British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Paulus

1861 Farthing on eBay

What do peeps think of this one? Has anyone used this seller?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1861-UK-GREAT-BRITAIN-VICTORIA-FARTHING-UNC-LOW-START-NO-RESERVE-/121060486133?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item1c2fc46bf5

Quite tempted by it, but someone might come on and say it's been 'spangled' or some other term I have never heard of, being new to acquiring some pretty bits of copper and bronze :blink:

Edited by Paulus

Never used the seller.

Good feedback though.

The coin looks a nice strike on the obverse with a few bag marks.The reverse looks a weaker strike on the shield especially.

I can't see whether it is 4 or 5 berries but values are similar.Maybe worth a punt to about £40/50 ish.GEF+ money.

Never used the seller.

Good feedback though.

The coin looks a nice strike on the obverse with a few bag marks.The reverse looks a weaker strike on the shield especially.

I can't see whether it is 4 or 5 berries but values are similar.Maybe worth a punt to about £40/50 ish.GEF+ money.

Thanks Peter! :)

Its definitely been spangled at some time.....you can tell by looking at the bi angle tri angle border on the cusper ridges.....

It still retains traces of lustre in the legends,especially the obverse.I would suggest not "spangled" and just toned to a mainly brown finish with traces of lustre.I have no problems with it.

It still retains traces of lustre in the legends,especially the obverse.I would suggest not "spangled" and just toned to a mainly brown finish with traces of lustre.I have no problems with it.

Thanks again, I might have a dabble later! Everyone else, keep off!!

You are being worryingly normal tonight Peter! If you had a sneaky lottery win that Mrs P didn't need to know about, and you negotiated £4k-ish for the 2005 HC with CC, would you go for it? I know you want one!! :D

Lovely farthing, looks to be a die crack at the R in BRITT to victorias head as well.

Lovely farthing, looks to be a die crack at the R in BRITT to victorias head as well.

Not quite enough legend variety to attract you to it though Scott, I hope! I wonder if there really is a 'FARTING' out there somewhere??

Not quite enough legend variety to attract you to it though Scott, I hope! I wonder if there really is a 'FARTING' out there somewhere??

There certainly is, but you have to read it phonetically....there is a Lauer model farthing which has the legend FARHTING :D

And by the way that is a 5 berry portrait, and an attractive looking coin, that will have a nice red tone to it, and as Peter says underlying lustre...did you get it?

Oops not gone yet!! :D

Edited by Colin G.

There certainly is, but you have to read it phonetically....there is a Lauer model farthing which has the legend FARHTING :D

And by the way that is a 5 berry portrait, and an attractive looking coin, that will have a nice red tone to it, and as Peter says underlying lustre...did you get it?

Oops not gone yet!! :D

A few hours yet! Reminds me of the Kraftwerk song, 'FAHRT FAHRT FAHRT, AUF DER AUTOBAHN' :D

ay, i find most of these my accident, i'm just thorough :P

i alreayd have a decent 1861 farthing, and i'm still pondering that shilling :P

ay, i find most of these my accident, i'm just thorough :P

i alreayd have a decent 1861 farthing, and i'm still pondering that shilling :P

Go for it, if Rob says it's worth it and he would buy it, it is!!

You are being worryingly normal tonight Peter! If you had a sneaky lottery win that Mrs P didn't need to know about, and you negotiated £4k-ish for the 2005 HC with CC, would you go for it? I know you want one!! :D

I am on line in Barbados.Don't tell Mrs Peter.

I'm at a stage when I would prefer a true UNC ED7 rather than overpriced key dates.A type collector away from 1/4d's

What do peeps think of this one? Has anyone used this seller?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1861-UK-GREAT-BRITAIN-VICTORIA-FARTHING-UNC-LOW-START-NO-RESERVE-/121060486133?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item1c2fc46bf5

Quite tempted by it, but someone might come on and say it's been 'spangled' or some other term I have never heard of, being new to acquiring some pretty bits of copper and bronze :blink:

I think it's perfectly good, a very nice example. Up to over £40 so good luck with staying up to win it :D

Its definitely been spangled at some time.....you can tell by looking at the bi angle tri angle border on the cusper ridges.....

:lol:

I'm at a stage when I would prefer a true UNC ED7 rather than overpriced key dates.A type collector away from 1/4d's

Good man, I won't tell her, she is in the kitchen at the mo fixing me a snack, so we should be ok ;) One reason I prefer top grade types to a parade of dates is when you show people your collection, no non-numismatist is going to be wowed by a mid grade rare date or variety!

Edited by Paulus

Good man, I won't tell her, she is in the kitchen at the mo fixing me a snack, so we should be ok ;) One reason I prefer top grade types to a parade of dates is when you show people your collection, no non-numismatist is going to be wowed by a mid grade rare date or variety!

What you mean you show them to other people :o:D

It has still a bit of mileage in it EF is £40 Unc £95 BU £130 according to CCGB 2012/13.

It will look great in hand....being a tight fisted sod if I wanted it maybe £60+.There are better but not often encounted.

It has still a bit of mileage in it EF is £40 Unc £95 BU £130 according to CCGB 2012/13.

It will look great in hand....being a tight fisted sod if I wanted it maybe £60+.There are better but not often encounted.

I expect you have a choice example already Peter, good news being you wont be bidding! I'll probably bid up to around £65 as it has great eye appeal for me, doubt that that will win it though!

What you mean you show them to other people :o:D

Rarely and only after a CRB check!

I expect you have a choice example already Peter, good news being you wont be bidding! I'll probably bid up to around £65 as it has great eye appeal for me, doubt that that will win it though!

You might be suprised.However I'm aware of the US contingent buying a common coin from ColinCooke for a few £ and slabbing them.

I buy raw whenever I can to pop straight into the cabinet/tray with MY description/grade.

CC has a 1861 5 berries EF for £14 but no pickie. :(

You might be suprised.However I'm aware of the US contingent buying a common coin from ColinCooke for a few £ and slabbing them.

I buy raw whenever I can to pop straight into the cabinet/tray with MY description/grade.

I can see increasingly that a slabbed coin will sell for more than un-slabbed, especially in the US, and ceteris paribus, of course ... what I don't get at all is how so many low value/low grade coins are being slabbed ... CGS charge £11.99 per coin minimum plus 2-way postage, anyone shed any light on the economic viability of getting a coin slabbed that is worth less than, say, £30??

Edit

Red,red wine..goes to my head. ;)

Edited by Peter

I have had new item trays tried to be pulled out of my grasp by other dealers.However I'm 6ft and nearly 15 st so it won't happen.

I've got my favourite dealers where there is a good communication.I see these first. :) A lot of the older dealers don't know how to work the internet.I never rip off but get everyone happy with a deal.You can only skin a sheep once but take wool every year...Take cash.

Great facilities.