British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Phil FK

5 old british coins to ID please

Hello All,

Just rummaging through my childhood coins collection for the first time in more years than I care to count.

Can anyone help me out with IDs of any of the following?

coin1_zpsc152e7d1.jpg

coin2_zpsc152e7d1.jpg

Thanks – Phil.

1. No idea

2. 1806 Farthing

3. No idea

4. 1797 Soho penny

5. 1890 crown

1. No idea

2. 1806 Farthing

3. No idea

4. 1797 Soho penny

5. 1890 crown

1. is early Roman. S C on the reverse is the giveaway.

Edited by Accumulator

Wow. Thanks for the rapid reply guys.

And the news I've got a Roman coin.

-Phil

-Phil

As a word of caution I can't help recalling that when I visited the corinium museum in Cirencester as a child they sold tons of replica roman coins, so could it be you have somehow acquired one of these replicas rather than a genuine one. Of course it could be a genuine one, in which case just ignore me, but I think it's worth bearing in mind.

-Phil

As a word of caution I can't help recalling that when I visited the corinium museum in Cirencester as a child they sold tons of replica roman coins, so could it be you have somehow acquired one of these replicas rather than a genuine one. Of course it could be a genuine one, in which case just ignore me, but I think it's worth bearing in mind.

Wow, I lived in Ciren for a few years as an adolescent, AND I dug on the Roman excavations they held in the 70s. When were you there?

It's very unlikely to be a replica, being so worn. Replicas are generally in reasonably high grade otherwise no-one would want them.