British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

For anyone interested, I had already stated (in the other CGS topic) that I have submitted a batch of coins to be authenticated, graded and slabbed by CGS. I will also be selling most of them (I haven't decided what selling method yet) and I think I will be able to gauge the level of interest and prices I realise compared to raw coins I have been selling over the last year, admittedly only on eBay.

There are 8 coins submitted on 7/2 - so they are already over the 30 day milestone - but they are all at the 'Finalising Grade' stage. I will post the CGS pics here and invite and welcome any comments, opinions as to grade, etc, and we will see what CGS have to say about them by way of comparison, hopefully in a few days' time.

Here are the first 2, I will post the rest during the course of this evening.

#1 CGS UIN 25574:

1820_HC_Rev_CGS_0025574_zps4b765aa8.png

1820_HC_Obv_CGS_0025574_zps743bd3aa.png

Edited by Paulus

#2 CGS UIN 25575:

1823_HC_Rev_CGS_0025575_zps1046b1ca.png

1823_HC_Obv_CGS_0025575_zpse79f6c9e.png

Peter has already commented on these, saying

"Nice coins.

The 1820 has a few edge dings at 12 o'clock on the reverse and both have a few digs.

They are practically as struck and IMO GEF+.

From the pictures I cannot see evidence of cleaning. "

Anyone with a CGS log in can of course track these on their site :)

#3 CGS UIN 25576:

This is a cracking 1834 halfcrown. I expect CGS would grade around the 78-82 mark.

Thanks Nick

I don't know what 'score' I would give the G4 HCs but the 1823 is half a grade better than the 1820 imo

Thanks Nick

I don't know what 'score' I would give the G4 HCs but the 1823 is half a grade better than the 1820 imo

I believe that for G4 HCs, all of the veins in the laurel leaves need to be pretty much intact for EF (or better) to be considered.

#4 CGS UIN 25577

I've never been any good at grading Gothic florins, I'll take a stab at EF60 +/- 5.

#5 CGS UIN 25579

An early milled (shilling) for a change

1712_SH_Rev_CGS_0025579_zps28fdb2d7.png

1712_SH_Obv_CGS_0025579_zpsf2714ad7.png

Edited by Paulus

Thanks Nick

I believe that for G4 HCs, all of the veins in the laurel leaves need to be pretty much intact for EF (or better) to be considered.

This is where I think CGS are too strict. You see, back in the day (40 years or more) EF was considered to be virtually UNC with light rubbing or marking only just visible to the naked eye. At that time, the differential between EF and UNC was not vast, being perhaps somewhere between 1.5 to 2 times the EF value.

But now, standards have slipped. EF is allowed to accommodate some wear, though admittedly only very light; however, certainly visible to the naked eye. This is reflected in the often vast differential in value between EF and UNC.

So while I applaud CGS trying to keep up standards, their strictness at the EF end is not reflective of modern-day real-world values.

This is where I think CGS are too strict. You see, back in the day (40 years or more) EF was considered to be virtually UNC with light rubbing or marking only just visible to the naked eye. At that time, the differential between EF and UNC was not vast, being perhaps somewhere between 1.5 to 2 times the EF value.

But now, standards have slipped. EF is allowed to accommodate some wear, though admittedly only very light; however, certainly visible to the naked eye. This is reflected in the often vast differential in value between EF and UNC.

So while I applaud CGS trying to keep up standards, their strictness at the EF end is not reflective of modern-day real-world values.

Interesting Peck. So was VF correspondingly higher too, or was there a bigger gap between VF and EF than there is now?

#6 CGS UIN 25578

Another Viccy Florin, bit more wear on this one

1884_FL_Rev_CGS_0025578_zps1a29eb3a.png

1884_FL_Obv_CGS_0025578_zpsde7dbbdf.png

I believe Ebay since 1998 has struck the general grading market.Yes it is crap.

Some claims are pathetic.

Fools and their money are soon parted.Dealers have dropped their guard.

If I bought a raw UNC coin from a dealer and it wasn't it would go back...UNLESS the price was at EF and I was happy with the coin.

Look at our friend MP who likes to increase grades at a whim.

A couple of varieties to finish.

#7 CGS UIN 25581

Bought as a B/E Sixpence from the London Coin Fair, but CGS so far not attributing it as such.

1697_SX_B_Rev_CGS_0025581_zps40b9bb55.png

1697_SX_B_Obv_CGS_0025581_zpsc2f0251e.png

Thanks for the grading challenge Paulus! I am not not experienced but would love to give this a go as a learning exercise. I will also not hedge my bets and will just go for single grades.

1820 halfcrown: EF60

1823 halfcrown: EF65

1834 halfcrown: absolutely stunning. I will stick my neck out and go for UNC82

First gothic florin: EF65

1712 shilling: I will pass. The marks on the obverse are problematic to grading (for someone of my experience)

Thanks Sword! I love the 1834 too, it is one I will be keeping :)

Last one of this trial batch.

#8 CGS UIN 25580

Bought from Michael Gouby as a 5 over <yet to be established> variety, and currently attributed by CGS as a new (?) variety being '5 over higher broken 5 in date'

1825_SH_Rev_CGS0025580_zpsb4596cc3.png

1825_SH_Obv_CGS0025580_zpsb2b8f55a.png

Thanks for all your comments so far :)

Whether I submit any further coins to CGS will depend on a whole range of factors, including:

• what I think of the products and services they offer once I have my coins returned
  • what I and you all think about the future for slabbed English coins, especially taking in to account the fascinating debates in the 'other' CGS topic
  • what I think of them after visiting their offices and witnessing their grading process (taking place very soon)
  • what the coins I am selling realise
  • what I feel about the coins I am keeping once they are 'entombed' and therefore 'separated' from the rest of my collection

As I have said, this is a trial run, a kind of experiment, as I wanted to witness and experience this side of collecting first hand :)

Interesting Peck. So was VF correspondingly higher too, or was there a bigger gap between VF and EF than there is now?

I do think VF was a bit higher, yes, and the greatest gap was between F and VF. The implication there is that VF and above may have been the 'collector's grades', with F being acceptable for rarities, newcomers, temporary stopgaps. What seems to have happened is that the gap between grades has evened out somewhat, with an often correspondingly eye-watering jump in values between each grade.

I think Spinks would deny all this, but they - like CGS - grade quite strictly I think, which is why their values sometimes look on the high side.

I remember the day when a Spink EF was just about Unc to everyone else...Spink EF just meant that someone had breathed on the coin.

#6 CGS UIN 25578

Interesting that you say more wear on that one. I would say less wear, but more weakness. Those lions are notoriously weak on some of the Gothic florins.

I'll stick my neck out, with an AU78 prediction.

#6 CGS UIN 25578

Interesting that you say more wear on that one. I would say less wear, but more weakness. Those lions are notoriously weak on some of the Gothic florins.

Thanks Nick, that's just my ignorance for you! :blink:

#6 CGS UIN 25578

Thanks Nick, that's just my ignorance for you! :blink:

Don't count on it. It's just my opinion, no more, no less. I'm sure that one of the 'gods' will give you a more categorical answer.

Really like the 1834,looks like there are a few nice tones coming through in the fields,I think CGS are alot harder on the grades than most,and would put AU75 for this h/Crown.

uin 25574 could be a VF 55.

uin 25576 could be a VF 60.

I think no matter what grades they get I would still be happy with them in my collection.