British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Colin88

London Coin Fair - Yesterday

Went to the Holiday Inn Coin Fair yesterday in Russell Square....I was only allowed to do so if I took my wife girlie shopping in Town afterwards....there's always a price to pay...

Good to see that Baldwins are still making up the prices of their coins with no regard to catalogue values or anything resembling a fair market price.

Some bloke on one of the stands immediately as you entered, was in the middle of eating what smelt like a disgusting Chinese takeaway which made you want to not go anywhere near.

I was quite surprised at the huge amount of foreign buyers during the time that I was there...probably the majority of the people there were foreign....still no-one uder 30 either ...how do we get young people interested in coins and away from computer games??

Noticed that Arthur Bryant (ex Spink) has gone off on his own and seemed to be doing a brisk trade...always a nice guy, easy to deal with.

I bought a couple of coins that I was pleased with but had to get back to the bored wife (mine) waiting in Reception and got dragged off to the shops...would have been cheaper to buy that 5 guinea piece that I wanted...mind you we finished up drunk in the Ivy which is always a larf...........

Went to the Holiday Inn Coin Fair yesterday in Russell Square....I was only allowed to do so if I took my wife girlie shopping in Town afterwards....there's always a price to pay...

Good to see that Baldwins are still making up the prices of their coins with no regard to catalogue values or anything resembling a fair market price.

Some bloke on one of the stands immediately as you entered, was in the middle of eating what smelt like a disgusting Chinese takeaway which made you want to not go anywhere near.

I was quite surprised at the huge amount of foreign buyers during the time that I was there...probably the majority of the people there were foreign....still no-one uder 30 either ...how do we get young people interested in coins and away from computer games??

Noticed that Arthur Bryant (ex Spink) has gone off on his own and seemed to be doing a brisk trade...always a nice guy, easy to deal with.

I bought a couple of coins that I was pleased with but had to get back to the bored wife (mine) waiting in Reception and got dragged off to the shops...would have been cheaper to buy that 5 guinea piece that I wanted...mind you we finished up drunk in the Ivy which is always a larf...........

I was thinking of going along but couldn't make it in the end. I went to Coinex towards the end of last year and assumed yesterday's Fair would be a slightly more mid-market version. Again, that was full of foreign buyers, particularly of gold it seemed.

It sounds like Baldwins were showing coins from their recent 'Winter Fixed Price List'. 'Fixed' in what sense I wonder?

The entry has gone up an extra £ to £5 plus an extra date to 4 a year, not to sure where it's going this fair? With the extra cost of travel for the day I've decided to go for the lazy option in future and stick to internet hunting!

I'm not too sure what a foreign buying is anymore!! All I know is there was a lot of pushing out the way at most tables, maybe these are the people you mean!! and probably the main market aim for the likes of Baldwin, poor old collector, might as well stay at home looking at this screen! :huh:

Well, no chance for me to go either, but as much as I like Baldwin's and their material I too agree that prices have blown up. Did you see on their list the price for the set of five pattern E2 florins? Ouch!!

I have seen your statement. I myself am 14 years of age and have more time for my coin collection than my playstation. Just thought I'd reply to let you know there are some, bu not many young collectors out there.

I have seen your statement. I myself am 14 years of age and have more time for my coin collection than my playstation. Just thought I'd reply to let you know there are some, bu not many young collectors out there.

Welcome, anyway! And I hope you will stick around and share your acquisitions and collecting aspirations with us.

uote name='kai1998inc' timestamp='1359926191' post='80383']

I bought a couple of coins that I was pleased with but had to get back to the bored wife (mine) waiting in Reception and got dragged off to the shops...would have been cheaper to buy that 5 guinea piece that I wanted...mind you

That's so good to hear......if there's anything I can do to help with your collecting then do let me know......