British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Accumulator

Rare Edward VII penny varieties

Here's mine.

link

Well that didn't work how I expected. You will have to scroll down to my post where I attacked the picture.

I wouldn't attack that picture Gary - it's very good, and so is the coin :D

Here is my F-169 - I've been told about the 3rd or 4th finest known...

1903 open 3 in the next post

That's a nice F169 Gary! It's certainly better than the London Coins auction example, and the best I've seen.

Nice open 3s too, but Gary1000 has pipped you! Especially that obverse, which must be GVF to NEF.

Edited by Accumulator

Here is my F-169 - I've been told about the 3rd or 4th finest known...

1903 open 3 in the next post

That's a nice F169 Gary! It's certainly better than the London Coins auction example, and the best I've seen.

Nice open 3s too, but Gary1000 has pipped you! Especially that obverse, which must be GVF to NEF.

Thanks, I think I was the 1st or 2nd underbidder on the example sold on ebay....

Oddly the 1897 F148 is still undervalued by comparison

this one is one of the very few I've seen on Ebay

far rarer than the books suggest

I agree with you David. Baldwins have a full lustre example in their Winter Fixed Price list for a hefty £1,750. Mine has a the remnants of lustre:

Penny1897%20F148%201%20+%20C%20OBV%20500x500.jpgPenny1897%20F148%201%20+%20C%20REV%20500x500.jpg

I agree with you David. Baldwins have a full lustre example in their Winter Fixed Price list for a hefty £1,750. Mine has a the remnants of lustre:

Penny1897%20F148%201%20+%20C%20OBV%20500x500.jpgPenny1897%20F148%201%20+%20C%20REV%20500x500.jpg

Beautiful - that's the best I've seen. I dare not ask how much you paid!

I paid £420 about 3 years ago. I know that a significantly better one would be over £1k now. I just checked Baldwin's website and note that their 1897 High Tide is no longer listed, which suggests it sold for around the £1,750 asking!

the high tides dont come up that often, they do often sneak under the radar as well

987154.jpg

bought ages ago for a single bid off ebay

I paid £420 about 3 years ago. I know that a significantly better one would be over £1k now. I just checked Baldwin's website and note that their 1897 High Tide is no longer listed, which suggests it sold for around the £1,750 asking!

That would have to have lots of lustre IMO. Anyway, I really like the toning on yours.

That would have to have lots of lustre IMO. Anyway, I really like the toning on yours.

Thank you. The Baldwins example was genuinely full lustre, so you wouldn't find a better one. I guess that justified the price.

Edited by Accumulator

I'm going to have to review my collection....

Just looked at my F-148 (I think I have another one or two in other albums - not as nice as this one though) and forgot how nice it was...

This is a scan and really does not do it justice....

1897F-148HTReverse1200dpi-reduced.jpg

1897F-148HTObverse1200dpi-reduced.jpg

While we are discussing 1897 pennies, I have three different specimens with the DOT between the O and N of ONE....

HEAVY THICK DOT

1897DOTF-147HEAVYTHICKDOT-reduced.jpg

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector

All of which encapsulates the absurdity of paying such high sums for what is basically a particular die which would otherwise be indistinguishable from the rest, in a defined state of wear. You can make a case for die identification, but I'm struggling making one for a certain period in the die's life.

Each to their own .When we all get exited over small discs of metal I do wonder.Oh my wife is about to slap me around the chops with a 20lb cod.

You know the height of this type of absurdity is the assembler of certain large sovereign collection who did just that: collected by die number AND die state! Yikes!!

LIGHTER THINNER DOT

1897F-147DOTLIGHTERTHINNERDOT-reduced.jpg

LIGHTER THINNER DOT with DIE CRACK

1897F-147DOT-DIECRACK-reduced.jpg

Considering that the 'dot' is supposed to have been a deliberate mark rather than a die flaw, the "lighter thinner" variant must be a gradual infilling of the die, i.e. in an older state. I'm afraid I can't see the third dot at all (with the die crack) - how do you know it is there?

I'm going to have to review my collection....

Just looked at my F-148 (I think I have another one or two in other albums - not as nice as this one though) and forgot how nice it was...

This is a scan and really does not do it justice....

That's a lovely specimen Gary!

LIGHTER THINNER DOT

Considering that the 'dot' is supposed to have been a deliberate mark rather than a die flaw, the "lighter thinner" variant must be a gradual infilling of the die, i.e. in an older state. I'm afraid I can't see the third dot at all (with the die crack) - how do you know it is there?

I'd not heard it described as a deliberate mark? Freeman says it "occurs as a result of damage to the the die". If it was deliberate then, to me, it's collectible but, as Rob says, if its an unintended die flaw, it's not.

LIGHTER THINNER DOT

I'd not heard it described as a deliberate mark? Freeman says it "occurs as a result of damage to the the die". If it was deliberate then, to me, it's collectible but, as Rob says, if its an unintended die flaw, it's not.

The other school of thought (sorry, can't quote chapter and verse here) says that the dot is too perfect and round to be accidental. Considering all the activity surrounding the bronze coinage in that year (treating farthings to a dark finish, and all the 'high tide' varieties), it may well be that the Mint decided on a die identification mark. It's only a theory, but you must admit that the dot looks far too even to be a die flaw?

LIGHTER THINNER DOT

The other school of thought (sorry, can't quote chapter and verse here) says that the dot is too perfect and round to be accidental. Considering all the activity surrounding the bronze coinage in that year (treating farthings to a dark finish, and all the 'high tide' varieties), it may well be that the Mint decided on a die identification mark. It's only a theory, but you must admit that the dot looks far too even to be a die flaw?

Surely, if it was intentional, the mark would have been placed in a more subtle location, perhaps around Britannia? The dot does seem regular though, which suggests the use (accidental or otherwise) of a punch. Alternatively, I was trying to imagine whether the it could be part of a die repair, perhaps a recessed pin, but this seems unlikely.

Edited by Accumulator

LIGHTER THINNER DOT

Surely, if it was intentional, the mark would have been placed in a more subtle location, perhaps around Britannia? The dot does seem regular though, which suggests the use (accidental or otherwise) of a punch. Alternatively, I was trying to imagine whether the it could be part of a die repair, perhaps a recessed pin, but this seems unlikely.

That would still be human agency, even if accidental. Somehow we seem to generally prefer marks which have been caused by people, rather than misstrikes.

if it was an intentional mark, why not just do what they did before and after, and slap the mark near the date?

it is a die chip probably.

Bit of an optical illusion for me, is it a raised or sunken dot?

It's a raised dot, so a sunken 'dot' on the die that produced it.