British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Colin88

Building a website for your coins

I was going to post this on COIN SOFTWARE forum but I dont seem to be able to get into it?.

Anyway I want to finally construct a website with pictures of all the my coins...can anyone recommend a SIMPLE way of doing it?

Has anyone used WEEBLY for example....looks like I might be able to cope with that...but if there's anything simpler out there then I'd appreciate someone pointing me in that direction....failing that I might have to get a techie to build one for me.

Thanks

I was going to post this on COIN SOFTWARE forum but I dont seem to be able to get into it?.

Anyway I want to finally construct a website with pictures of all the my coins...can anyone recommend a SIMPLE way of doing it?

Has anyone used WEEBLY for example....looks like I might be able to cope with that...but if there's anything simpler out there then I'd appreciate someone pointing me in that direction....failing that I might have to get a techie to build one for me.

Thanks

Ask our friend Accumulator, who has done such a sterling job on his pennies. Whether it was a simple job though.. now you're asking.

Accumulator has the best website for displaying his coins ive done a few websites and his is fairly simple :) As in all things the simple ons are the best

That's very kind of you Peckris & Pies.

By all means take a look at my website (follow the link in my signature). Personally I think that nothing beats the flexibility and satisfaction of constructing something yourself, but I appreciate this is difficult if you have no technical knowledge. I was fortunate to have an IT background so it wasn't too difficult, but all the information you require is just a Google away. Essentially you need to either use either an off-the-shelf web building package or write the html yourself. All browsers allow you to view the html behind any website so if you find something you like just take a look at how it was written. Once you've produced the website it's worth buying a suitable domain name and taking a web hosting package. Sometimes these services can be purchased in combination. The total cost of my site (which is actually very basic), including the domain name (mycoincollection.co.uk) and hosting is about £100 per year.

Edited by Accumulator

I was with you all the may then you mentioned "...looking at html behind browsers..??" unfortunatley at that point the eyes glazed over and the shutters came down....its gone onto the too-difficult pile.....I'll contact my IT techie and get him to do it ......thanks to all anyway.

Hi Pies......as for TVR's (..and I dont mean Tequila/Vodka/Redbulls....a fun drink by the way) I would love to buy one but I live in London so no guarantee that it would make it to Newark...)

I was with you all the may then you mentioned "...looking at html behind browsers..??" unfortunatley at that point the eyes glazed over and the shutters came down....its gone onto the too-difficult pile.....I'll contact my IT techie and get him to do it ......thanks to all anyway.

Hi Pies......as for TVR's (..and I dont mean Tequila/Vodka/Redbulls....a fun drink by the way) I would love to buy one but I live in London so no guarantee that it would make it to Newark...)

I understand 'eyes glazing over' feeling, but if you rely on someone else, then every little change you want to make (new coin, better photo, correct error etc.) means contacting someone else to get it done. Over time I'm sure you'd more than make up for the the initial effort with the flexibility to make changes yourself within, literally, seconds.

NIce site Pies.

Edited by Accumulator

There used to be an application (in the 80s and 90s) called HyperCard - using it you could build the equivalent of a website, i.e. something with pictures and links to other pages, in a pretty short time whether you had IT experience or not. HTML is just the same really, and evolved from HyperCard which itself was based on HyperText which is as old as the hills. It sounds much more complicated than it is.

Colin,

If you have enough intelligence to navigate your way around a computer, drive a car, and read a book, you're home and dry!

There is a book that talks you through the entire process of building your own website the PROPER way, using html & CSS, absolutely fantastic, and actually great fun to follow!

The book is by Sitepoint and called 'build your own website the right way, using HTML and CSS,' it's by a true star, Ian Lloyd!

You can visit the Sitepoint website (.com) and download a couple of the chapters for free, just to see if it floats your boat!

His book is a bit like building a jigsaw puzzle, you can fill in a couple of bits, and then come back to it a couple of days later!

You'll love it! ;)

Colin,

If you have enough intelligence to navigate your way around a computer, drive a car, and read a book, you're home and dry!

There is a book that talks you through the entire process of building your own website the PROPER way, using html & CSS, absolutely fantastic, and actually great fun to follow!

