than as a curiosity

The only counterstamp of note on these Spanish bronze pieces are the very rare Puerto Rico issues counterstamped with a device similar to a fleur de lis

The punch was intended for use to revalue silver coins, the bronze was counterstamped in error

I've only seen two on Ebay over the years and both went for well above my budget

I have some citations about that topic:

Scott J.G. (1975). British Countermarks on Copper and Bronze coins. Spink & Son Ltd., London. ISBN 10: 0900696648, ISBN 13: 978-0-90069-664-0

Schulze, W.G. (1978). Gegenstempel auf Münzen Napoleons III (Teil 2). Die Münze, Nr. 4, April 1978, 190-193.

Hoffmann, P.K. (1978). Leserbrief in Die Münze, Nr. 7, Juli 1978, Seite 354 zu: Gegenstempel auf Münzen Napoleons III von Schulze, W.G. Die Münze, Nr. 3/4, März/April 1978.

Meyer, H. (1978). Französische Münzen – in England umgelaufen. Die Münze, Nr. 5, Mai 1978, 250-254.

Most of the literature I found about the topic are written in German. Sorry for that...

I understand it was more the fact that the sizes/weights had started to align in different countries due to the same blanks being used, and the quality of the coinage was also comparable with many of the countries using the same suppliers (Heaton et al). Therefore people had become confident in accepting the foreign coinage in transactions. It is surprising how many foreign bronze pieces are found when metal detecting, it was obviously a fairly common practise.

I understand it was more the fact that the sizes/weights had started to align in different countries due to the same blanks being used, and the quality of the coinage was also comparable with many of the countries using the same suppliers (Heaton et al). Therefore people had become confident in accepting the foreign coinage in transactions. It is surprising how many foreign bronze pieces are found when metal detecting, it was obviously a fairly common practise.

Yes - the equivalent French bronze piece is almost exactly the size of our bronze penny, if not exactly.

This looks as if it might be of interest..here