British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Emperor Oli

Maundy boxes

When did the sovereign start issuing Maundy money in boxes like Liz does today?

When did the sovereign start issuing Maundy money in boxes like Liz does today?

Hmm well from 1909 onwards Maundy Money was no longer available from banks only to the ceremony participants...

I can't actually find a reference that says which monarch started it...

The 1932 set was distributed by the king himself so i'd say George V was the first. Edward VIII distributed the 1936 issue, but even up to 1953 it wasn't always the monarch that gave the out, sometimes a rep.

Nono, perhaps I wasn't making myself clear. When was it issued in boxes, instead of the pouches?

I have seen late Victorian - early Elizabeth II Maundy money in official looking boxes, but it probably exists in official boxes around those dates.

You know i think they still give some of it out in pouches.

But in answer to your question the late to end of the Victorian period saw the change from pouches to presentation cases.

I have seen early 19th century maundy sets in really old and tatty boxes (all undated). :huh:

I have seen early 19th century maundy sets in really old and tatty boxes (all undated). :huh:

Doesn't mean it's the original though does it?

I know, I am confused, maybe the owners of the sets had boxes made for them?