British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Paulus

1710 Anne Sixpence on eBay

A decent strike of a usually weakly struck coin and in reasonable condition. Add onto that 2 determinred ebay bidders and hey presto! Spink is only a guide Paul and is quite often oceans out on either side.

A decent strike of a usually weakly struck coin and in reasonable condition. Add onto that 2 determinred ebay bidders and hey presto! Spink is only a guide Paul and is quite often oceans out on either side.

Thanks John, and thanks for the Scottish shillings you sent me, very pleased with them :)

Or, when you get two determined bidders, they will hit a crazy price that won't be repeated for a long time...

That's a horrible coin, worth half of £400, surely? eBay is as crazy as usual! I know it's an R&P coin, but it's not in the least bit attractive.

There's got to be a better one out there for that money?

Thanks John, and thanks for the Scottish shillings you sent me, very pleased with them :)

No problem. I will eventually get around to listing some more GVI shillings when I can free myself from accounts and pain in the posterior ebay idiots buyers scammers....

Anyone with two legs...or even a wheelchair can get around the Midland fair and buy quality.

I've done it so much leaving the family in a swimming pool hotel..I do an early brekkie.On the way home I have a pocket full of coins KFC

if they are lucky.OK a deal at the hotels is dirt cheap.We did Mcdonalds hotel for £99 including brekkie....four meals plus breckfasr.

The small birdie type things was appalling. ;)

That's a horrible coin, worth half of £400, surely? eBay is as crazy as usual! I know it's an R&P coin, but it's not in the least bit attractive.

I agree. While I don't have that date I would not be interested given the lack of quality.

I agree. While I don't have that date I would not be interested given the lack of quality.

Which is why I was amazed at the price, a low-mid grade AND unattractive ... but as people have said, it only takes 2 keen bidders! - and having just checked, there were only 2 bidders from £60 up

Edited by Paulus

Which is why I was amazed at the price, a low-mid grade AND unattractive ... but as people have said, it only takes 2 keen bidders! - and having just checked, there were only 2 bidders from £60 up

It's an ill wind... a link from that one led to someone selling a 1707 sixpence, all but VF, for a mere £78 and free postage - so I snapped it up :D

found anne to be overpriced quite often on ebay

That's why I moved quickly :D The seller deals more in antiques than coins, so quite conservative prices (just need to wait for it to arrive and look like its picture :ph34r: )

found anne to be overpriced quite often on ebay

Unless I happen to be the seller Scott, in which case it seems to sell for a loss :(

A truly crazy price. The nice one shown fetched about £300.00 in Heritage

who always appear to get massive prices and the second one again in Heritage

slabbed EF40 fetched about £100.00 . (Both sales where a while back though)

post-6970-089802700 1361521600_thumb.jpg

post-6970-098195800 1361521647_thumb.jpg

I have been noticing the prices on Heritage. They just sold a 1887 sixpence (withdrawn type) for $56 or $70 if you include the buyers premium. Now it is a nice coin but not exactly uncommon and that is a high price to pay for it. Anyone know why they are able to get those prices?

Seems to me that Heritage might be a good place to sell but perhaps not such a good place to buy.

Also with regard to Heritage ...... they have a couple of sixpences in their next internet auction .... 1886 YH and 1887 YH. This is a photo of one of them. Does anyone think that tghis one has been cleaned?

13313594.jpg

Surface hairlines with AU details appear to suggest it has been cleaned.

I have been noticing the prices on Heritage. They just sold a 1887 sixpence (withdrawn type) for $56 or $70 if you include the buyers premium. Now it is a nice coin but not exactly uncommon and that is a high price to pay for it. Anyone know why they are able to get those prices?

Seems to me that Heritage might be a good place to sell but perhaps not such a good place to buy.

Heritage get high prices because they start the bidding at SPINK book price for grade, thius ensuring everything is overpriced that they selll. Its one auction house i don't use for that very reason

Heritage get high prices because they start the bidding at SPINK book price for grade, thius ensuring everything is overpriced that they selll. Its one auction house i don't use for that very reason

So, as Jaggy comments, is Heritage a good place to sell but not to buy? If people are prepared to pay more than Spink prices, plus premium, presumably because there is some cache to a Heritage auction?? I will be selling some decent grades soon and will need to decide where ... if Heritage I will want to avoid any import duties etc, any tips very welcome!

So, as Jaggy comments, is Heritage a good place to sell but not to buy? If people are prepared to pay more than Spink prices, plus premium, presumably because there is some cache to a Heritage auction?? I will be selling some decent grades soon and will need to decide where ... if Heritage I will want to avoid any import duties etc, any tips very welcome!

Import duties are for Incoming Paul, not for outgoing. If you're posting to Heritage then thats outgoing. Heritage as i said usually start their bidding at spink book for grade, not everyone bids their, i don't because of this, there's nothing left in their Coins and you may need to wait several years before it has something in it for you

Edited by azda

Import duties are for Incoming Paul, not for outgoing. If you're posting to Heritage then thats outgoing. Heritage as i said usually start their bidding at spink book for grade, not everyone bids their, i don't because of this, there's nothing left in their Coins and you may need to wait several years before it has something in it for you

Thanks for that Dave, I have an experiment on the go and will post pics of the coins I am thinking of selling soon, inviting all and any suggestions for the best way to sell them!

Thanks for the insight re: the Heritage pricing. But they do seem to find people willing to pay that price so the market must be there. Or is it because American collectors want to buy their coins slabbed and graded and Heritage do that. I can see bidding there for that special coin in great condition that one is looking for. But I don't see it for a fairly common coin like the 1887-sh (I already have 4).

I personally believe its because of the slabs. Not every consignment to Heritage is slabbed, so the y slab them to, which in turn will raise thw cost of the coin. Then also the American market for slabs and you have a receipe for fast money. I personally won't ever buy from them, far to expensive. Get a spink book out and look at some of the British Coins for sale and check their start prices.

Edited by azda

I personally believe its because of the slabs. Not every consignment to Heritage is slabbed, so the y slab them to, which in turn will raise thw cost of the coin. Then also the American market for slabs and you have a receipe for fast money. I personally won't ever buy from them, far to expensive. Get a spink book out and look at some of the British Coins for sale and check their start prices.

I am only considering selling, and whether giving the prices they are achieving for slabbed high grade English coins, that will be my best method, taking into account all other costs ... like you, I have never considered buying from them!