British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
mike

Did Santa give you what you wished for?

Did you treat yourself with a nice coin this Christmas? Here is the coin I found under my X-mas tree...

Enjoy the holidays and all the very best for 2013 to all forum members !

post-7141-017779600 1356470883_thumb.jpg post-7141-045484400 1356470899_thumb.jpg

Shame it is in a plastic coffin. :(

Edited by Peter

Shame it is in a plastic coffin. :(

Coffin can be always removed, I care more about the coin... I just wondered how other collectors treated themselves this Christmas. I really did not mean to start another never ending discussion about "coffins". In the slab or not - for me it is always the same coin and I really do not care how other collectors store, handle and organize their collections.

Did you treat yourself with a nice coin this Christmas? Here is the coin I found under my X-mas tree...

It's a lovely coin. George IV halfcrowns are not easy to find in high grade.

post-7141-017779600 1356470883_thumb.jpg post-7141-045484400 1356470899_thumb.jpg

Great coin Mike I am after a high grade one myself!! Lovely present!

Very, very nice.

If that was a present, you certainly got your money's worth.

Got enough money, going to head to the not-so-local coin shop and see what they have. Knowing my luck it'll be closed :P

Going to try to pick out some nice things out of their Cu-Ni bin, perhaps some pennies to look for Freeman varieties. They never seem to have any good silver foreign coins, but perhaps tomorrow will be an exception.

No coins for me :(

Got a Kindle Fire HD though :D form Mrs D

Nice looking coin Mike. What is the CGS grade? Wonder what CGS would grade this one at :)

http://www.sixbid.com/browse.html?auction=604&category=13644&lot=614355

Hello Azda, the coin was graded as UNC 80. It has very good eye appeal displaying light grey and gold toning over original mint brilliance. IMO the coin hasn't achieved higher grade because of very slight cabinet friction on the obverse and weak reverse striking which only affects a few small parts of the central reverse design. Saying that the weak reverse striking is usual on this date and issue (reverse striking of the piece from forthcoming Herritage Auction – lot 20905, MS 65 PCGS - is even worse).

Lol, lets not get me started on PCGS and American TPGs grading :D

Lol, lets not get me started on PCGS and American TPGs grading :D

That's the last thing I want this Christmas :D

I got cash, which is what I wanted, so now I hopefully have enough to buy another coin. All good!

Nice looking coin Mike. What is the CGS grade? Wonder what CGS would grade this one at :)

http://www.sixbid.com/browse.html?auction=604&category=13644&lot=614355

Hello Azda, the coin was graded as UNC 80. It has very good eye appeal displaying light grey and gold toning over original mint brilliance. IMO the coin hasn't achieved higher grade because of very slight cabinet friction on the obverse and weak reverse striking which only affects a few small parts of the central reverse design. Saying that the weak reverse striking is usual on this date and issue (reverse striking of the piece from forthcoming Herritage Auction – lot 20905, MS 65 PCGS - is even worse).

A CGS UNC 80 with great eye-appeal? You've got to go a long way to find one of those!

A beautiful coin, the kind of quality we should all be aiming for!

Hence the reason i don't purchase Willy nilly These days Stuart. Did i mention i found 2 farthings with provenance ;)

Hence the reason i don't purchase Willy nilly These days Stuart. Did i mention i found 2 farthings with provenance ;)

The Pearce kind of provenance? :)

No, the Colin cooke kind ;) i can hear your teeth grinding Stuart :D

Edited by azda

I wish Santa had left me a coin for Christmas...instead he left me a white-out Blizzard! I can't even see the house across the street, the snow is blowing so hard. We have 8" of snow on the ground now, with 5" to 7" more due in the next 5 hours. Needless to say, I am staying inside today! Good time to go over some coins! LOL!

I wish Santa had left me a coin for Christmas...instead he left me a white-out Blizzard! I can't even see the house across the street, the snow is blowing so hard. We have 8" of snow on the ground now, with 5" to 7" more due in the next 5 hours. Needless to say, I am staying inside today! Good time to go over some coins! LOL!

Or build a snowman Bob :)

Great coin Mike!

I didn't manage to buy a coin for Christmas and so spent the money on a cheap break to Spain instead. Had a good time and the weather was dry and relatively warm.

No, the Colin cooke kind ;) i can hear your teeth grinding Stuart :D

I've got a couple of the ex. CC/Shuttlewood coins (via RP), and very pretty they are too! Looking forward to your pictures! They're going to have to be very good coins to survive your high-res imagery, there'll be nowhere for a pit or spot of verd to hide!

I'm waiting upon the arrival of my first Irish oval! £69 delivered! There'll be a spot or two on that one, that's for sure! ;-)

I treated myself to 4 1/4d's and a brace of 1d's from the States

I also got the 2013 Spin.

I haven't started on photographing my collection yet. :huh:

Or build a snowman Bob :)

Not if you watched the Xmas Day Dr Who! :unsure:

Stay warm and safe Bob!

David

Great coin Mike!

I didn't manage to buy a coin for Christmas and so spent the money on a cheap break to Spain instead. Had a good time and the weather was dry and relatively warm.

Surprisingly it was 60 Fahrenheit here in Munich Christmas eve and Christmas day. Apparently the hottest on Record for those 2 days, shorts and tshirt weather and not a Christmas Jumper in sight

David, Azda,

Well, we only got 10" of snow total, so it wasn't as bad as it was supposed to be. The 10" of snow, however, was more than we got all last winter! Ha,Ha. Last winter was more like Autumn than Winter though!

I'm getting ready to go to the New York International Numismatic Convention in January. It is the best coin Bourse in America for World Coins. Many dealers from Great Britain, and Australia are there. I'm really looking forward to it. Maybe I can find a delayed Christmas Present there! LOL!