British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
1949threepence

Foreign bank notes

I'm obviously not a beginner, but I am a total novice when it comes to this topic, so posting in the beginner's forum.

A couple of work colleagues came to me today for advice, (knowing my interest in coins), with a huge album full of foreign bank notes, between plastic leaves, which had been given to them, as trustees of our social club, by the security guy as a donation towards their charity work, as much of the profits made by the club, are donated to charity. He himself has absolutely no knowledge of banknotes, nor even an interest, as far as I know. They were given to him by someone else I believe. Beyond that, I'm unaware of the history.

The book is chock full of really nice looking bank notes from various countries, some of them clearly uncirculated.

Anyway, I'm posting this to see if anyone knows of a foreign banknote expert they can let me know the name and location of, or a suitable book on the subject, in order for the 2 girls to try and obtain some sort of valuation for the notes, as a possible basis for sale.

Thanks in advance guys.

Edited by 1949threepence

Krause has 3 Books for seperate years. Failing that, try Pam West, no Relation to Fred

You could try looking in the archive section of London Coins - they have sold lots of banknotes.

Krause has 3 Books for seperate years. Failing that, try Pam West, no Relation to Fred

You could try looking in the archive section of London Coins - they have sold lots of banknotes.

OK, thanks gents.

Older American banknotes sell for quite a bit. Keep an eye out for "star" or replacement notes when it comes to US notes and US Military Payment Certificates

Depending on the year, a US star note will either be something like *234234F (the serial number but preceded with a star) or something like F234234234* (ending with a star) these are more scarce and can fetch much higher prices, especially for older years or uncirculated notes.

A US military payment certificate will have a serial number such as F23423423F, however, if it is missing the last letter, it is a replacement note and the values soar to tenfold or more the normal prices.

Both star and replacement notes are caused by mistakes in the printing, for example the with the star note *234234F the note bearing 234234F was found to be defective and destroyed. Since they don't want to have printed 2 notes with the same serial number but still want some consistency, they printed *234234F

Edited by Generic Lad

Older American banknotes sell for quite a bit. Keep an eye out for "star" or replacement notes when it comes to US notes and US Military Payment Certificates

Depending on the year, a US star note will either be something like *234234F (the serial number but preceded with a star) or something like F234234234* (ending with a star) these are more scarce and can fetch much higher prices, especially for older years or uncirculated notes.

A US military payment certificate will have a serial number such as F23423423F, however, if it is missing the last letter, it is a replacement note and the values soar to tenfold or more the normal prices.

Both star and replacement notes are caused by mistakes in the printing, for example the with the star note *234234F the note bearing 234234F was found to be defective and destroyed. Since they don't want to have printed 2 notes with the same serial number but still want some consistency, they printed *234234F

In the UK you have a mix of letters and numerals. They kept the prefix M exclusively for replacement notes.

I'm obviously not a beginner, but I am a total novice when it comes to this topic, so posting in the beginner's forum.

A couple of work colleagues came to me today for advice, (knowing my interest in coins), with a huge album full of foreign bank notes, between plastic leaves, which had been given to them, as trustees of our social club, by the security guy as a donation towards their charity work, as much of the profits made by the club, are donated to charity. He himself has absolutely no knowledge of banknotes, nor even an interest, as far as I know. They were given to him by someone else I believe. Beyond that, I'm unaware of the history.

The book is chock full of really nice looking bank notes from various countries, some of them clearly uncirculated.

Anyway, I'm posting this to see if anyone knows of a foreign banknote expert they can let me know the name and location of, or a suitable book on the subject, in order for the 2 girls to try and obtain some sort of valuation for the notes, as a possible basis for sale.

Thanks in advance guys.

I deal in foreign notes and can also give an auction estimate for the next PFK sale if they are interested.

Obviously a live auction with live internet bidding (which PFK is) would give a better return than selling to a dealer. Drop me an email if they would like advice. If it is to be sold on behalf of a registered charity we would sell on a 0% commission basis for them.

Edited by argentumandcoins

Thanks in advance guys.

I deal in foreign notes and can also give an auction estimate for the next PFK sale if they are interested.

Obviously a live auction with live internet bidding (which PFK is) would give a better return than selling to a dealer. Drop me an email if they would like advice. If it is to be sold on behalf of a registered charity we would sell on a 0% commission basis for them.

Thanks John ~ an e mail may well be coming to you in the near future. Much appreciated.

I think every newbies post in this tread am i right friends?

Villas for Rent in France

Edited by Leesa Jhon

I think every newbies post in this tread am i right friends?

Villas for Rent in France

You can post in any appropriate thread - but generally this forum is for new collectors who have an enquiry.