British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
DaveG38

Coin Monthly Magazine

Can anybody help enlighten me about the Coin Monthly magazine series? My set of these starts with volume 1 part 1 in November 1966 and runs until Feb 1992. I've now obtained a very thin booklet called 'Coin Monthly' dated May 1966. It's clear from reading the booklet, that this isn't the first issue and, since there is a list of future articles, it was obviously intended that there would be future issues. The publisher appears to be the Numismatic Publishing Company i.e. the same company as issued the Coin Monthly series for the best part of 25 years until 1992.

Does anybody know what the history is of these pre-Coin Monthly publicatiosn is? How many were there and when did they start and finish?

Here's a picture of the front cover.

post-692-018681800 1360174683_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately I've absolutely no idea, Dave. All I do know is that I would love to see some of them, They'd be a great read.

Is there any way of getting back copies, or e images ?

Can anybody help enlighten me about the Coin Monthly magazine series? My set of these starts with volume 1 part 1 in November 1966 and runs until Feb 1992. I've now obtained a very thin booklet called 'Coin Monthly' dated May 1966. It's clear from reading the booklet, that this isn't the first issue and, since there is a list of future articles, it was obviously intended that there would be future issues. The publisher appears to be the Numismatic Publishing Company i.e. the same company as issued the Coin Monthly series for the best part of 25 years until 1992.

Does anybody know what the history is of these pre-Coin Monthly publicatiosn is? How many were there and when did they start and finish?

I'd be very interested in a scanned upload (PDF?) of that Dave.

I'd also be interested in something similar for the first issue of the regular magazine (but I realise that would be a major task so I'll keep looking for a copy of it).

I can't help you with dates as I had a clear out of old catalogues and magazines many years ago (I now wish I'd kept a few!).

By coincidence I bought this 1981 Coin Monthly on eBay today for the princely sum of £1.99 + postage. If the penny article is of interest I'll scan it.

I can't help you with dates as I had a clear out of old catalogues and magazines many years ago (I now wish I'd kept a few!).

By coincidence I bought this 1981 Coin Monthly on eBay today for the princely sum of £1.99 + postage. If the penny article is of interest I'll scan it.

You should have said, as I have duplicates of a great many of the dates. Still at £1.99 you weren't done.

I'd be very interested in a scanned upload (PDF?) of that Dave.

I'd also be interested in something similar for the first issue of the regular magazine (but I realise that would be a major task so I'll keep looking for a copy of it).

Peckris,

I'll see what I can do. However, I'm feeling crap at the moment with some virus that I can't seem to shake off. But, once I'm fit, I'll see about scanning them both - although the May one I bought the other day is distinctly underwhelming at just 18 pages long! And the content is very superficial - its almost as though it was a test run for the real thing to come some 5 or 6 months later.

You should have said, as I have duplicates of a great many of the dates. Still at £1.99 you weren't done.

Thanks for the offer Dave. To be honest, at £1.99, it was just a spur of the moment purchase.

Sorry I can only do coin monthly back to 1971 Before that it was Coin and Medal Digest

Unfortunately I've absolutely no idea, Dave. All I do know is that I would love to see some of them, They'd be a great read.

Just to extend thanks to Rob for a very kind offer, which I've accepted, of some old Coin Monthly mags at a very reasonable price.

Thanks Rob B)

Peckris,

I'll see what I can do. However, I'm feeling crap at the moment with some virus that I can't seem to shake off. But, once I'm fit, I'll see about scanning them both - although the May one I bought the other day is distinctly underwhelming at just 18 pages long! And the content is very superficial - its almost as though it was a test run for the real thing to come some 5 or 6 months later.

Don't rush - whenever you have the time and energy. I've just had that bl00dy virus, it's not nice. :(

Sorry I can only do coin monthly back to 1971 Before that it was Coin and Medal Digest

Ah, no. It was Coin Monthly from 1966 (which is when it started)- The Numismatic Publishing Company of Essex. The Coin and Medal thing was the Link House magazine I think? Which eventually turned into the annual Coins & Market Values, still produced by Link House.

