British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Paulus

James I Farthing

It's an ebay snipe! I will be pressing that dig out when I get a moment!

Really pleased with it, it's much, much, richer in tone than the images show, I still haven't mastered that side of photography, yet!

You really must get Tim's book, there are enough varieties in it to make for a really interesting and pretty hammered collection! :)

It's an ebay snipe! I will be pressing that dig out when I get a moment!

Really pleased with it, it's much, much, richer in tone than the images show, I still haven't mastered that side of photography, yet!

You really must get Tim's book, there are enough varieties in it to make for a really interesting and pretty hammered collection! :)

I may, can't justify the outlay just yet! Strange 'J' in 'Jaco', or 'I' for 'J'?

You should buy the book before the coin Paul

You may be surprised to know that a vast majority of the coins found in Thames are not found with metal detectors, they are eyes only finds. Amazing but true. I have tried detecting down there and it is a nightmare due to all the metal that is present. Some do detect but even these little toddlers are commonly found via just looking/scraping the foreshore

You may be surprised to know that a vast majority of the coins found in Thames are not found with metal detectors, they are eyes only finds. Amazing but true. I have tried detecting down there and it is a nightmare due to all the metal that is present. Some do detect but even these little toddlers are commonly found via just looking/scraping the foreshore

Wow! I hate London, but the above half makes me wish I lived there!

You should buy the book before the coin Paul

You really should, Paul, it's only the price of 1 basic farthing!

Also, you can't really collect hammered farthings using the Spink catalogue, you'd be missing out on so much!

The way I look at buying coin books is this! You only have to single out 1 single rarity, and get to buy it at regular money, then the book pays for itself! ;)

I forget which coin it was now, but even my copy of the BMC exposed something that justified its purchase within a matter of months!

Oh so true.

Not just books but know what you are buying.

Learn before you leap. :)

Oh so true.

Okay I will, thanks Dave, Stuart, Peter! I have laid out the princely sum of just under a tenner so far, so I don't feel I should have done it earlier!! I have about 10 books so far but none about hammered specifically ...

Oh so true.

Okay I will, thanks Dave, Stuart, Peter! I have laid out the princely sum of just under a tenner so far, so I don't feel I should have done it earlier!! I have about 10 books so far but none about hammered specifically ...

Books are invaluable Stuart, especially if you intend to collect the subject. What we need though is a modern day book of fakes, i think that would be a best seller, outstripping even Harry Potter lol

Oh so true.

Books are invaluable Stuart, especially if you intend to collect the subject. What we need though is a modern day book of fakes, i think that would be a best seller, outstripping even Harry Potter lol

That would be even harder to keep up with than the new discoveries of the hammered farthing series! A dedicated web-resource would be good though! One that is actually useful, easy to navigate, and WORKS (that rules out the forgery network site IMO)! ;)

I know of forgery Network but don't use it due to it being pretty difficult to navigate. I find predecimal.com much easier when looking at fakes ;)

I know of forgery Network but don't use it due to it being pretty difficult to navigate. I find predecimal.com much easier when looking at fakes ;)

There are so many fakes on the Pre-decimal website that it makes me wonder whether Chris is the 'M' behind it all! ;)

There are so many fakes on the Pre-decimal website that it makes me wonder whether Chris is the 'M' behind it all! ;)

Are you watching that Maltravers farthing Stuart?

Are you watching that Maltravers farthing Stuart?

Yes I was, the one with different mintmarks ob & rev (blencoe)? It's apparently a common Everson type 3, so I didn't want to go beyond the £28 I think it was the last time I looked! :)

I did like the sharp beading on this one, is it your's?

Afraid not (it went for £51 in the end), but it is my mission to snaffle one that you would like it your collection!

Edited by Paulus

I did like the sharp beading on this one, is it your's?

Afraid not (it went for £51 in the end), but it is my mission to snaffle one that you would like it your collection!

:D

Might be useful for those without Tim Eversons book. I'll also add this to the "useful links" thread so it can be easily found in the future

http://www.stuartroyalfarthingtokens.com/rft-identification-and-grading-guide/

Tim recommended this site to me. Ray Hamson's name pops up quite a bit in his book, he's been responsible for quite a few of the addenda additions!

Great site! You're getting ready, Dave, I can tell! :(

I've already seen 2 or 3 Stuart, a tad expensive but with great pedigree, so we'll see if they are still avaliable after the festivities. ;) happy xmas

I've already seen 2 or 3 Stuart, a tad expensive but with great pedigree, so we'll see if they are still avaliable after the festivities. ;) happy xmas

Pah!

Lennox from the River Thames in the week.

There must be something about Thames mud that preserves those coins rather nicely. There's amazing detail and apart from the ultra-dark patina, little signs of corrosion. Good finds!

Lennox from the River Thames in the week.

There must be something about Thames mud that preserves those coins rather nicely. There's amazing detail and apart from the ultra-dark patina, little signs of corrosion. Good finds!

Thanks Peckris. The Thames mud is anaerobic which actually means there's no air, so how things actually went in are exactly how they come out as long as they are deep in that Thames mud, It's amazing sometimes they come out brand new looking. :)