British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

scott

1700 Halfpenny BRTTANNIA error

done some research, not one find of such an error.

the interesting thing I did find, was in my searches I found 2 BRIIANNIA error, also the obverse V's on closer inspection looks like they all were inverted A but someone spotted the mistake and replaced with V's possibly, cant be 100% but looks like there are remains of bars in all of them, very faint in the first.

unbarred A's in Britannia is also noted for the year, having a closer look at the date looks to be the large numerals (which were used in 1701 incedently) recut over smaller? which possibly means an issue late in the year, before moving on to the 1701's especially with the dye wear noticable on ovbverse

1017124.jpg

the main error is clear.

done some research, not one find of such an error.

the interesting thing I did find, was in my searches I found 2 BRIIANNIA error, also the obverse V's on closer inspection looks like they all were inverted A but someone spotted the mistake and replaced with V's possibly, cant be 100% but looks like there are remains of bars in all of them, very faint in the first.

unbarred A's in Britannia is also noted for the year, having a closer look at the date looks to be the large numerals (which were used in 1701 incedently) recut over smaller? which possibly means an issue late in the year, before moving on to the 1701's especially with the dye wear noticable on ovbverse

1017124.jpg

the main error is clear.

Good spot - that definitely looks like BRTTANNIA

An example was mentioned on this forum on 1/9/2007 according to my notes, but I can't find the image at present to say if it is the same coin or not.

As for the large numerals, I also have examples with large digits for 1700, including one paired with I/E in GVLIELMVS. The 1701 P705 has at least 4 dies with one of them having a large 0 over a 7 and the 1 looks to have a trace of a 0 underneath implying the date was cut too far to the right.

Edited by Rob

I may have posted this one a few years ago. (Not as nice as the one posted here but the same error).

Eng_1700_BRTTANNIA_o_zps015b0c71.jpg

Eng_1700_BRTTANNIA_r_zpsd4b34b1c.jpg

Bill