Just to extend thanks to Rob for a very kind offer, which I've accepted, of some old Coin Monthly mags at a very reasonable price.

Thanks Rob B)

They arrived today and I've been reading one or two from 1969 (only two months so far). First impression are of a pre-occupation with 1951 pennies back then. They were almost the holy grail. One dealer wanted more for a BU specimen, than for an uncirculated 1881.

I'm intrigued by some of the prices being charged back then, and might well do some comparative experiments with inflation and today's prices.

They really are an intersting read. Once again thanks to Rob.

I have a massive stack of them.

The prices are amazing for rarities and crap.

Always a good read.

Pre internet I would buy from the adverts. :)

Thanks Rob B)

They arrived today and I've been reading one or two from 1969 (only two months so far). First impression are of a pre-occupation with 1951 pennies back then. They were almost the holy grail. One dealer wanted more for a BU specimen, than for an uncirculated 1881.

I'm intrigued by some of the prices being charged back then, and might well do some comparative experiments with inflation and today's prices.

They really are an intersting read. Once again thanks to Rob.

Snap - I filled in some gaps from Rob's "stash", and you're right, they make very interesting reading. In one 1969 advert, there's a grid of UNC coins in all denominations from 1937 to 1967 - they are asking £35 for a 1959 halfcrown. Turn the page, and Lincoln Coins are asking £22 for an EF 1689 halfcrown, and £33 for a "Vir. BU" 1836 halfcrown. What absolute madness those times were.

Snap - I filled in some gaps from Rob's "stash", and you're right, they make very interesting reading. In one 1969 advert, there's a grid of UNC coins in all denominations from 1937 to 1967 - they are asking £35 for a 1959 halfcrown. Turn the page, and Lincoln Coins are asking £22 for an EF 1689 halfcrown, and £33 for a "Vir. BU" 1836 halfcrown. What absolute madness those times were.

Yeah. Never mind buying coins to slab and sell in the US ... we should be building a time machine, going back and buying up everything at 1960's prices! :lol:

Yeah. Never mind buying coins to slab and sell in the US ... we should be building a time machine, going back and buying up everything at 1960's prices! :lol:

But nothing post-1936 :D

Maybe we should think about selling some items at 1969 prices !!! I can't believe some of the prices back then. For instance, in November 1969, "Earl of Tooting" were asking £60-0-0 for an UNC 1925 shilling, and £25-0-0 a piece for uncirculated 1930 & 1934 shillings. Manor Antiques wanted £8-0-0 for a BU 1958 threepence, "City Coins" were asking £24-0-0 for a GVF 1949 threepence. "Joan E Allen & Company" were asking £48-0-0 for a BU1932 penny.

Given that the average weekly wage back then was £26-0-0 it's no wonder the average punter would have been priced out of many good purchases.

Maybe we should think about selling some items at 1969 prices !!! I can't believe some of the prices back then. For instance, in November 1969, "Earl of Tooting" were asking £60-0-0 for an UNC 1925 shilling, and £25-0-0 a piece for uncirculated 1930 & 1934 shillings. Manor Antiques wanted £8-0-0 for a BU 1958 threepence, "City Coins" were asking £24-0-0 for a GVF 1949 threepence. "Joan E Allen & Company" were asking £48-0-0 for a BU1932 penny.

Given that the average weekly wage back then was £26-0-0 it's no wonder the average punter would have been priced out of many good purchases.

I know - the ultimate silliness in my book was from a 1970 price guide, where a BU 1932 penny was valued at £50, while a BU 1797 twopence was valued at a mere £35! Two weeks' wages for the 1932!!

I know - the ultimate silliness in my book was from a 1970 price guide, where a BU 1932 penny was valued at £50, while a BU 1797 twopence was valued at a mere £35! Two weeks' wages for the 1932!!

Which is why, as a very junior employee in that era, I stopped collecting coins once predecimal stuff couldn't be got from circulation, just too expensive for me then - and that was before mortgage and kids

Which is why, as a very junior employee in that era, I stopped collecting coins once predecimal stuff couldn't be got from circulation, just too expensive for me then - and that was before mortgage and kids

I was fresh out of school - even more poverty-stricken than a guy with a mortgage and kids :D

I was fresh out of school - even more poverty-stricken than a guy with a mortgage and kids :D

I was using my pocket money to pull coins from circulation. 6d a week didn't go far, though I sometimes got a shilling or even a florin from my grandparents. Then i put some of my coins back into circulation to buy stamps... that was my big mistake!

