British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Black_knight

Could anyone tell me what this is please?

Hello,

I'm from Cornwall, and while helping my Uncle go through some of my Great Grandfathers effects, we found this coin.

2vcc080.jpg

dwm86.jpg

As the story went, my Grandfather took a job as a grave digger at a local church and found it. But no one could ever agree it's country of origin or even what the little character was on it.

It looks somewhat like a Lion to me, but all searches for "Lion Coins" don't seem to throw up anything that looks like this.

We would all be very grateful if the mystery could finally be solved.

As far as I can tell, your 'lion' is a sardula; a mythical lion like beast.

The coin is a 25 Cash of the Indian Princely state of Mysore, made out of copper and dating from between 1799 and 1810.

http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php?topic=9360.0

It was issued under one of the Wodeyar Rajas, but which one I'm not entirely sure. Hopefully that's enough info for you to search further if you like.

The coin is a 25 Cash of the Indian Princely state of Mysore, made out of copper and dating from between 1799 and 1810.

It was issued under one of the Wodeyar Rajas, but which one I'm not entirely sure. Hopefully that's enough info for you to search further if you like.

Wow, thank you for the quick reply.

How this obscure Indian coin made it to the grounds of small village church is anyone's guess? Rather than solving a mystery, you may have made an even bigger one for us.

This certainly gives me more to read up about.

Thanks again for the information!

Edited by Black_knight

Wow, thank you for the quick reply.

How this obscure Indian coin made it to the grounds of small village church is anyone's guess? Rather than solving a mystery, you may have made an even bigger one for us.

This certainly gives me more to read up about.

Thanks again for the information!

Perhaps less of a mystery when you realise the British ruled India until 1948.

Yes, I'm assuming someone with a military connection brought it back from India. We Brits were the people that put the Princes in power, so presumably had a fair amount of contact. Although it's not terribly clear, the coin even says XXV (25) CAH (in blundered script) on it so the English could see what it is.

Yes, I'm assuming someone with a military connection brought it back from India. We Brits were the people that put the Princes in power, so presumably had a fair amount of contact. Although it's not terribly clear, the coin even says XXV (25) CAH (in blundered script) on it so the English could see what it is.

Or a civil servant, or an engineer, or a transport expert, or a missionary, or a teacher, or a scientist, etc etc. We really had a finger in every pie!