British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

TerryT

1699 halfpenny no bar in A

A while ago, I inquired about the value of two 1699 halfpennies, type t2d, that have no stop after the date. I was disappointed to hear that they are worth about the same as the type with the stop (even though on a site by Tony Clayton the t2d in FINE condition is listed at 5 times the value of the one with the stop). I recently acquired another 1699 halfpenny without the stop, but this one also has no crossbars in the A's. Again from Tony Clayton's site, there is a listing for no crossbar A's, 1699b, but it appears by the placing of this listing, that it is for the type that has the date in the exergue. Is this right, or does it refer to the one with the date after Britannia ? Is there a designated number for a 1699, no stop, no crossbars, or is this combination unknown ? Yes, it has corrosion damage. I'm going to run out of kb's for photos, so I'll make a second post about the stop.

post-487-041270500 1361398493_thumb.jpg

post-487-004444500 1361398512_thumb.jpg

It probably has nothing really to do with the missing stop, but then again...... Under the kings ear, there is a raised dot about the size of a stop. On the reverse, on Britannia's stomach, exactly opposite to where the dot is under the ear, there is a depression with a raised area inside it. Possibly the stop on the die was clogged with metal, which eventually fell out, and these two marks are the result ????

post-487-022416700 1361398968_thumb.jpg

post-487-072099200 1361398984_thumb.jpg

It probably has nothing really to do with the missing stop, but then again...... Under the kings ear, there is a raised dot about the size of a stop. On the reverse, on Britannia's stomach, exactly opposite to where the dot is under the ear, there is a depression with a raised area inside it. Possibly the stop on the die was clogged with metal, which eventually fell out, and these two marks are the result ????

These dots are the centre points to help with engraving the dies.

A while ago, I inquired about the value of two 1699 halfpennies, type t2d, that have no stop after the date. I was disappointed to hear that they are worth about the same as the type with the stop (even though on a site by Tony Clayton the t2d in FINE condition is listed at 5 times the value of the one with the stop). I recently acquired another 1699 halfpenny without the stop, but this one also has no crossbars in the A's. Again from Tony Clayton's site, there is a listing for no crossbar A's, 1699b, but it appears by the placing of this listing, that it is for the type that has the date in the exergue. Is this right, or does it refer to the one with the date after Britannia ? Is there a designated number for a 1699, no stop, no crossbars, or is this combination unknown ? Yes, it has corrosion damage. I'm going to run out of kb's for photos, so I'll make a second post about the stop.

I certainly know about it, though whether it is documented in any reference book is another matter. Just about every conceivable combination of unbarred A, stops, overstruck letters, dates etc exists somewhere. Spink lists about 40 William III halfpennies for the three types, but my own list has at least 100 varieties.

Sorry, just realised that is a P676. Stop before date only and is also listed in Spink.

Edited by Rob

"These dots are the centre points to help with engraving the dies." AHA ! Thanks, that makes sense. Didn't notice the dots on my other ones, since they are very worn, but after looking closer, I found it on one of them.