British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Russ777

What is this large coin please?

post-4483-037798500 1361622076_thumb.jpg

post-4483-009384900 1361622064_thumb.jpg

Can any one identify this large coin. With the dragon and Sun symbol I am thinking Japanese or Chinese. An idea to it's date and value and catalogue value etc would be useful too.

It came with an early 20th century sailor's effects so most likely picked up on his travels...

It measures 12cms across and is brass looking.

Thanks Russell

Can any one identify this large coin. With the dragon and Sun symbol I am thinking Japanese or Chinese. An idea to it's date and value and catalogue value etc would be useful too.

It came with an early 20th century sailor's effects so most likely picked up on his travels...

Thanks Russell

Do you really mean 12cms across? I.e. the size of a small plate.

I know nothing about these, but have this link which may help: Chinese coins Scroll down and you should find it.

Edited by Accumulator

Thanks Russell

Do you really mean 12cms across? I.e. the size of a small plate.

I know nothing about these, but have this link which may help: Chinese coins Scroll down and you should find it.

Yes it is really 12cms across!

I believe this is a charm, souvenir or lucky 'feng shui' coin. The inscription (legend) on this charm is zheng de tong bao (正德通宝). Zheng De was the title of the Ming emperor Wu Zong ,although it is not believed any actual coins were made using the title.

The words are considered auspicious and so popular for charms. When it was made ... no idea, though my guess would be it's modern. More modern than the 1600s (Ming dynasty) anyway!

Hope that helps.

Edited by TomGoodheart

Possibly one of these, made in the 1930s. However the size quoted (103mm) is smaller than yours, so difficult to be certain I'm afraid.

Plus the details are slightly different, so I'm wondering if yours is a more modern replica?

Edited by TomGoodheart

Possibly one of these, made in the 1930s. However the size quoted (103mm) is smaller than yours, so difficult to be certain I'm afraid.

Plus the details are slightly different, so I'm wondering if yours is a more modern replica?

Thanks for your help. It was picked up as I say by a sailor on his travels in the early 1900s so I think mine might be an older replica than 1930s but obviously probably not 1600s! But I am guessing they did not have brass then! Mine looks like a brass type material. When did they invent brass??

It is possible this was a gift or purchase by the sailor at the time. Perhaps mine is larger as it came from a temple or such like? It is possible it got into the collection later than 1900s though...

Interesting though

Thanks Russ

Thanks for your help. It was picked up as I say by a sailor on his travels in the early 1900s so I think mine might be an older replica than 1930s but obviously probably not 1600s! But I am guessing they did not have brass then! Mine looks like a brass type material. When did they invent brass??

It is possible this was a gift or purchase by the sailor at the time. Perhaps mine is larger as it came from a temple or such like? It is possible it got into the collection later than 1900s though...

Interesting though

Thanks Russ

Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc and has been around thousands of years, but the proportions of the metals can be varied, so maybe yours is just a different mix. As to the value ... difficult to say. In the same auction I linked to above there was another example that went for several hundred $$, so I guess it's down to what someone would pay on the day. Might be worth contacting an auction house with Chinese connections (most of the larger ones do) if you're interested in selling.

As you say .. interesting item!