British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Accumulator

Rare Edward VII penny varieties

I've noticed an upward trend in prices for the rarer Edward VII penny varieties, usually in no better than F. Here are a couple of examples:

A 1909 2+E F169 in the forthcoming London Coins auction estimate £750-£1250

A 1908 1* + C F164A on eBay at £1,100

Open 3's in F are £60+, 1902 high tide's are getting pricier in top condition and all the other 1908 die pairings can be hard to find.

On top of this, the mid-reign dates with good strikes are particularly challenging.

Lot's to keep the collector busy, but Peckris will shortly arrive to say that the two 1905 varieties are the most boring ever! :)

I've noticed an upward trend in prices for the rarer Edward VII penny varieties, usually in no better than F. Here are a couple of examples:

Open 3's in F are £60+, 1902 high tide's are getting pricier in top condition and all the other 1908 die pairings can be hard to find.

On top of this, the mid-reign dates with good strikes are particularly challenging.

Lot's to keep the collector busy, but Peckris will shortly arrive to say that the two 1905 varieties are the most boring ever! :)

The 1908 1d that is on ebay, doesn't look like the colon, after BRITT, is pointing to a tooth...it looks to me like it is pointing to gap. The line he has drawn looks crooked also. What do you think?

I'm sure his coin is an F158A. The colon adjacent to BRITT is slightly elongated/damaged but it's definitely not the 'normal' variety. Also the position of the I of IND to a gap is clear. The seller, Dave (OneWebby), knows his pennies well and I doubt would make a mistake.

Here's mine for comparison:

Penny1908%20F164A%201*%20+%20C%20OBV%20500x500.jpg

Edited by Accumulator

Anyway we shouldnt be talking about Eddies pennies till monday ;)

there mine :D (hopefully)

1906 & 1907 are really difficult to get with good strikes. My 1906 has good lustre, and still looks worn :ph34r:

I'm sure his coin is an F158A. The colon adjacent to BRITT is slightly elongated/damaged but it's definitely not the 'normal' variety. Also the position of the I of IND to a gap is clear. The seller, Dave (OneWebby), knows his pennies well and I doubt would make a mistake.

Here's mine for comparison:

Penny1908%20F164A%201*%20+%20C%20OBV%20500x500.jpg

Accumulator, Is the obverse you show from a 1903 open 3 (F158A), or a 1908 (F164A)? Thanks,

That's my 1908 F164A, Bob. Wish I could find a better one. I know one of our fellow members, on your side of the pond, has an EF example, so they do exist.

That's due to a combination of 1) the variety being really trivial and hard to spot, but more importantly 2) neither variety is remotely scarce! :D

1906 & 1907 are really difficult to get with good strikes. My 1906 has good lustre, and still looks worn :ph34r:

I've never been sure whether mine are merely 'average' or 'better than average' - as you say, they are difficult to find really strong strikes (these are 'blow ups' from scans as usual, so the quality of the picture is not good!). There's definitely signs of weakness on the '07 reverse - you can even see where the fields are 'dished - convex' and there is some ghosting, probably because the obverse is much stronger in hand than it looks. I remember sending off for a reasonably priced BU '06 some years ago, but when it arrived, the obverse strike was so weak I returned it and kept hold of this one.

post-4737-018966300 1359896901_thumb.jpg

Edited by Peckris

That's my 1908 F164A, Bob. Wish I could find a better one. I know one of our fellow members, on your side of the pond, has an EF example, so they do exist.

The collector you mention on my side of the pond is probably Gary Schindler ("Bronze & Copper Collector" on the Forum)...he has one of everything it seems.....

I've never been sure whether mine are merely 'average' or 'better than average' - as you say, they are difficult to find really strong strikes (these are 'blow ups' from scans as usual, so the quality of the picture is not good!). There's definitely signs of weakness on the '07 reverse - you can even see where the fields are 'dished - convex' and there is some ghosting, probably because the obverse is much stronger in hand than it looks. I remember sending off for a reasonably priced BU '06 some years ago, but when it arrived, the obverse strike was so weak I returned it and kept hold of this one.

