British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Rwhite08

Help identifying coin.

Hi just wondering if you could help me identify a 1889 Victoria coin I have. She is wearing a small crown and on reverse side it has a crown with number 3 underneath surrounded by a wreath?

What you have is a threepence. Worth 3 old pence. Of course its worth more because it is sterling silver.

I'm assuming that this is your coin?

artid1663_combined.jpg

With both you're not looking at too terribly high of value. If uncirculated and a great strike you might be able to get about $40 for the pair if you're lucky. Assuming that both have been circulated, they generally just sell for little more than sterling scrap. (However, I don't have my copy of Spinks on me, but a quick Google suggests that neither are key dates)

With three different obverses and two reverses; there are a few variants of 1889 threepence, of which some are scarcer than others.

Thanks nick the oldest one looks like the photo above

ALL the variants look nearly identical to the above picture! The differences are minuscule...down to a bit of open lace in the veil, an 'I' of Victoria pointing to a gap in the beads, etc. etc.

Could be worth a picture?

Ha now we are getting technical how do I but photos up

First, make sure your picture is no more than 150k (you can reduce resolution and increase compression in an image editor). Then when you post, you will see Attachments under the box you type in. Choose the file on your computer, then Attach This File, then finally Add to Post (yes, yes, I know, unnecessarily complicated). Or, you can put the pictures on an external site and post the link to it here.