British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Danz

Die rotation

Hi all. How common are die rotations? I have a 1862 penny and a 1870 penny both with a 45 deg rotation. Cheers Dan

Fairly common, but generally in the order of 5- 15 degrees, in my experience. Never seen one as much as 45 degrees.

I would't clutch at straws until published.

Edited by Peter

Hi all. How common are die rotations? I have a 1862 penny and a 1870 penny both with a 45 deg rotation. Cheers Dan

I can only add that I have an 1887 Sovereign with about 30 deg. rotation. I would say rotations are pretty rare as I have noly ever seen two in my field both on the 1887 Sov. Probably a short run of faulty coins before it was spotted and corrected.