British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Mr T

halfpenny with new zealand reverse

Such a halfpenny dated 1965 is mentioned on page 30 of my Collectors' Coins GB 2011. Does anyone have any details? Is it a unique piece? Was it discovered in Britain or New Zealand?

Such a halfpenny dated 1965 is mentioned on page 30 of my Collectors' Coins GB 2011. Does anyone have any details? Is it a unique piece? Was it discovered in Britain or New Zealand?

Probably not unique - here's one on eBay with a BIN of £25.

The coin on eBay is a regular New Zealand 1/2 penny, but it is struck on a "thin" planchet.

The coin on eBay is a regular New Zealand 1/2 penny, but it is struck on a "thin" planchet.

Yeah, and £25 seems to cheap for this error. CCGB gives the price as £450 but it doesn't say when or where it went for that.

Does anyone have any old CCGBs to see when this coin was first added?

Does anyone have any old CCGBs to see when this coin was first added?

I have a lot of old CCGB... it's in the 2005 (and later) edition at £450, also in the 2001 edition at £450 (pre Perkins) but it's not in a 1987 edition.

It's not in my old Krause catalogue, or in an old Spinks or in a coin yearbook.

But it is in Coincraft where it says "Error coin with New Zealand reverse; weight 5.8 grams; possibly unique" and a value of £500.

Hope that helps,

Mark

Yeah, and £25 seems to cheap for this error. CCGB gives the price as £450 but it doesn't say when or where it went for that.

Why don't you email the forum owner as he's also the author of CCGB

Yeah, but the post before yours says it was in CCGB "pre-Perkins'.

Original post states its in CCGB 2011, so as i said, email the forum owner.

What's the point? It was in CCGB pre-Perkins. There's every chance he doesn't know.

Hm, I had a feeling that its addition might predate the current author's involvement. Might give it a shot anyway as I don't know where else I could find any information.

I have a lot of old CCGB... it's in the 2005 (and later) edition at £450, also in the 2001 edition at £450 (pre Perkins) but it's not in a 1987 edition.

It's not in my old Krause catalogue, or in an old Spinks or in a coin yearbook.

But it is in Coincraft where it says "Error coin with New Zealand reverse; weight 5.8 grams; possibly unique" and a value of £500.

Hope that helps,

Mark

Thanks Mark, very helpful.

What's the point? It was in CCGB pre-Perkins. There's every chance he doesn't know.

Hmmmm my 2010 CCGB book was penned by Chris, which then gives the kikelyhood that 2011 was also done by C.H.Perkins because we know that 2013 was also penned by Chris. Please read properly Peck

Hmmmm my 2010 CCGB book was penned by Chris, which then gives the kikelyhood that 2011 was also done by C.H.Perkins because we know that 2013 was also penned by Chris. Please read properly Peck

Jeez, do I have to spoonfeed you Dave? HERE IS THE RELEVANT QUOTE FROM THE POST ABOVE!!!!

"I have a lot of old CCGB... it's in the 2005 (and later) edition at £450, also in the 2001 edition at £450 (pre Perkins) but it's not in a 1987 edition."

Note that "..also in the 2001 edition at £450 (pre Perkins).." Do you get it now??

Well for anyone interested, it sold recently here in Australia (lot 1602) for $6000: http://downies.com/aca/PDFs/313/Auction_313.pdf

Probably best not to read anything into being sold in Australia as the Edward VIII coins for sale on this site seem to have been sourced from the same auction.