British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
numismatist

FAKE COINS

Just wondered ? as the Police, and Trading Standards try and define every crime

they can as a " Civil matter " Ive just found seller of my £310.00 Chinese 1763

Northumberland Shilling , who vanished off Ebay for a year as soon as I found

out it was a fake, but has now just started selling again and by making a cheap

purchase in another name, Ive got his full details, but all I get is threats

after I wrote saying please refund or I will take the matter to Court saying

" My Solicitor and I will see you in Court and sue you for Slander Ive never

sold a fake ever " I cannot find out if hes sold other fakes, and he's over 100

miles away, and it looks like I could end up having to go to his Court as he's not

registered as a Trader. Anyone know what the chance of winning is ?

You'd 1st of all need to prove both are one Nd the same person and prove that the coin came from him. If he has the same address then its down to eBay also to Show what other username he had and also prove the coin was in fact fake which would me having it authenticated/ or not as the Case would be. It could take a while and a bit of cash, but if you're prepared for the stress then go ahead,but only if you're sure its the same person. His username would be good for others here.

Thanks " Azda " there no doubt its the same person, but it would

have been nice if it had shown up on his Ebay feedback that bought it

from China , and I cannot see any other likely fakes on his Ebay Feedback,

so it could be he got caught out and sold it quick on Ebay when he

found out . I will not give his Ebay name yet as I've just written to

the Police in his area (Preston Lancs)as someone has said they often

do check out the person , but only seem to act if they have a criminal

record as I suppose that makes it easier ?. I've added the actual Coin

photo, that I posted quite a while back. It has tell tale < marks coming

from King George's mouth and the missing tops to the letters in GEORGIVS

especially the second " G " thats normally pretty well intact on genuine

1763 Shllings.

post-6970-075571400 1355934187_thumb.jpg

The warning signs should have came at the price you paid. £310 is fairly cheap if it were genuine.

Technically it is a civil matter and would require a small claims case. For the Police to be even remotely interested there would have to be some other aggravating factor eg sale of more than one fake etc.

As things stand they will do nothing as it cannot be proven beyond reasonable doubt that the seller was aware that the coin was a fake at the point of offering it for sale.

Your only option is Citizens Advice or a local solicitor to get the ball rolling for you.

With something of such low value I'd not recommend a local solicitor. Your best best is to approach the CAB or just go straight to the Small Claims Court. Make sure you read up on all the papers though.

Don't get stressed out for £310...it really isn't worth it.

Name and shame and what goes round comes round.

Def small claims it! If you don't get your money back, you can at least rest in the knowledge that, for a very small outlay, you've driven a painfull nail into their credit rating! That'll piss them off, one way or another, for a good many years!

You could then always sell the debt on for £15 to a 'reputable' company and buy a couple of bottles of wine! Every sip of that you could think on the number of pain-in-the-arse letters that will get sent to his parents, employers, and posh new girlfriends house! ;)

If you're serious about a small claim you shouldn't have to travel to the seller's local court unless it ends up with him wanting to defend himself in person. The simplest way is for you to use the internet based Court's Service at Money Claim Online.

This service is actually handled through the Northampton Court and will only be transferred to a local Court if the defendant requires that. As part of the process, before reaching a judge in Court, you can both enter into mediation which, if your claim is justified and relatively straightforward, should result in an early settlement. With a bit of luck he'll just pay up before reaching that stage though.

If you're serious about a small claim you shouldn't have to travel to the seller's local court unless it ends up with him wanting to defend himself in person. The simplest way is for you to use the internet based Court's Service at Money Claim Online.

This service is actually handled through the Northampton Court and will only be transferred to a local Court if the defendant requires that. As part of the process, before reaching a judge in Court, you can both enter into mediation which, if your claim is justified and relatively straightforward, should result in an early settlement. With a bit of luck he'll just pay up before reaching that stage though.

That's a superb bit of advice, and even better link, I didn't even know about that! Will be a useful website and service for everyone here!

Many thanks all, will give some serious thought to having a go in the

small claims on line Court . Its not the money that matters but the

thought that some people get away with this time after time and never

get brought to book.

Speak for yourself!

Speak for yourself!

Indeed! I spent a lot less than that on my last coin ...

Speak for yourself!

Indeed! I spent a lot less than that on my last coin ...

What, THAT old washer? ;)

I have used Money claim quite a few times for late paying advertisers (customers), even on amounts as low as £40. Usually they pay up when you send them the link along with a final warning. ;)

Good idea that, worth sending link to MCOL website before actually proceeding, ive been

having a good look at that , suppose worst thing is if they dont pay up, things look

like they get more complicated.

Hello all ...HAPPY ending....At first I got threats of Slander and heavy Court Costs.

But I sent in my Money Claims Online Claim Form with my £35.00 Fee. He got the Claim on

Saturday , sent email Sunday and money arrived by Postal Orders £350.00 that included the

Court Fee today (wed) so a good result after 2 years, because I could not locate him

and Ebay Legal Dept refused to give his details..I kind of think he bought it believing

it was Genuine, so I wont give his name, but he claims it came from Ebay Seller----

----xxxcoinsxxx--- I think Staffordshire area, and ----xxxcoinsxxx------ shows up on

the " Give a buck Editorial " thats shows photos of many Fake 1763 Shillings he has seen

Attached Photos of my FAKE in case it surfaces again..thanks for all the advice

Reverse on Next Page..........as to many K...........

post-6970-055732300 1358346193_thumb.jpg

and heres the Reverse of my Fake ( now refunded )

Great result, well done you, it makes it so much easier when they do the "right thing".........in the end :)

Hello all ...HAPPY ending....At first I got threats of Slander and heavy Court Costs.

But I sent in my Money Claims Online Claim Form with my £35.00 Fee. He got the Claim on

Saturday , sent email Sunday and money arrived by Postal Orders £350.00 that included the

Court Fee today (wed) so a good result after 2 years, because I could not locate him

and Ebay Legal Dept refused to give his details..I kind of think he bought it believing

it was Genuine, so I wont give his name, but he claims it came from Ebay Seller----

----xxxcoinsxxx--- I think Staffordshire area, and ----xxxcoinsxxx------ shows up on

the " Give a buck Editorial " thats shows photos of many Fake 1763 Shillings he has seen

Very pleased for you. Well done indeed!! I have no sympathy for the seller even if he brought it believing it was genuine. By refusing to refund you, he was just as low as ----xxxcoinxxx--- who allegedly sold it to him.

Glad the Money Claims On-line service worked for you. It really is a useful.