£50 then adjusted for inflation, would be £683.50 now ~ for a BU 1932 penny !!!

Some people must actually have paid those amounts, and sustained a significant loss on their investment subsequently. Even if collected as a hobby for keeps, there'd still be the gnawing feeling that if they'd waited, they'd have got the item/s massively cheaper.

inflation calculator

edit: at 2010 prices

Edited by 1949threepence

£50 then adjusted for inflation, would be £683.50 now ~ for a BU 1932 penny !!!

Some people must actually have paid those amounts, and sustained a significant loss on their investment subsequently. Even if collected as a hobby for keeps, there'd still be the gnawing feeling that if they'd waited, they'd have got the item/s massively cheaper.

inflation calculator

edit: at 2010 prices

I suppose the fever was so strong that no-one predicted that the end of predecimal coinage would actually have the opposite effect on prices. But it's also true to say that pre-1887 stuff was at least as undervalued as some modern stuff was overvalued. But it didn't all come out in the wash until the mid-70s.

I think dealers must have suffered the worst in the lead-up to 1971. Yet those who concentrated on the 'average punter' like R&L, the Beaumonts, Peter Ireland, etc, seemed to survive for a good few years unlike the serial overpricers such as Mayfair and Joan E Allen etc.

I suppose the fever was so strong that no-one predicted that the end of predecimal coinage would actually have the opposite effect on prices. But it's also true to say that pre-1887 stuff was at least as undervalued as some modern stuff was overvalued. But it didn't all come out in the wash until the mid-70s.

I think dealers must have suffered the worst in the lead-up to 1971. Yet those who concentrated on the 'average punter' like R&L, the Beaumonts, Peter Ireland, etc, seemed to survive for a good few years unlike the serial overpricers such as Mayfair and Joan E Allen etc.

Yes, absolutely.

It was the tendency towards overpricing the modern coins which, in retrospect, seems a bit odd. But, like so many things of any given era, it was probably totally the right thing at the time, or seemed so.

What is obvious is that huge quantities of circulated coins were being taken out of circulation and offered by dealers at enhanced prices. Another noticeable trend was the one of offering for sale, tubes or mint bags of uncirculated modern coins. I wonder if psychologically, the effect of seeing uncirculated items which were theroretically still available from circulating coins, but in practice almost impossible to find, lent them the cache they needed, pre decimalisation, to cause an unrealistic explosion in prices. Just a thought.

I did notice a BU 1918KN which was being offered at £150 (just over £2000 today), and indeed, £2000 might well be what it would change hands for now. Possibly more.

Yes, absolutely.

It was the tendency towards overpricing the modern coins which, in retrospect, seems a bit odd. But, like so many things of any given era, it was probably totally the right thing at the time, or seemed so.

What is obvious is that huge quantities of circulated coins were being taken out of circulation and offered by dealers at enhanced prices. Another noticeable trend was the one of offering for sale, tubes or mint bags of uncirculated modern coins. I wonder if psychologically, the effect of seeing uncirculated items which were theroretically still available from circulating coins, but in practice almost impossible to find, lent them the cache they needed, pre decimalisation, to cause an unrealistic explosion in prices. Just a thought.

I did notice a BU 1918KN which was being offered at £150 (just over £2000 today), and indeed, £2000 might well be what it would change hands for now. Possibly more.

Those issues of Coin Monthly are just packed with ads from dealers offering quantities (sometimes quite large!) of 1960s coins in BU for a premium over face - the premium increasing year on year as you went back. Noticeably it dried up once you got back to the 1950s, with a few exceptions like 1959 sixpences, 1957/1959E shillings, 1958/1959 halfpennies, stuff like that. There must be two of those ads for every one offering 'proper' coins. It is certainly the people who 'invested' in such things, or in buying up low grade 'key dates', who got burned the worst.