British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
davidrj

The end of Copper Coins

I've been browsing a CD of Krause World Coins 2011 edition covering all coins issued 2001-2010

Although I primarilary collect "penny" sized bronze, I have over the years built a considerable type collection of world-wide copper and bronze minors, a sideline interest culled from circulation, junk trays, bulk buys and holiday change. So always interested to see what types I haven't yet got an example of

This Krause covers about 200 coin issuing territories (ignoring fanatsies like Andorra)

Only 9 countries - Australia, China (Taiwan), Denmark, Papua New Guinea, Sweden, Switzerland, Tonga, Trinidad & Tobago, and the United Emirates have issued bronze coins

The vast majority of nominally bronze issues are now copper plated steel - UK, Euro zone, Afghanistan, Bosnia, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Cayman Is, Falkland Is, Gibraltar, Guernsey, Guyana, Jersey, Isle of Man, Kenya, Malawi, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mozambique, New Zealand, Niue, Oman, Phillipines, Romania, St Helena, Solomon Is, South Africa, Suriname, and Tristan da Cunha.

Barbados, Fiji, Panama and The United States of America issue copper plated zinc coins

This means that about 75% of issuing countries have turned their back on even a semblance of "coppers" in loose change - various brass alloys and brass clad steel seem to be the fashion

One wonders how many of todays issues will escape corrosion for future collectors.

:huh:

David

Edited by davidrj

I have been actively picking out BU examples of 1/2p,1p and 2p.(I have dates missing)

I also bought US Cents to 2005 a while back.That is a couple of areas I need to look at. :)

I can tell you that most of the US Zinc cents end up quickly corroded. They literally rot away if not kept in pristine condition. They get spotted even when kept in near ideal conditions.

One wonders how many of todays issues will escape corrosion for future collectors.

I've never really considered it but you make a good point. With modern day mint sets the situation could be worse I guess, but looking at some bulk bronze coins I have (most of which have at least some verdigris), it could be better.

Also, I think Fiji, New Zealand and the Solomon Islands at least used to have bronze coins before switching to plated.

I've never really considered it but you make a good point. With modern day mint sets the situation could be worse I guess, but looking at some bulk bronze coins I have (most of which have at least some verdigris), it could be better.

Also, I think Fiji, New Zealand and the Solomon Islands at least used to have bronze coins before switching to plated.

The three classic coinage metals - gold, silver and now bronze are no longer used in circulating coinage, and I suspect that even those "nominal bronze" plated issues will not be around much longer - Finland refuses Euro copper, the Canadian cent has now gone......... ?how long for our penny or the US cent?

I suspect that even those "nominal bronze" plated issues will not be around much longer

No, probably not. I'm not familiar with all of the bronze/plated issues you referred to, but the Solomon Islands as of last year no longer has any copper coins, plated or otherwise; as of 2006 Papua New Guinea no longer had its low denomination copper plated coins and Australia hasn't had any circulating bronze since 1991 (though the bronze coins were remade for mint/proof sets in 2006 and 2010).

New Zealand has had its copper plated 10c only since 2004 or 2005 though, so it might linger for a bit yet.

I guess copper-nickel is the new bronze.

The Canadian cent has now gone

link