British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Paulus

James I Farthing

I just bought the wee fella ... can anyone tell me what Spink number / mint mark it is? My guess is 2679 Lion passant???

Thanks for any help!

Farthing_Rev1.png

Farthing_Obv1.png

I just bought the wee fella ... can anyone tell me what Spink number / mint mark it is? My guess is 2679 Lion passant???

Thanks for any help!

Farthing_Rev1.png

Farthing_Obv1.png

What's going on, Paulus, no competition please! ;)

Lion RAMPANT Lennox type 4 S2680 [c]

I had this one in my watch list as I thought it might be counterfeit...I never had time to sort it out, so it went by! Tim Everson in his latest adenda to his 2007 book has a newly discovered example listed of a Lennox 4 'lion rampant' counterfeit [EXR]

Will get the PC out later and have a look! :)

Thanks for any help!

Farthing_Rev1.png

Farthing_Obv1.png

I had this one in my watch list as I thought it might be counterfeit...I never had time to sort it out, so it went by! Tim Everson in his latest adenda to his 2007 book has a newly discovered example listed of a Lennox 4 'lion rampant' counterfeit [EXR]

Brilliant, thanks Stuart! I see it in my Spink copy now ... be nice to know if it is counterfeit, half hope that it is! It just caught my eye, glad you weren't bidding too! I like to have a smattering of other examples to go with my milled silver! ;)

Thanks for any help!

Farthing_Rev1.png

Farthing_Obv1.png

Brilliant, thanks Stuart! I see it in my Spink copy now ... be nice to know if it is counterfeit, half hope that it is! It just caught my eye, glad you weren't bidding too! I like to have a smattering of other examples to go with my milled silver! ;)

Alas, it's certainly not a 'known' counterfeit! The counterfeit had missing colon stop after HIB (no space for it apparently)!

So, Lennox Type 4 (1622/3-1625) obverse 2, reverse 2 - Everson 48b, BMC (Peck) 103. Importantly, it should have a die axis of 180 degrees.

Welcome to the world of hammered copper! ;)

Thanks for any help!

Farthing_Rev1.png

Farthing_Obv1.png

Alas, it's certainly not a 'known' counterfeit! The counterfeit had missing colon stop after HIB (no space for it apparently)!

So, Lennox Type 4 (1622/3-1625) obverse 2, reverse 2 - Everson 48b, BMC (Peck) 103. Importantly, it should have a die axis of 180 degrees.

A very common type by the looks of it, I'll confirm the die axis when it arrives ... thanks again!

Thanks for any help!

Farthing_Rev1.png

Farthing_Obv1.png

A very common type by the looks of it, I'll confirm the die axis when it arrives ... thanks again!

My thoughts based on the pics would be a genuine example, it certainly looks good enough, with the correct number of jewels and the scroll appearance all look correct, and the identification previously given is spot on as well!! :D

Thanks for any help!

Farthing_Rev1.png

Farthing_Obv1.png

Actually, I've just noticed from the images that it IS 180 degrees! Bet you never thought you'd get excited about a coin being a possible counterfeit?

For ease of use, and as a great catalogue all round, I can heartily recommend Everson's book...especially if you are going to start scouring the 'bay for the rarities! :)

Not sure if any of the dealers on here have one but, if not, you can get a copy here if you're interested? http://www.galata.co.uk/store.asp?storeAction=showDetail&stockID=1136&stockMasterCategoriesID=8

Thanks for any help!

Farthing_Rev1.png

Farthing_Obv1.png

Actually, I've just noticed from the images that it IS 180 degrees! Bet you never thought you'd get excited about a coin being a possible counterfeit?

For ease of use, and as a great catalogue all round, I can heartily recommend Everson's book...especially if you are going to start scouring the 'bay for the rarities! :)

Not sure if any of the dealers on here have one but, if not, you can get a copy here if you're interested? http://www.galata.co.uk/store.asp?storeAction=showDetail&stockID=1136&stockMasterCategoriesID=8

You mean a genuine one has a die axis of 0 degrees? I thought you meant the opposite, sorry!

Bugger off the farthings...if Azda gets a sniff he will be in shooting both barrels. B)

You mean a genuine one has a die axis of 0 degrees? I thought you meant the opposite, sorry!

The genuine one has the 180 degree! We'll get it sorted eventually! :)

Bugger off the farthings...if Azda gets a sniff he will be in shooting both barrels. B)

Dave'll be straight into the ovals and CARA pieces! Alas, I was hoping to snipe a few more nice pieces before there was too much competition! :rolleyes:

Dave'll be straight into the ovals and CARA pieces! Alas, I was hoping to snipe a few more nice pieces before there was too much competition! :rolleyes:

LOL - well all I can say is, YOU started the topic!!! Do the words "low" "a" "keeping" "profile" mean anything to you? :D:lol:

Hello ladies, i'm here and reading. I have to admit that i did like the coins you previously posted Stuart, i'm also leaning towards the Charles I/II coinage along with just nice specimen coinage. More Reading to be done on the farthing side first before purchasing anything plus the purse is closed until next year but u will get a copy of the book.

