British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Coinery

"Sorry, I do not allow returns"

Elizabeth 6d 281030455548

What do you think, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole? If it stays cheap enough, I will buy it to find out!

What do you think, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole? If it stays cheap enough, I will buy it to find out!

Got a link?

"Sorry, I do not allow returns"

Well unfortunately for you PayPal says you do :). If paying by PayPal you will be covered if the item is not as described or counterfiet. They will just deduct the payment from the sellers account whether he likes it or not. I agree though it doesn't look legit and I wouldn't touch it with any pole.

Let's find out, then! ;)

Let's find out, then! ;)

Hope I'm not too late - but that looks like an obvious cast replica.

Both are gone ;)

Let's find out, then! ;)

I think you're 99% right, I'll let you know 100% very soon! This would be the first hammered sixpence I've seen, so worth having, if only to mark on my die template, against it's original, that 'crude copies are known to exist of this die'!

I will be discussing a partial reimbursement in the likely event of a forgery exposure, or a return with full-reimbursement!

After I've got it's vital stats and a nice picture, of course! ;)

Edited by Coinery

or a return with full-reimbursement!

After I've got it's vital stats and a nice picture, of course!

good work, let us know how you get on.

ski

Edited by ski

Let's find out, then! ;)

I think you're 99% right, I'll let you know 100% very soon! This would be the first hammered sixpence I've seen, so worth having, if only to mark on my die template, against it's original, that 'crude copies are known to exist of this die'!

I will be discussing a partial reimbursement in the likely event of a forgery exposure, or a return with full-reimbursement!

So, there it is...a 1566 portcullis sixpence of Elizabeth is also 100% on the counterfeit list!

I'd prefer to keep it, as long as I can renegotiate a price, otherwise back it goes!

Camera's coming out tomorrow, so will put a few pictures up. Nothing to worry about for the hammered boys, this one is not going to catch anyone out! Nowhere near as convincing as the Mary groat.

Next coin of interest is that Elizabeth milled sixpence, that one could stir it up a bit, though the obverse on it is a little corroded/pitted!

Let's find out, then! ;)

So, there it is...a 1566 portcullis sixpence of Elizabeth is also 100% on the counterfeit list!

I'd prefer to keep it, as long as I can renegotiate a price, otherwise back it goes!

Camera's coming out tomorrow, so will put a few pictures up. Nothing to worry about for the hammered boys, this one is not going to catch anyone out! Nowhere near as convincing as the Mary groat.

Next coin of interest is that Elizabeth milled sixpence, that one could stir it up a bit, though the obverse on it is a little corroded/pitted!

The bugger's gone quiet on me, after saying 'sorry I don't allow returns,' so 'case open' it will have to be! Anyway, as I said, not that worrying a copy, though could entrap some if it was slightly more worn I guess?

IMG_2788aResize25.jpgIMG_2784aResize25.jpg

Sorry for the slight bump on an oldish thread. But is ebay that bad of a place to buy from then?

I take it that ebay isnt advisable to buy from unless youre very in the know?

Sorry for the slight bump on an oldish thread. But is ebay that bad of a place to buy from then?

Personally I think it is 'Sellers beware' on eBay, tons of protection for buyers, and sellers dread negative feedback ... beware high grade coins without lots of hi-res pics, expensive historic coins without provenance, anything from China and certain other known replica exporting locations, and much more to be found on here. There are still bargains to be had for sure.

Personally I think it is 'Sellers beware' on eBay, tons of protection for buyers, and sellers dread negative feedback ... beware high grade coins without lots of hi-res pics, expensive historic coins without provenance, anything from China and certain other known replica exporting locations, and much more to be found on here. There are still bargains to be had for sure.

I never thought of it that way.

I think for the time being I'd rather stick with well known people away from eBay.

I think for the time being I'd rather stick with well known people away from eBay.

That's a good approach, there is no rush, stay patient (I am not!), and seek advice from here whenever you want, it is the best, free, and normally very quick!!

I concur with that Paulus!

For example, I got my money AND postage returned through Paypal re the above coin!

Statistics for me are: around 1000 eBay coins purchased, approximately 10 were unexpected arrivals (wrong coins, lies, deceit, etc.), around 5 of which I couldn't stomach (or easily resolve), and consequently opened a case on! Final outcome...5 proper bad egg deals...5 cases opened...5 cases refunded in full!

As a buyer, I've yet to have a bad experience on eBay!

However, yes, extreme caution is the order of the day!

And that is absolutely a good move too! We have many reputable dealers on here! It's not your average forum, there are contributors to the BNJ, authors of respected books, and probably a combined 1000 years + of experience amongst all members!

We have R P Coins (Rob), Argentumandcoins (John), PennyCrownCoins (Derek [does that name ring any bells?]/Red Riley), HistoricCoinage (Clive), AboutFarthings (Colin) and, of course, Pre-Decimal (Chris)!

I always hate creating a list, as I always forget someone! Most of the forum members here also buy AND sell on eBay too, perhaps we should have a copy of eBay user names for those who want them shared, and paste them up on occasions such as these?

Anyway, move with caution, read this forum for a month, surf the above mentioned dealers, and don't rush!

All the right questions are being asked here!

And that is absolutely a good move too! We have many reputable dealers on here! It's not your average forum, there are contributors to the BNJ, authors of respected books, and probably a combined 1000 years + of experience amongst all members!

We have R P Coins (Rob), Argentumandcoins (John), PennyCrownCoins (Derek [does that name ring any bells?]/Red Riley), HistoricCoinage (Clive), AboutFarthings (Colin) and, of course, Pre-Decimal (Chris)!

I always hate creating a list, as I always forget someone! Most of the forum members here also buy AND sell on eBay too, perhaps we should have a copy of eBay user names for those who want them shared, and paste them up on occasions such as these?

Anyway, move with caution, read this forum for a month, surf the above mentioned dealers, and don't rush!

I have been looking on the pre decimal shop part of the site and RP Coins quite a bit, just getting an idea of prices and what's around.

Not planning on rushing, I just tend to read through things over and over :P

I have been looking on the pre decimal shop part of the site and RP Coins quite a bit, just getting an idea of prices and what's around.

Not planning on rushing, I just tend to read through things over and over :P

Hallelujah, a serious man of coins! Happy New Year, Greg!

And remember, we're a friendly lot here, so if you do spot something on ebay (or anywhere else really) and want a second opinion, just post a photo and ask. Of course, we all make mistakes to start with (or for a long time afterwards in my case!) but that's part of the learning process. Coin collecting isn't just acquiring the coins, but also the knowledge about them, so it's a long-term thing. Well, it is if you're more patient than I am anyway!

Sorry to have hijacked the thread, but for the future reference, do each of these people have sites? Or is it more a contact thing? Other tha RP and the owner here?

Sorry to have hijacked the thread, but for the future reference, do each of these people have sites? Or is it more a contact thing? Other tha RP and the owner here?

Google the names provided, and you'll find them all online with sites!