British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
TomGoodheart

Nicholas Briot issue coins

Bit esoteric I know, but so as not to clog up the new aquisitions thread ... has anyone here ever heard of, or encountered, a hammered issue Briot sixpence?

Three denominations were issued during Briot's second coinage of 1638/39; halfcrowns, shillings and sixpences; to a total value of a bit over £2800. A small number of hammered versions of the half crown and shilling exist. However there is no sixpence in John Brooker's collection and I wondered whether any exist?

My original aim was to guesstimate the proportion of coins with the anchor mark alone out of the total issue (the majority of which are clearly triangle over anchor). As far as I know there are no coins with the triangle mark alone, but if anyone knows anything different ..?

Also, coins were normally made in different denominations in agreed proportions such as two halfgroats to three pennies to two halfpence. Anyone know what proportions Briot issued halfcrowns, shillings and sixpennies in for the second coinage? Any info/ideas gratefully received!