British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

essexcoin

1983 2p NEW PENCE! value?

Hi, just wondering what the value of a 1983 2p new pence stands at today. It is still sealed in its packet and it looks like it was still only made a few days ago! I understand there have been sales on ebay for around £2,700 for one. I have to say, when william takes over the thrown, and the next type of coins/stamps etc are released - the value should rocket? + Id like to imagine if it was hanged on to for another say, fourty years. That would make the coin 60 years old and there were only around 450 made so id think the value would have "soared" by then!? If anyone can help with its value and what its future value looks like! Over the past few years i have seen these rise from £300 to £450 to £600 to £800 to £900 and recently £2700! many thanks, eddie.

It is rare but not desirable.If you could get £2700 for it now...happy days.

All those mule 20p's are worth diddly....a 1983 2p does nothing for me.

Hi, just wondering what the value of a 1983 2p new pence stands at today. It is still sealed in its packet and it looks like it was still only made a few days ago! I understand there have been sales on ebay for around £2,700 for one. I have to say, when william takes over the thrown, and the next type of coins/stamps etc are released - the value should rocket? + Id like to imagine if it was hanged on to for another say, fourty years. That would make the coin 60 years old and there were only around 450 made so id think the value would have "soared" by then!? If anyone can help with its value and what its future value looks like! Over the past few years i have seen these rise from £300 to £450 to £600 to £800 to £900 and recently £2700! many thanks, eddie.

It's a very rare coin by modern standards. If you've seen one go for £2700, then that's what one person was prepared to pay for one. The only thing against it is that it's a decimal coin, and - 20p mule aside - is the only well known decimal rarity, in a market that's dominated by over-priced Royal Mint issues and slashed-price secondary market decimals. I don't see Charles coming to the throne will make any difference to its value, and whether you keep hold of it depends entirely on your needs and wants. If you're a coin collector, £2,700 would buy you some very nice 20th Century items, or a smaller number of pre-20thC coins. I know what I'd do!

And without being repititious, I would say Peck's statements reflect my own opinion. This general market, especially the relevant secondary market that concerns us appears VERY weak. If a particular seller really did get 2700 pounds, God Bless Him.

Maybe ebay is the place to try yours; I was going to suggest an opening bid of 300-400 or at least a minimum of that, and see where the market may go. Be sure to hype it up with all the usual flim flam like "RAREST MODERN ROYAL MINT ISSUE", etc.

750 quid in Spink 2013................Number 4236A

What would it do to your collection?

I certainly would want to see it every day.

It would'nt be in my collection Peter :rolleyes:

Nor mine! Though I'd certainly find room for Peter's irony ;)

Nor mine! Though I'd certainly find room for Peter's irony ;)

Leave Mrs Peter out of it...she is good at irony,and a bit more ;)

My Wife repeatedly tells me my collection (which I have spent years and not inconsiderable amounts of money building) is worthless until I come to sell it! And even then it will only be 'worth' what someone is prepared to pay, however much value it has to me.

Personally I think it's always tricky predicting future prices eddy. That's because it's always difficult to be certain about the market sentiment a few years down the line. If electronic payment really takes off and they stop making coins, things could go up.

Or not. Because if you check this site, most here are in their 20s or a lot older. I know hardly any kids that collect coins, certainly not compared to 50 years ago when it was quite a popular hobby. Yes, you could hold on to your coin in the hope it goes up above the rate of inflation. But will there be collectors for such things (decimal issues generally just don't attract the sorts of collectors that are prepared to pay several thousand quid, whereas there are enough for say, hammered gold to keep that market buoyant) in years to come?

So I would mirror what others have said. Unless this coin is a key part of your current or future collection, I'd be inclined to sell it now and use the (hopefully obscenely large amount of) money you make to buy something a bit older with an established collector appeal!

Oh, and let us know how you get on!

Edited by TomGoodheart

sell, sell, sell. :D

ski.

It's a very rare coin by modern standards. If you've seen one go for £2700, then that's what one person was prepared to pay for one. The only thing against it is that it's a decimal coin, and - 20p mule aside - is the only well known decimal rarity, in a market that's dominated by over-priced Royal Mint issues and slashed-price secondary market decimals. I don't see Charles coming to the throne will make any difference to its value, and whether you keep hold of it depends entirely on your needs and wants. If you're a coin collector, £2,700 would buy you some very nice 20th Century items, or a smaller number of pre-20thC coins. I know what I'd do!

Yeah, I'd sell it in a heartbeat, although I think £2,700 is unrealistic.....but you never know.

£2,700 would buy a nice 1869 penny, when one becomes available.

Yeah, I'd sell it in a heartbeat, although I think £2,700 is unrealistic.....but you never know.

I looked up the auction, seems it was never completed as the coin was relisted at £1,750.00 a couple of weeks after but was ended early, also all buyers were listed private.

I have seen them sell for circa £1,200.00 genuinely.

You can buy my 1869 for a lot less than that.... ;)

I would get rid of the coin at anything over £600 .

Invest it in something something interesting victorian or before

Ooh, ignoring Edward VII, the scarcest reign of modern times, and George V, arguably the most interesting reign of modern times?

i find it strange you say the coin is increaseing in value rapidly

charles will be the next in line for the throne , unless you know for certain he will die before his mother..

Ooh, ignoring Edward VII, the scarcest reign of modern times, and George V, arguably the most interesting reign of modern times?

Surely Edward VIII coins are the rarest of all modern coins :D - I must admit i love Edward V11 coins as well

Edited by copper123

Surely Edward VIII coins are the rarest of all modern coins :D - I must admit i love Edward V11 coins as well

You can hardly call Edward VIII a reign! And none of his coins were officially issued, and I did use the word "scarce" not "rare" :D