The book is by Sitepoint and called 'build your own website the right way, using HTML and CSS,' it's by a true star, Ian Lloyd!

You can visit the Sitepoint website (.com) and download a couple of the chapters for free, just to see if it floats your boat!

His book is a bit like building a jigsaw puzzle, you can fill in a couple of bits, and then come back to it a couple of days later!

You'll love it! ;)

Sounds like a great idea. My site is really rough and ready behind the scenes, without even using CSS (style sheets). Given a bit more time I would have used these too, though.

Colin,

You'll love it! ;)

Sounds like a great idea. My site is really rough and ready behind the scenes, without even using CSS (style sheets). Given a bit more time I would have used these too, though.

It really is a great book, and the website a fantastic resource too!

Your site's great as-is! I'm regularly on it, checking out how any given coin SHOULD look! :)

Why don't we build one that could display the Forum's virtual collection - i.e. populate it with the best example of a particular coin that any one of us can come up with. Each coin could have a virtual ticket saying whose it really is, and then when people show their new acquisitions, they could upgrade the existing if they're better.

and we could argue about which is the better coin, and should go into the virtual collection.

Why don't we build one that could display the Forum's virtual collection - i.e. populate it with the best example of a particular coin that any one of us can come up with. Each coin could have a virtual ticket saying whose it really is, and then when people show their new acquisitions, they could upgrade the existing if they're better.

and we could argue about which is the better coin, and should go into the virtual collection.

I think that's a great idea! Any volunteers?

That would be a great idea and source of information for people on here like myself.

I'm a PHP web developer by job, but my problem is I'm absolutely terrible at any kind of design. If someone would for example draw a design of how it would/should look. Ie with what should be shown, and so on. I might be able to chuck something out in my commute travels between work and home. Just a possibility.

I know years ago there was a site, web developers usually slag it off due to bag practises they teach, but they do teach you the basics and its free. I believe it was www.htmlgoodies.com also www.w3schools.com is quite good for learning basics.

How would you determine if one is better than the other too?

That would be a great idea and source of information for people on here like myself.

I'm a PHP web developer by job, but my problem is I'm absolutely terrible at any kind of design. If someone would for example draw a design of how it would/should look. Ie with what should be shown, and so on. I might be able to chuck something out in my commute travels between work and home. Just a possibility.

I know years ago there was a site, web developers usually slag it off due to bag practises they teach, but they do teach you the basics and its free. I believe it was www.htmlgoodies.com also www.w3schools.com is quite good for learning basics.

How would you determine if one is better than the other too?

The design of Accumulator's site works for me!

Perhaps we have a vote - or if that's a little too long-winded given the potential number of dates types and varieties involved, people could offer up what they consider to be a high grade example for exhibiting on the site, then someone could say 'I think mine is better', post the pics on here, and seek consensus if necessary as to whether the previously depicted example should be replaced?

I think it would be fun, healthy competition and a great resource.

I'm a PHP web developer by job

Well, there's a stroke of luck!

How about thumbnails on a grid?

I'd be happy to draw the grid...

On second thoughts, division by denomination might suit most people here a little better. Seems to be a lot of denomination collectors here.

Navigation is everything!

On second thoughts, division by denomination might suit most people here a little better. Seems to be a lot of denomination collectors here.

I'm not sure how you lot would go with this or whether I've got a wrong idea. But I wondered, most coin sites I've been on are always arranged under Reign, then under Value, and finally in order of year oldest first. I could do most sites do. But then have it so that only one coin is listed for that year of that value. Ie Ed VII, Penny, 1903. And this coin shown would be the highest voted as being the best grade?

Could then have a link or even click the image, and have it open a new page. Which has all uploaded coins, along with who uploaded it, how many votes and what its grade is believed to be? Something like that?

I'm not sure how you lot would go with this or whether I've got a wrong idea. But I wondered, most coin sites I've been on are always arranged under Reign, then under Value, and finally in order of year oldest first. I could do most sites do. But then have it so that only one coin is listed for that year of that value. Ie Ed VII, Penny, 1903. And this coin shown would be the highest voted as being the best grade?

Could then have a link or even click the image, and have it open a new page. Which has all uploaded coins, along with who uploaded it, how many votes and what its grade is believed to be? Something like that?

