British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Emperor Oli

Am I seeing a little hypocrisy here?

Reading Colin Cooke's page about Dr. Nicholson, it says he "had little respect for the commercial exploitation of re-strikes of the Soho period". These must be the modern repro coins that crop up occasionally on eBay - the newly struck cartwheels etc. The statement above implies that the "commercial exploitation" is a bad thing, and should not be tolerated by any serious collector. However, when I clicked on the link to Mr. Cooke's eBay page, I looked through his listings and lo and behold, it seems even Mr. Cooke is selling them.

This seems to be hypocrisy of the highest order...or am I getting the wrong end of the proverbial stick?

Edit: I can't figure out why his username is "ohnosecond"

Edited by Emperor Oli

Maybe Dr Nicolson had little respect for the Soho coins struck with the original dies when they were purchased and scrubbed up in the Victorian period.

Not the modern 'fantasy' pieces that have been created with new dies.

Colin even had cartwheel patterns made in honour of the sale of the Dr. Nicholson collection.....

I think Chris is right, I didn't know about the Victorian re-strikes.