British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Danz

Freeing slabbed coin.

Hi all. I have just bought a 1856 Shilling slabbed by CGS. It is graded AU 75. I don't want to keep it in the slab as it won't fit in my display case. Do have to break the slab with brute force or is there a way of getting it out without breaking the slab?. Cheers all. Dan

Edited by Danz

Hi all. I have just bought a 1856 Shilling slabbed by CGS. It is graded AU 75. I don't want to keep it in the slab as it won't fit in my display case. Do have to break the slab with brute force or is there a way of getting it out without breaking the slab?. Cheers all. Dan

Hack-saw through the top corner, then lever apart with a screwdriver, moving slowly and carefully all the way around.

The CGS plastic fractures and shards up quite badly, so go careful, as the bits are definitely sharp enough to damage the coin. I tend to start from the top...pliers on one side, and a pair of pincers the other, cracking the edges off bit at a time. Sometimes you can get to a point where you can lever the two sides apart, before getting too close to the coin, but not always.

The perfect way would be to 'junior hacksaw' the thick edge off down one long side, and then across the two shorter edges, and then finally 'prize' it open!

As Mel Gibson then cried................ :)

Cheers for the quick replies. Thats my job for tonight. I will get some pics of it once it has got it's "FREEDOM"

This might sound brutal but its always worked for me.

Put it on its side inside a plastic bag and hit it side-on with a hammer...a large hammer is fine.....it cracks open a treat.

Always reminds me of when I accidently T-Boned one of those old Rodney Trotter type 3 wheeler Robin Reliants in my car years ago.....it just cracked open..!..no-one hurt....

Industrial bandsaw worked a treat on one i had. :)

JOB DONE! Used a Dremel. Cut off 3 sides and cracked out. Cheers guys.

post-7160-009243700 1362342642_thumb.jpg

More pics. Can only seem to do one at a time. :angry:

post-7160-002114900 1362342886_thumb.jpg

Obv

post-7160-005482700 1362342967_thumb.jpg

In the case. :)

post-7160-061828000 1362343070_thumb.jpg

The poor thing, I think you should have left it in the slab! ;)

Nice coin! :)

The poor thing, I think you should have left it in the slab! ;)

Nice coin! :)

Cheers :)

Video ~

Video ~

Just like that. ;)

Cool! Anyone know if ANACS slabs (newer, yellow label) present any particular challenges?

Worth keeping the CGS ticket.The coin would easily hit MS grades in the US.

• Like 1

Peter's comment is very "on the money".

Really can't decide whether to keep my slabbed coins, slabbed or not. In grading terms just don't have a strong view about it. Will it become an all consuming passion here?

Peter, by the way, you have mail.

Kind regards

Mark

Really can't decide whether to keep my slabbed coins, slabbed or not. In grading terms just don't have a strong view about it. Will it become an all consuming passion here?

Slabs are fine if you have no strong views or storage issues. Me? All my other coins are raw, so keeping just one in a slab makes little sense to me.

Slabs are fine if you have no strong views or storage issues. Me? All my other coins are raw, so keeping just one in a slab makes little sense to me.

Tom, can't bring myself to slab what isn't. Or unslab what is. Perhaps just plain indecisive?

If you intend on selling it in the near future then keep it slabned, if not , then Crack it open but keep the ticket

• Like 1

Too risky for me that. I'm fortunate in having a workshop with a vice. Other than that all you need is two blocks of soft wood to clamp the slab in the vice and a hacksaw to cut along two sides; no risk of jagged bits of plastic scratching the coin. And always keep the label.

If you intend on selling it in the near future then keep it slabned, if not , then Crack it open but keep the ticket

Ah, so stabbing has a value then. Wise advice.

Mark

Slabbing may have a value. It may appeal to those who like slabs and are driven by numbers and similarly to those who don't - the latter because they like the coin if not the plastic. Out of the slab it will almost certainly only appeal to those who don't.

Edited by Rob

Want to know a bad method for breaking slabs? Pair of pliers to either end and twist against each other! Shards of hard plastic explode everywhere, and the coin is [usually] still stuck in the midst of the centerpiece.

Kids, DO NOT TRY THIS!

I can't imagine anybody doing this...LOL.

I just hold it in hand and nibble the edges off with a pair of pincers! Normally 2 and a bit sides are enough to prize it open enough to drop the coin onto the bed or similar!