British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

RENNES

Mint-made or not?

Mint-made or not?

For this series of coins there is French and Flemish Varietys.

For this type " Belgique" the year 1922 doesnt exist.

The coin is dated 1905.

I'm almost certain this occurred post mint.

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

RIMG0046_zps4ee16d85.jpg

RIMG0047_zps986320ad.jpg

Certainly done after minting. Possibly in 1922!

It is interesting considering the only year where no coins were minted from this type "Belgique" was 1922.. :unsure:

But the 1922 is a mirror image, so what (presumably) coin was used to impress the new date?

But the 1922 is a mirror image, so what (presumably) coin was used to impress the new date?

I think so. But im not sure. Clearly thats what appears to have happened. But it seems unlikely for example two Cupro nickel coins to strike one another leaving the impression.

The impression is quite defined and also the font appears to be from something like 1922 2 french franc coin. The 9 is the giveaway.

Maybe the coins were stacked up in a box some force upon the top caused the softer coin to receive the impression. Or someone lined up two coins and hit it with a hammer.

After a coin has been struck I thought it would harden the metal..?

I think so. But im not sure. Clearly thats what appears to have happened. But it seems unlikely for example two Cupro nickel coins to strike one another leaving the impression.

The impression is quite defined and also the font appears to be from something like 1922 2 french franc coin. The 9 is the giveaway.

Maybe the coins were stacked up in a box some force upon the top caused the softer coin to receive the impression. Or someone lined up two coins and hit it with a hammer.

It hasn't happened by accident in a bag. The hammer theory is the most likely option.

It hasn't happened by accident in a bag. The hammer theory is the most likely option.

I would agree Rob. Thanks guys. Its still nice to have in the collection though... :)