Sounds perfect! :)

This sounds a fantastic idea, and though I'm too feeble these days to offer practical help, I'm all in favour.

Personally I like the denomination idea (i.e. much like CCGB and Colin Cooke and Freeman and ESC), then probably going back in time, like CC does.

One slight problem - I'm too disabled now to operate a setup to take photos of coins, and my scanner - like all scanners - is great for detail but lousy for tone, lustre, etc. For example, my scan of a virtually "As struck" Queen Anne shilling looks dreadfully ordinary, nothing like what it does in hand. That would put all my best coins at a disadvantage I'm afraid, as the scans would look pretty nondescript. It would also put anyone else in a similar position, or those who simply cannot take decent photos of coins, at the same disadvantage.

Taking accumulator's idea on his site, why not have the front page showing a range of coin cabinets, one for each denomination? When you click on a cabinet, you then get the drawers one for each reign and these can then open as accumulator's does. If the front page doesn't have the ability to handle hammered as well, then maybe the front page should allow the user to choose hammered or milled to start with, then on to the the pages of coin chests.

Taking accumulator's idea on his site, why not have the front page showing a range of coin cabinets, one for each denomination? When you click on a cabinet, you then get the drawers one for each reign and these can then open as accumulator's does. If the front page doesn't have the ability to handle hammered as well, then maybe the front page should allow the user to choose hammered or milled to start with, then on to the the pages of coin chests.

That's good Dave, I like that! We could model each denomination cabinet on the top of the range Peter Nicholls, if that's not playing fast and loose with his IP...

Each cabinet could have a curator - Colin or Peter for Farthings, Rob for Halfpennies, Accumulator for Pennies (just as a for-instance, chaps, you understand!)

This sounds a fantastic idea, and though I'm too feeble these days to offer practical help, I'm all in favour.

Personally I like the denomination idea (i.e. much like CCGB and Colin Cooke and Freeman and ESC), then probably going back in time, like CC does.

One slight problem - I'm too disabled now to operate a setup to take photos of coins, and my scanner - like all scanners - is great for detail but lousy for tone, lustre, etc. For example, my scan of a virtually "As struck" Queen Anne shilling looks dreadfully ordinary, nothing like what it does in hand. That would put all my best coins at a disadvantage I'm afraid, as the scans would look pretty nondescript. It would also put anyone else in a similar position, or those who simply cannot take decent photos of coins, at the same disadvantage.

That's a good point, Peck - initially we will have to put up with the variations in photographic standards as all the photos will be coming from different sources, so we'd never get the beautiful standardised look of Accumulators. There is a certain amount a curator could do though, even with a scan - standard circular cropping, standard background, standard image size.

Whack 'em all on a Photobucket account so we don't have to worry about finding gigabytes of hosting space for photos.

Bandwidth and storage space wouldn't be a big issue. I currently have a hosting account, as well as a VPS on a dedicated server with 2 work mates (They dont have access to any of my files on there though)

That's a good point, Peck - initially we will have to put up with the variations in photographic standards as all the photos will be coming from different sources, so we'd never get the beautiful standardised look of Accumulators. There is a certain amount a curator could do though, even with a scan - standard circular cropping, standard background, standard image size.

Whack 'em all on a Photobucket account so we don't have to worry about finding gigabytes of hosting space for photos.

Hi guys, thank you again for the kind comments on my site. I'm all for doing something like this, but have to say at the outset I don't have time to contribute to its production (family & business take most of my time). I'd naturally be happy to take responsibility for a denomination though, when things are up and running.

I'm also happy that whoever produces it, can pinch any of my ideas or code. My photos look similar because I've standardised on a 500x500 format with a black (foam) background for the coin. Clicking on the photo brings up the larger hi-res version (which could be standardised at 1500 x 1500, or whatever was decided). By sticking to a standard size throughout you're simulating the 2 x 2 cutouts in a coin tray and it all looks neat in a browser. I agree with Dave, a front page cabinet view for each denomination, then a second page breakdown by, say, reign.

The hosting/bandwidth shouldn't be a problem, even with thousands of images.

Edited by Accumulator