British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

I must be missing something!

I keep banging on about sellers that make their listings private.

I may be a bit thick but the ONLY reason I can see is so that the seller can "help along" the bidding.

Yes, the price is quite high for this coin.

I may be a bit thick but the ONLY reason I can see is so that the seller can "help along" the bidding.

Agreed John, i've always thought her auction prices were high, this particular coin seems on the High side

Edited by azda

Also, so people can't actually see what you've been selling AFTER the auction's finished! If you had a nice little idea, say polished coins for 110th birthdays, other potential listers, who might want to poach your idea, can't see how successful you are in selling them. If they spotted you'd sold 20 in one week, they might just think 'Blimey, I'll give that a go myself!'

A case in point: about 10 year's ago, I started making driftwood crucifixes for a bit of fun. I was genuinely shocked by their popularity and eBay auction success, making between early twenties to thirty quid a throw! I didn't have the market for long!

I've done it myself on eBay, seen a good idea, and then trawled the seller's feedback for the stats! ;)

Also, so people can't actually see what you've been selling AFTER the auction's finished! If you had a nice little idea, say polished coins for 110th birthdays, other potential listers, who might want to poach your idea, can't see how successful you are in selling them. If they spotted you'd sold 20 in one week, they might just think 'Blimey, I'll give that a go myself!'

A case in point: about 10 year's ago, I started making driftwood crucifixes for a bit of fun. I was genuinely shocked by their popularity and eBay auction success, making between early twenties to thirty quid a throw! I didn't have the market for long!

I've done it myself on eBay, seen a good idea, and then trawled the seller's feedback for the stats! ;)

I see. Thank you for that insight Coinery.

Perhaps also certain sellers may not want people to see how much (or how little!) they'd bought a coin for, that they are now selling.

I buy and sell on the same account, I might add, and my listings aren't private!

Perhaps also certain sellers may not want people to see how much (or how little!) they'd bought a coin for, that they are now selling.

I buy and sell on the same account, I might add, and my listings aren't private!

...and therefore I might bid on them.

Edited by Nick

Oh, come on now. Didn't you see that it is "A Splendid Highly Collectable Example "!?

... that and the fact that this is eBay, not the real world of course. :lol:

Oh, come on now. Didn't you see that it is "A Splendid Highly Collectable Example "!?

It's not that bad an example as they come, with the question being whether you want one or do you want the gap. You would pay into 4 figures for any shilling around the EF mark with E or E* below. High grade examples are seriously rare.

It's not that bad an example as they come, with the question being whether you want one or do you want the gap. You would pay into 4 figures for any shilling around the EF mark with E or E* below. High grade examples are seriously rare.

True about the gap thing, and scarcity of better grades. My Spink gives £45 for F, £250 VF. It will be interesting to see if it hits the £100 mark, which I'd put at the maximum I'd have been prepared to pay when I was interested in that sort of thing ... the current price is about right maybe. Of course, it just squeaks into the Scottish coin market too which seems fairly buoyant at present ... we'll see.

Edited by TomGoodheart

Funny Thing is, i have a 1708E** listed so will interested to see where this goes.

Edited by azda

True about the gap thing, and scarcity of better grades. My Spink gives £45 for F, £250 VF. It will be interesting to see if it hits the £100 mark, which I'd put at the maximum I'd have been prepared to pay when I was interested in that sort of thing ... the current price is about right maybe. Of course, it just squeaks into the Scottish coin market too which seems fairly buoyant at present ... we'll see.

Which Spink are you reading Richard? My 2012 for the 1707E (F 110 and VF 400) and for the 1707E* (F 125 and VF 425) This one that's ending is Edinburgh, but she's thrown a couple of **** in there to make sure it gets publicity.

You may need an updated Spink :rolleyes: I am curious however between S 3609 and 3609A

Edited by azda

I've bought from the seller and always been happy with the service.

I've bought from the seller and always been happy with the service.

I was too, until our little fall-out over postage! Her/his loss as, as I said in a previous thread, I had bought and bid-up many, many, coins of their's that would have sold for considerably less otherwise! I was worth £1000's to them, even as a non-winning bidder! I must have spent a K or two with them as well!

I still don't think it's right to try and charge SD rates for two items you bought at Signed-For rates! Send them individually to me if you want, not charge me extra for putting them in the same envelope and saying they are now over the £46 bracket!

Still gets to me :(