British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Coinery

George V 1911 3d Currency or Maundy?

The 1911 maundy 3d uses Obv2 I of BRITT to bead, whereas the proof 3d is Obv1 I to gap.

What obverse do the the circulation coins have?

Obverses 1 and 2 were used for currency threepences, along with two reverses A and B. Not sure whether all 4 combinations exist, Gary D will be able to confirm whether 1+B exists or not.

Obverses 1 and 2 were used for currency threepences, along with two reverses A and B. Not sure whether all 4 combinations exist, Gary D will be able to confirm whether 1+B exists or not.

Ah, thanks.

Is there an up-to-date reference book that covers this? I have a copy of English Silver Coinage but it doesn't seem to go into that sort of detail.

Ah, thanks.

Is there an up-to-date reference book that covers this? I have a copy of English Silver Coinage but it doesn't seem to go into that sort of detail.

I can thoroughly recommend David Groom's book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Identification-British-Century-Silver-Varieties/dp/1445753014/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358043194&sr=8-2

The 1911 maundy 3d uses Obv2 I of BRITT to bead, whereas the proof 3d is Obv1 I to gap.

What obverse do the the circulation coins have?

I have the 1+A, 2+A and 2+B. I've never seen a 1+B.

Thank you, I'll look into that.

For 19th century stuff is British Silver Coins Since 1816 a good reference?

Thanks for the information.

Thank you, I'll look into that.

Thanks for the information.

Dave Groom's book gives you for 1900-on everything in Davies and more. I 'd just stick to Dave's book if you aren't interested in pre 1900.

Yes, Davies is the "bible" since 1816, though Dave's book is really good for 20thC. For pre-1816 milled you would need to add English Silver Coinage since 1672 (ESC - Raynor) though that does need updating in the light of more recent varieties discovered.

Thanks again for the advice. I'm interested in 1816 - 1970 so I'll probably look into both books. Too many books isn't a bad thing (much like coins).

Yes, Davies is the "bible" since 1816, though Dave's book is really good for 20thC. For pre-1816 milled you would need to add English Silver Coinage since 1672 (ESC - Raynor) though that does need updating in the light of more recent varieties discovered.

Stage right...Mr Pearce ;)