British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Here's a picture of a slabbed sixpence. What grade number (Sheldon scale 0-70) would you give it?

I guess you would expect it to be well up there on grade alone, taking into account the ribbon tie is only weak-strike, likely as a result of metal being pressed elsewhere, due to the rim defects (is it ex mount)? I'm presuming they mutilated it on account of the defects?

Edited by Coinery

MS 60 Ish

Assuming the obverse is in the same condition, then possibly AU55. But difficult to tell from the pic.

Not an expert on 6d's but I can't see wear...weak strike on the crown.

I would need to see the obverse.

What I can see gives MS63

Not an expert on 6d's but I can't see wear...weak strike on the crown.

I would need to see the obverse.

What I can see gives MS63

Here's a picture of the obverse.

I guess you would expect it to be well up there on grade alone, taking into account the ribbon tie is only weak-strike, likely as a result of metal being pressed elsewhere, due to the rim defects (is it ex mount)? I'm presuming they mutilated it on account of the defects?

What a muppet, only just dawned it's the slab grips! Doh!

I'm really going to have to give up with this iPhone grading/identification lark!

Edited by Coinery

Since that is NGC slabbed I'm going to go out on a limb and say they graded it MS-64 or MS-65.

Myself I'd grade it MS-62, while the coin looks to have no wear (not sure if the flatness on the obverse to the right above the ear is wear or just a weak strike) and very few bagmarks, it is a fairly weak strike with the hair not striking up fully, the first A in BRITANAR looks weak, the left side of the wreath looks weak also, same with the crown where the pearls don't look to be fully struck up.

Aside from a little rim nick at about 8 o'clock on the reverse, its in pretty good preservation but IMO the weak strike on some of the central design (mainly the crown) should make this grade lower than a fully struck coin in the same preservation.

Caveat - Sixpences are not my thing so I may not know the best areas to look for wear

Having said that, the Reverse looks pretty goo and well struck, but the Obverse hair detail looks a bit flat but judging from the reverse I would expect that this is just strike weakness. So I would not expect it get a high MS grade. I reckon about 61-62 :ph34r:

Edited by Colin G.

Nobody guessed a high enough number. Incredibly, PCGS have this graded as MS67.

I'll stick with MS63 but I don't personally don't like the toning so as far as I'm concerned its off my radar.

I'll stick with MS63 but I don't personally don't like the toning so as far as I'm concerned its off my radar.

My guess was MS62 and given that Heritage have an auction estimate of $1250-$1750, it is well off my radar too.

My guess was MS62 and given that Heritage have an auction estimate of $1250-$1750, it is well off my radar too.

That's crazy, is there not significant wear to the hair or is that me?

That's crazy, is there not significant wear to the hair or is that me?

It looks as though there is, although as I said earlier, it's often difficult to tell from a pic.

Certainly a rather mottled and unattractive looking coin. Not sure it reaches MS67 by these criteria

MS 67 - A superior coin that has no major distractions to speak of. The fields should be near flawless with just the slightest contact on the main device. This coin should emit a look of satisfaction from the viewer. Prices increase further especially for coins with short supplies and strong demand.

There were major distractions in the form of mottling, and the fields looked far from flawless.

Also, according to the criteria noted in this link an MS68 coin, just one grade higher than the one in this example, is one in 100,000 !!!

Mint State (Unc) - Absolutely no trace of wear.

Mint state coins vary from MS-60 to MS-70. As I stated earlier, MS-70 is perfect. No blemishes, good strike, great color, and a lot of other really nit picky stuff. Trust me, any coin you have that isn't slabbed isn't MS-70. It's like winning the lottery, twice. An average shiny new penny from the supermarket is MS-63. A really pretty one with no easily visible marks is MS-65. If you have an average roll of new cents from the supermarket, 2-5 will be MS-60, 5-15 will be MS-61, 25-40 will be MS-63, 5-8 will be MS-64 and 1-2 will be MS-65. If you are exceptionally lucky, one will be MS-66. An MS-68 coin is one in 100,000! Distinguishing the difference between these uncirculated grades is where most of the black magic in coin grading is. Even with years of experience, coin dealers will disagree about these grades. Even the professional grading services aren't 100% consistent within these grade levels. Some coins are very difficult case studies. European coin collectors think that this American system of grading uncirculated coins is just downright crazy.

What ever MS I wouldn't want it.It just a poorish obverse strike with awful tone.

I don't use those stupid numbers. However, it looks like it could be a weak strike (unless that's the effect of being photo'd through a slab?) - so I'd say it could be classed as GEF or AUnc. But if it IS a weak strike I wouldn't want to pay more than a shade over EF money for it. However, it's nicely toned so I can see some collectors paying a bit more?

You've already provided the answer, but i was going for MS67 :D

Joking, of course! MS62 would have been my estimate.

I don't use those stupid numbers. However, it looks like it could be a weak strike (unless that's the effect of being photo'd through a slab?) - so I'd say it could be classed as GEF or AUnc. But if it IS a weak strike I wouldn't want to pay more than a shade over EF money for it. However, it's nicely toned so I can see some collectors paying a bit more?

Nicely toned. :o I bet you have a pug at your feet that is a handsome dog. ;)

I Note from 1949s post just above of the criteria for MS grading that they actually take into consideration COLOR? WHY? Wtf has colour got to do with strike/wear which is what grading is about......

I Note from 1949s post just above of the criteria for MS grading that they actually take into consideration COLOR? WHY? Wtf has colour got to do with strike/wear which is what grading is about......

They also take into account "eye appeal", which makes Nick's sixpence an epic fail for MS67 :ph34r:

As we proceed to higher grades, there should be a noticeable difference in each grade and an improvement in quality, strike, and eye appeal. However, since grading is subjective, it will still be difficult for most numismatists to see a distinct difference from one grade to the next. This is especially so in grades of MS67 and higher.

Edited by 1949threepence

They also take into account "eye appeal", which makes Nick's sixpence an epic fail for MS67 :ph34r:

Lmfao..........Eye appeal to earn a point or 4 woohoooooooo, no wonder the americans use petrol to enhance their coins then

Lmfao..........Eye appeal to earn a point or 4 woohoooooooo, no wonder the americans use petrol to enhance their coins then

It's actually no more than a not very good looking NEF. That's the reality. If it's really been graded MS67, then something is not quite right IMO.

Londoncoins sold an 1835 sixpence in UNC in September for 240 quid plus commission, just goes to show how much American auction houses are ripping for a little tone and i'd say Londons was a better grade, an NGC MS63 sold for 150 quid in 2011, so where does their price come from?

http://www.londoncoi...age=Pastresults

Edited by azda

Anyway, I've found it on Heritage's website ~ here

........and it's MS64, not MS67. Still overgraded I reckon.