British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sheencrofter

Die Axis ?

Hi,

I have a Spink book and against a silver crown it says " George and Dragon date in ex. die axis " followed by 2 arrows pointing up. I have also seen where one arrow is pointing up and one pointing down.

Can anyone tell me what all this means?

Many thanks.

Hi,

I have a Spink book and against a silver crown it says " George and Dragon date in ex. die axis " followed by 2 arrows pointing up. I have also seen where one arrow is pointing up and one pointing down.

Can anyone tell me what all this means?

Many thanks.

The die axis refers to the relative orientation of the obverse and reverse designs. Two arrows pointing up means that if the obverse is the right way up when you view the coin, then when you turn the coin over (rotated about a vertical axis), the reverse design will also be the correct way up.

Thanks for that. I've been wondering about it for quite a while.

Yes, the two arrows pointing up means "medal axis", the other is "coin axis". All coins nowadays are minted with medal axis :D

I never understood why two arrows are used as a simple up or down arrow would suffice. I suppose the first covers the situation where the obverse is so dire or nondescript that the orientation is impossible to ascertain and you have to work it out from the book. :lol:

Thanks for that. I've been wondering about it for quite a while.

Yes, the two arrows pointing up means "medal axis", the other is "coin axis". All coins nowadays are minted with medal axis :D

All British coins are, but all US coins (except for some strikings of the Gobrecht Dollar I believe) are struck in coin alignment.