British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
coins4africa

1887 Jubilee Head 2S MS61 PL(NGC)

Good day,

I need to speak to someone who can help me determine the value of the above coin.I think this is the only coin

graded prooflike.Some info please.

James

Good day,

I need to speak to someone who can help me determine the value of the above coin.I think this is the only coin

James

Got to see a picture, James - slab or no slab!

Declan is correct about the picture.

For a guide though MS61 will likely be somewhere between EF and UNC

Therefore £40 to £85.

These are Spinks latest (2013)catalogue values.

The JH florin is the commonest 19C florin so I would never buy at book price.

Good day,

James

There are many Victorian coins that have proof-like qualities, but whether that is noted on the grade by a grading company doesn't affect the grade awarded. It may improve desirability a little and thus help the value a bit higher, but not a great deal. As such an 1887 florin in MS-61 (which equates to the British grade EF or perhaps gEF) is worth around £35-£45, perhaps a little more on a good day.

There are several on Ebay for less than £30 BIN reasonable coins as well.

Yes, I concur as to value.

But more importantly, and I hope it does not fuel the slab debate too greatly (but will take on whoever if it does), MS 61 is a technical uncirculated grade but may be low on eye appeal despite the PL status; and maybe the moreso because of it! Some "GEF" pieces are nicer even if they are at a technical deficit.

Why? Because PL surfaces tend to highlight "bagmarks" . In general, and I have seen many coins, I have found that MS61 is generally a preservation state that is not too attractive - it is a bugaboo grade so to speak.

Edited by VickySilver

Good day,

James

So many different 1887 Florins we must see a picture particularly of the obverse.

Good day,

James

As others have said, we'd need a look at this coin to offer any opinions.

You can link to photos directly by using a photohosting site like flickr or photobucket James. That way you are not restricted by the size limit that applies if you try to upload pics from your computer. Or if the coin is offered by a dealer or auction house, just link to the listing.

You should however remember that NGC is an American company. That they have only graded one such coin as PL doesn't necessarily mean that it is rare in this condition or more desirable. US companies generally only get to see a fraction of the number of British coins available. And some of them appear to have little experience in this field upon which to base an opinion. So I suspect that their views will, for UK collectors at least, be much less important than how the coin looks and how individual collectors rate it compared to other examples they have seen.

There are many 19th Century coins that are "prooflike". These are often the result of striking currency coins using left over proof dies, or more commonly, first strikes from a new die. In either case, they can attract a premium, but only a small one in the UK (unlike the US), probably no more than an attractively toned coin would.

True proofs are usually quite obvious and are worth much more than currency strikes.

Good day,

James

As others have said, we'd need a look at this coin to offer any opinions.

You can link to photos directly by using a photohosting site like flickr or photobucket James. That way you are not restricted by the size limit that applies if you try to upload pics from your computer. Or if the coin is offered by a dealer or auction house, just link to the listing.

You should however remember that NGC is an American company. That they have only graded one such coin as PL doesn't necessarily mean that it is rare in this condition or more desirable. US companies generally only get to see a fraction of the number of British coins available. And some of them appear to have little experience in this field upon which to base an opinion. So I suspect that their views will, for UK collectors at least, be much less important than how the coin looks and how individual collectors rate it compared to other examples they have seen.

That's what I need, some colour in my avatar!

Like so? :)

I don't empty the cache in my browser often enough to see many changes to one's avatar.

LOL Happy Christmas everyone!

Ha, Ha, nice one gentlemen! Yes, and compliments of the season to you...we're inside the 12 days now, it's kind of official, ain't it!

Ha, Ha, nice one gentlemen! Yes, and compliments of the season to you...we're inside the 12 days now, it's kind of official, ain't it!

ROFL. Considering Christmas Day is the first of the 12 days, I'd say you're a bit premature! :D But I like what you've done to your avatar :)

ROFL. Considering Christmas Day is the first of the 12 days, I'd say you're a bit premature! :D But I like what you've done to your avatar :)

9 chocolates to go, that's less than 12! ;)