British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Tissue Test

I saw that over there. :)

I read about spittal and tinfoil on hammered.(Not to rub)

What's a clad coin? Is it something an archaeologist pulls out of the wall of a 20thC house?

Very good question, I hope I don't have one!

Most of this "tissue test" comes from people in the US who coin-roll hunt, or who don't know if a foreign coin is silver or not.

When opening up rolls of half-dollars to search for silver, there are 90% and 40% silver coins and coins that have no silver. When looking at the edges, its easy to tell if a coin is 90% silver or not because a 90% silver half dollar will be solid white. 40% silver coins look similar to coins with no silver in them, although they might look a bit "green". 40% halves were minted from 1965-1970 but there have been reports of some very rare wrong planchet errors dated 1971. The problem is, people flood forums anytime there is a funny looking 1971 edge and claim its a rare error worth $1K+ (I've never seen someone discover a 1971 on a 40% silver planchet despite reading 75 threads+ about it). Since apparently a lot of people in the US don't have a scale to weigh them, people have come up with the "tissue test" to help mitigate the flood of these false threads.

Among US coin collectors, a non-silver coin is often called "clad" because US quarters/dimes dated 1965-present (and post-1970 halves) are copper-nickel clad. You can see the cladding on the edge where there will be the white stripe of nickel and the reddish-brown of copper. US collectors will also incorrectly refer to non-silver but non-clad coins (such as 99.9% nickel Canadian coins) as clad, and so in US coin forums clad just means non-silver. Even more confusingly 40% silver half dollars are correctly called silver-clad, but such a coin would not be called "clad" in a US forum.

Really, the best test for circulated coins to tell if they are silver is the "sound test" (this is quite useful when rummaging through a dealer's "junk bin") copper-nickel coins will "ping" when dropped while silver will "clank" although the alloy does make a large difference (a sterling coin will sound different than a 40% or 50% silver coin). Of course this test isn't exactly recommended for expensive high grade coins!

Forgot to mention, clad on eBay has a different meaning, generally meaning plated in order to deceive buyers with titles like: "1 Troy ounce .999 clad silver bar" which have 1 troy ounce of something like nickel or copper that is plated with pure silver.

Edited by Generic Lad

I saw that over there. :)

I read about spittal and tinfoil on hammered.(Not to rub)

What's a clad coin? Is it something an archaeologist pulls out of the wall of a 20thC house?

Very good question, I hope I don't have one!

Most of this "tissue test" comes from people in the US who coin-roll hunt, or who don't know if a foreign coin is silver or not.

When opening up rolls of half-dollars to search for silver, there are 90% and 40% silver coins and coins that have no silver. When looking at the edges, its easy to tell if a coin is 90% silver or not because a 90% silver half dollar will be solid white. 40% silver coins look similar to coins with no silver in them, although they might look a bit "green". 40% halves were minted from 1965-1970 but there have been reports of some very rare wrong planchet errors dated 1971. The problem is, people flood forums anytime there is a funny looking 1971 edge and claim its a rare error worth $1K+ (I've never seen someone discover a 1971 on a 40% silver planchet despite reading 75 threads+ about it). Since apparently a lot of people in the US don't have a scale to weigh them, people have come up with the "tissue test" to help mitigate the flood of these false threads.

Among US coin collectors, a non-silver coin is often called "clad" because US quarters/dimes dated 1965-present (and post-1970 halves) are copper-nickel clad. You can see the cladding on the edge where there will be the white stripe of nickel and the reddish-brown of copper. US collectors will also incorrectly refer to non-silver but non-clad coins (such as 99.9% nickel Canadian coins) as clad, and so in US coin forums clad just means non-silver. Even more confusingly 40% silver half dollars are correctly called silver-clad, but such a coin would not be called "clad" in a US forum.

Really, the best test for circulated coins to tell if they are silver is the "sound test" (this is quite useful when rummaging through a dealer's "junk bin") copper-nickel coins will "ping" when dropped while silver will "clank" although the alloy does make a large difference (a sterling coin will sound different than a 40% or 50% silver coin). Of course this test isn't exactly recommended for expensive high grade coins!

Forgot to mention, clad on eBay has a different meaning, generally meaning plated in order to deceive buyers with titles like: "1 Troy ounce .999 clad silver bar" which have 1 troy ounce of something like nickel or copper that is plated with pure silver.

Wow! Many thanks for taking the trouble to clarify that, a really interesting read! I had absolutely no idea!

You are still reliant on the underlying metal being Iron, Nickel or Cobalt though, as these are the three magnetic elements. I wouldn't work for tin, copper or lead which are the usual metals used in debased coinage.

Wow, that tissue test is a bit simple there, and maybe simple-minded?

Mostly the "drop test" should show a silver coin generating more of a ring with a higher pitched resonance than a copper-nickel or baser metal specimen which would be more of a lower pitched "clunk".

Out of all the fake coins (and replica coins) I've seen/owned, I've only seen 2 or 3 stick to a magnet while all the rest did not. The typical ones I see (fake US silver dollars) are usually copper-nickel or silver-plated copper and as such they don't stick to the magnet.

However, a magnet is quite useful for testing jewellery because most fake jewellery will be silver/gold plated nickel or steel, although I have seen some gold plated brass rings that are stamped 14K that won't stick to a magnet.

done magents on iron coins, not very magnetic when the coin is nearly 1000 years old though :P

US coins are easy because the later issues you can see a copper band on the rim :D

they could also feel differant, good condition silver edges are sharp, best way to put it.

there is a cool test you can do with our own 1p as well.

get a 1991 or earlier and a 1992-97 rub your finger over the portcullis on each.

as the later one is thiker it will feel differant when you do it ;)