British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sorry CC, not only is the 1905 OBV not EF, scanning through other higher valued coins on your web site is a bit disheartening. I'd go as far to say that all the coins on your web site are given one whole level higher in quality than actual. Look at the 1692 Crown. It's no better than Fine? but shows VF/GVF. Oh yeah and that light unobtrusive bruise on the 1686 Crown. Right. ..

I think he's run into the problem that small/medium size dealers now have: no stock. Not an excuse, but rather a guess.

I think he's run into the problem that small/medium size dealers now have: no stock. Not an excuse, but rather a guess.

I'm afraid it's been a long-standing issue. But the returns policy has always been 'no quibble' so I think it's fair enough, except where newbies are bamboozled into thinking they've got something better than it really is. On the other hand a newbie isn't going to shell out for a high grade 1905 halfcrown..

I'm not sure that running out of stock is the issue, I believe they have just spent around £60k on a collection....although I guess these days that doesnt buy you much.

Personally I always got on well with CC, he was good to have a chat with and I used to buy well off him , but not been a huge fan of "CC" since he died.

Although I'm not proud, I'll buy off anybody if they have something that I want at the price that I'm prepared to pay (and no, I dont give a monkeys about how much profit they may or not be making, as long as I'm happy with the price)...my long term fave dealers are Ras and Stephen Mitchell of Studio Coins.

Does anyone remember old Tony Matthews of Foley Island Coins?..

Yes, I still like CC, though the firm has changed a bit & have gotten some very nice bits through NP. Ras, as you like to call him, has the most interesting lists that are like treasure hunts - a lot of stuff very high but some great bits hidden in there. Have even bought some fairly cheap stuff that was really good and a couple of farm-ransoming bits as well.

Funny, don't seem to recall ever dealing with Mitchell but will keep my eyes and ears open.

Back to the original coin, I like to see how these perform in auction but best to be there live or over the 'net to follow interests and the pacing of it. So just how an '05 do in a competitive auction? Unc, EF coins...

I'm not sure that running out of stock is the issue, I believe they have just spent around £60k on a collection....although I guess these days that doesnt buy you much.

Personally I always got on well with CC, he was good to have a chat with and I used to buy well off him , but not been a huge fan of "CC" since he died.

Although I'm not proud, I'll buy off anybody if they have something that I want at the price that I'm prepared to pay (and no, I dont give a monkeys about how much profit they may or not be making, as long as I'm happy with the price)...my long term fave dealers are Ras and Stephen Mitchell of Studio Coins.

Does anyone remember old Tony Matthews of Foley Island Coins?..

Mark is a very straight guy and I've picked up some of my favourite coins from him.

You guys have already seen the London Coins Auction Lot 1985 (I think!) which is an "EF" 1905 2/6. Wow, just too much edge business going on and some less than strategic hits on obverse, etc.

Yes, I still like CC, though the firm has changed a bit & have gotten some very nice bits through NP. Ras, as you like to call him, has the most interesting lists that are like treasure hunts - a lot of stuff very high but some great bits hidden in there. Have even bought some fairly cheap stuff that was really good and a couple of farm-ransoming bits as well.

Funny, don't seem to recall ever dealing with Mitchell but will keep my eyes and ears open.

Back to the original coin, I like to see how these perform in auction but best to be there live or over the 'net to follow interests and the pacing of it. So just how an '05 do in a competitive auction? Unc, EF coins...

Not your type. He deals in hammered, with only a very occasional milled piece.

You guys have already seen the London Coins Auction Lot 1985 (I think!) which is an "EF" 1905 2/6. Wow, just too much edge business going on and some less than strategic hits on obverse, etc.

Perhaps somebody tried to get it out of a slab with a hammer...

Haha. OK, I'm not guilty of that one! I retired the aggressive techniques except for the "two plier twist mode", rumoured to have been used on a FIVE FIGURE coin by somebody...

If I needed the date, I just don't think I could come up with a bid for that one. Good Luck to the seller!

Londons have a nice 1905 in their forthcoming sale lot 1985 grades as EF £2400-£2800 estimate. Hopefully Peter did'nt Open his wallet on the CC coin

Londons have a nice 1905 in their forthcoming sale lot 1985 grades as EF £2400-£2800 estimate. Hopefully Peter did'nt Open his wallet on the CC coin

Dave

My wallet has stronger elastic than trying to pull a Scots girl lifting up her Knickers from around her ankles.(One in Kenmore...nice holiday.)Although her older sister gave my mate a dose....that was 30 years ago :o

I must admit to buying a few bits of rubbish today. :)