Ps, book purchased:)

Edited by azda

Tim Everson in his latest adenda to his 2007 book

Tim mentioned his addenda to me previously and as a result I tried to obtain a copy from Galata but alas got no response...would you willing to do me a copy and I will cover your postage costs and a pint? :D

Tim Everson in his latest adenda to his 2007 book

Tim mentioned his addenda to me previously and as a result I tried to obtain a copy from Galata but alas got no response...would you willing to do me a copy and I will cover your postage costs and a pint? :D

Hi Colin,

PM me your address and I'll get the 2010 update over to you. I'll put it in with your Christmas card, so no charge for postage! ;)

There's also a 2012 addenda, not yet integrated into the 2010 document, though Galata are due to do this sometime soon. I have this as a word document if you want that one too?

Nice compliment earlier in the thread...thank-you! :wub:

Edited by Coinery

Hello ladies, i'm here and reading. I have to admit that i did like the coins you previously posted Stuart, i'm also leaning towards the Charles I/II coinage along with just nice specimen coinage. More Reading to be done on the farthing side first before purchasing anything plus the purse is closed until next year but u will get a copy of the book.

Ps, book purchased:)

Oh, FCUK! :unsure:

Now look what you've gone and done Peck! You had to go and tell Dave about it, didn't you! :angry:

;):D You'll enjoy it, it's the farthing series laid bare and easy!

Now look what you've gone and done Peck! You had to go and tell Dave about it, didn't you! :angry:

ME???? Re-arrange the following words to make a sentence : "bolted" "horse" "after" "it's" "good" "door" "no" "shutting" "stable" "the" "has" "the" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by Peckris

ME???? Re-arrange the following words to make a sentence : "bolted" "horse" "after" "it's" "good" "door" "no" "shutting" "stable" "the" "has" "the" :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I've come over all strange at the recent interest in hammered farthings. So much so, that I darn got confused about the perpetrators (?spelling) of the gold rush. It wasn't YOUR fault at all Peck (nor mine, ahem), but that dang gourmet Peter and his sidekick, Paulus! Without which, Dave would still be pondering the 127 varieties of sausage he might have with his dinner! :blink:

Edited by Coinery

God i Love this forum banter :D i'll be looking after xmas Stuart, you have 13 days left yet to fill your boots ;)

God i Love this forum banter :D i'll be looking after xmas Stuart, you have 13 days left yet to fill your boots ;)

The 12 days of Christmas it is then! ;)

Since Tim's publication, the hammered coppers seem to be a market that is gathering momentum if you consider the number of collectors, but the prices don't seem to have been affected yet. It is quite bizarre because you will struggle to locate pieces at coin fairs (unless you go to Rob's table :D ). But the steady supply from the Thames seems to be satisfying demand at the moment.

Since Tim's publication, the hammered coppers seem to be a market that is gathering momentum if you consider the number of collectors, but the prices don't seem to have been affected yet. It is quite bizarre because you will struggle to locate pieces at coin fairs (unless you go to Rob's table :D ). But the steady supply from the Thames seems to be satisfying demand at the moment.

I don't know where Spink's get their prices from, we hardly see truck loads of farthings going through the big auctions? When we consistently get a gaggle of individuals all bidding for the better eBay pieces, we're going to see some good prices, but these won't be reflected in Spinks.

I do think a catalogue of the quality and usability of Tim's is bound to gather momentum and drive the market! I wonder if we are seeing the beginning of the end of affordable high-grade hammered copper? After all, the Thames finds will slowly begin to dry up (I'm only presuming it's only the new 'affordable' breed of metal detectors that's made this mass of new finds available).

These tiny little thins (sounds like an after-eight) are a miracle of nature. To find ANY old copper, especially buried copper (which is sometimes nearly as-struck in the case of the C&J1 farthings), in a condition that's really collectable, is quite a tall order. It amazes me the hammered farthings have stayed off the radar for so long. As Dave said, we really should fill our boots, it aint gonna be possible for very much longer.

And as Peck said...'kept should've I mouth my shut!' :angry::huh:

'On the first day of Christmas, my true love sent to me, a partridge and a Lennox E30c :D

IMG_2808aResize25.jpgIMG_2805aresize25.jpg

'On the first day of Christmas, my true love sent to me, a partridge and a Lennox E30c :D

IMG_2808aResize25.jpgIMG_2805aresize25.jpg

Very very nice Stuart! Where did you get that one from?