British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Accumulator

Stamps versus coins over the last 30 years

Stamps have only been about since Vickie was on the throne.

Top point, I was worried there for a second! Stamps have nothing of the heritage coins have! Phew!

But on the plus side, you can collect an example of the first ever stamp... I think that's quite a nice statement for a collection to make.

While I agree that coins have been a better investment, the 1840 Penny Black is a beautiful and iconic stamp, and one of my favorites. If you wanted to collect only one stamp, this, the world’s first stamp, would be a good choice. Since it always seems to be in demand, it should also be relatively easy to sell compared to other stamps.

Best Regards,

InforaPenny

While I agree that coins have been a better investment, the 1840 Penny Black is a beautiful and iconic stamp, and one of my favorites. If you wanted to collect only one stamp, this, the world’s first stamp, would be a good choice. Since it always seems to be in demand, it should also be relatively easy to sell compared to other stamps.

Best Regards,

InforaPenny

I do agree with you, and I still have the Penny Black bought with the money I made from selling my train set. I think it cost me about £9 in around 1970. I just checked and there are 1300 of them on eBay right now, most fetching no more than £100.

I have 2 of my Fathers stamp albums.The 1st is the one he collected as a young lad in the 40's and the 2nd quality collected in the 50's/60's.Both have been looked at by experts and apparently worth very little.There are many Vickies from all commonwealth countries & USA with some very high cat values.

I have been toying with selling pages at a time on Ebay.

I also have a small suitcase full of Ciggie cards.

I would love to convert these to some nice coins. :)

I have 2 of my Fathers stamp albums.The 1st is the one he collected as a young lad in the 40's and the 2nd quality collected in the 50's/60's.Both have been looked at by experts and apparently worth very little.There are many Vickies from all commonwealth countries & USA with some very high cat values.

I have been toying with selling pages at a time on Ebay.

I also have a small suitcase full of Ciggie cards.

I would love to convert these to some nice coins. :)

Likewise, I have some inherited ciggie cards too. I looked on eBay but am not going to get many coins for the money these will realise. If only they'd collected quality coins! :(

It's odd really. When I was in Lille last year there were several shops devoted to stamps and coins. More than you'd find in a similar sized town here in England. And if you think of the Prinz or Lighthouse ranges, they do as many philatelic as numismatic accessories. I wonder if it's just the UK that has gone off the boil for stamps?

I do think things like First day Covers have done the hobby no good. I have albums of them from my Dad and they are worth next to nothing. Certainly not the £00s he spent on the ruddy things! OK, he did collect other stamps and maybe they are worth a bit more. But if he'd collected good condition coins from the same period, I suspect they would be worth quite a bit more now. Apart from the 50ps with hands on he had a liking for anyway!