I think both your 1906 & 7 are definitely better than average. The reverses of mine are truly awful, with typically shallow relief and very little detail to Britannia. Every now and then I look for something better, in fact I think there may be one on eBay at the moment, but haven't got around to upgrading yet.

The collector you mention on my side of the pond is probably Gary Schindler ("Bronze & Copper Collector" on the Forum)...he has one of everything it seems.....

Yes indeed! I'm sure he must have some gaps... In fact I think I have a couple of model pennies he used to own but no longer collects. I may be wrong though.

I think both your 1906 & 7 are definitely better than average. The reverses of mine are truly awful, with typically shallow relief and very little detail to Britannia. Every now and then I look for something better, in fact I think there may be one on eBay at the moment, but haven't got around to upgrading yet.

Paws :D

My 1906 can be seen below. Although lustrous,. the reverse looks barely VF !!!

post-4682-052560600 1359931451_thumb.jpgpost-4682-016724200 1359931466_thumb.jpg

I missed out on a BU 1905. Had a great strike as well. Went for £103 my max was £100 which i thought was top end :(

Yes indeed! I'm sure he must have some gaps... In fact I think I have a couple of model pennies he used to own but no longer collects. I may be wrong though.

I believe that you do.... I gave up on the models, and sold them all, including the few RARE ones that I had....

Also, I do have several gaps in my collection, although I did recently acquire the 1870 with dot under the Y, RLC35 has a much nicer specimen though....

Here is my F-164A, I believe it is the coin in question....

1908F-164AObverse.jpg

1908F-164AReverse.jpg

I believe that you do.... I gave up on the models, and sold them all, including the few RARE ones that I had....

Also, I do have several gaps in my collection, although I did recently acquire the 1870 with dot under the Y, RLC35 has a much nicer specimen though....

Hi Gary, I only picked up the dated 1844 and the 'PENNEY' misspelt models, which I believe were yours. I had the chance to buy the all-silver model too, but missed out on that one. Really lovely coins!

Your 1* (F164A) certainly puts mine to shame. I've never seen a better one.

While on the subject of Edward VII, do you have better than F versions of the 1903, open 3, or the 1909 F169 (which Freeman has as R9, but is way rarer)? A fellow forum member has an NVF Open 3 and I'm sure a VF example appeared on eBay some time ago, but otherwise everything else seems to be low grade.

Edited by Accumulator

1908F-164AObverse.jpg

1908F-164AReverse.jpg

Nice 1908 Gary...also great pictures, I wish I had your expertise in photography!

I want all these.

i think we all have something rare here. which is fun

Hi Gary, I only picked up the dated 1844 and the 'PENNEY' misspelt models, which I believe were yours. I had the chance to buy the all-silver model too, but missed out on that one. Really lovely coins!

Your 1* (F164A) certainly puts mine to shame. I've never seen a better one.

While on the subject of Edward VII, do you have better than F versions of the 1903, open 3, or the 1909 F169 (which Freeman has as R9, but is way rarer)? A fellow forum member has an NVF Open 3 and I'm sure a VF example appeared on eBay some time ago, but otherwise everything else seems to be low grade.

Here is my F-169 - I've been told about the 3rd or 4th finest known...

1909 F-169

1909F-169Reverse.jpg

1909F-169Obverse.jpg

1903 open 3 in the next post

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector

I currently have two 1903 open 3's in my possession, both essentially in about the same condition.... Eventually, I'll probably part with one, along with some other duplicates that I have.....

SPECIMEN 1

1903OPEN3reversespecimen1.jpg

1903OPEN3obversespecimen1.jpg

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector

Here's mine.

link

Well that didn't work how I expected. You will have to scroll down to my post where I attacked the picture.