British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Coinery

Tall Narrow Bust Liz 6d Fake

Collected this Elizabeth I Milled Sixpence today (his picture, will edit in mine soon), and it's a very good colour, being only marginally greyer, but looking almost trace-lustre like! It rings nicely, and is about right for thickness. Weight is 2.68g.

I'd love to know if anyone has, or knows of, a genuine coin with the obvious reverse die defects at the 3 o'clock arm, and the bottom right field?

There are a number of coins out there with these flaws, one coming up on eBay in the next 24hrs, which doesn't look quite 100%, but who knows? The obverse of mine has major die-rotation, but all the outer bust lines meet the lettering in the same place, initially suggesting these may have been hammered or milled???

counterfeitliz.jpg

Not sure if you've seen the BNJ article on the Elizabeth I milled coinage in the BNJ, 1983? You can find the link on the BNS website. There are photos of all the known dies (at that time) including yours - type 23-R2. It was used only with one obverse die and clearly shows the defects you show. If you PM me I have several photos of coins using this die that I've accumulated over the years.

Usually the die orientation on these milled sixpences is 180degrees (6h) but I've seen / own a few that are a little different. How large is the rotation on your piece?

The weight seems a little low, but other than that I can't see anything obviously wrong with the coin - perhaps its suspect nature is more obvious in the hand?

Not sure if you've seen the BNJ article on the Elizabeth I milled coinage in the BNJ, 1983? You can find the link on the BNS website. There are photos of all the known dies (at that time) including yours - type 23-R2. It was used only with one obverse die and clearly shows the defects you show. If you PM me I have several photos of coins using this die that I've accumulated over the years.

Usually the die orientation on these milled sixpences is 180degrees (6h) but I've seen / own a few that are a little different. How large is the rotation on your piece?

The weight seems a little low, but other than that I can't see anything obviously wrong with the coin - perhaps its suspect nature is more obvious in the hand?

Many thanks for the BNJ link and your kind offer! Life's mad just now, what with a nearly-5 on tow, but I'd very much like to link up with you after Christmas, and talk coins, is it just the milled coinage of Elizabeth you are collecting?

This coin is definitely a forgery, it doesn't test positive for silver, the obverse is even more of a giveaway, though it could've milled/hammered-out alright and provided as convincing an obverse as is the reverse.

Have you any forgeries of Elizabeth coins you've collected along the way, I'd be really interested?

Cripes, this was meant to be brief...speak soon, and thanks again!

I see what you mean - it does look very 'soapy' in the new photo.

I don't have any forgeries of Elizabeth I coins (at least none that I know of!) - I suppose I'd be potentially interested in contemporary forgeries, but haven't given it much thought to be honest - I'm trying to get the real ones first...!

I'm sure I've seen a few in catalogues etc. listed as such - is this a particular interest of yours?

I see what you mean - it does look very 'soapy' in the new photo.

I don't have any forgeries of Elizabeth I coins (at least none that I know of!) - I suppose I'd be potentially interested in contemporary forgeries, but haven't given it much thought to be honest - I'm trying to get the real ones first...!

I'm sure I've seen a few in catalogues etc. listed as such - is this a particular interest of yours?

I'd love to document all the Liz forgeries that turn up, alongside the lifetime Elizabeth Project I'm working through at the moment! Have you seen the thread 'Elizabeth Die Study'? That's where I'm at currently, but recently buying anything suspicious, almost in the hope of discovering a new counterfeit to document!

I think seuk's got G3 covered, we need something similar going on for all the areas, and then centralize it all :)