British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

azda

Comments on the 1746 Halfcrown Arrival

I'm not liking the right hand side of this OBV..........Comments welcome...........No mount marks and weighs 15.2g

PB220716.jpg

PB220717.jpg

Edge

PB220719.jpg

Tooled to b*****y. The wear on the portrait should be indicative of what you would expect the fields to be. Horribly bright with tell-tale gouges to both sides. How was it described? I bet it didn't have a very full or accurate description. This is close to melt value (assuming it is silver). Someone's having a laugh - at your expense.

There was no mention tooling in the Description, i did'nt like it as soon as i saw it in hamd and will email the auction house about it and hopefully Return it as not described.

There was no mention tooling in the Description, i did'nt like it as soon as i saw it in hamd and will email the auction house about it and hopefully Return it as not described.

Where did it come from and what was the lot description? Any auction house with a sense of decency would have said tooled at least. With all due respect to Scott, this one is in his territory and budget.

Ausländische Münzen

EUROPA

ENGLAND

- Königreich

George II., 1727-1760. 1/2 Crown 1746, VICESIMO.

S. 3696 RR ! Rdf., Felder poliert, ss

Exact description

Ausländische Münzen

EUROPA

ENGLAND

- Königreich

George II., 1727-1760. 1/2 Crown 1746, VICESIMO.

S. 3696 RR ! Rdf., Felder poliert, ss

Exact description

Edge marks and polished fields are described, so you might have a job saying not as described, but will probably get away with it as it doesn't say tooled. The tooling scratches are the worst problem, but I wonder why you bought it in the first place with these. I hope you didn't pay too much. Basically, someone has taken an electric polisher with a fine point and attempted to buff up the fields giving the damage seen.

The tooling marks were'nt evident in the auction Gallery picture Rob. You can see the auction Gallery picture in coin aquisition of the week, a few pages back. You commented on it saying it may have been mounted with the few knocks around certain positions od the rim.

What a shame - after all, it is a rare item. :(

It is a pity Peck, but i knew as soon as i took My own pictures that it was buggered. I'll be emailing the auction house tonight after work and send them my pictures and see what they say.

what a lovely edge - shame about the rest of the messing about by foolish people though.

thinking about it the person that caused the damage is probably dead though it look like it was done many moons ago

Not a LIMA too :(

Which Auction house Dave?

The tooling marks were'nt evident in the auction Gallery picture Rob. You can see the auction Gallery picture in coin aquisition of the week, a few pages back. You commented on it saying it may have been mounted with the few knocks around certain positions od the rim.

The rim marks hit you in the face the minute you saw the coin. I didn't look very closely at the fields as the marks on the rim would have been enough to put anybody off on their own. Although not the commonest piece, it certainly isn't rare with a few examples passing through every year, virtually all of which are ok.

Not a LIMA too :(

Which Auction house Dave?

It was a German one Peter, one which i'd bought from before without any problems and described pretty well, so was fairly dissapointed when this turned up. I've emailed them last night with my plate size pictures and see what they say. If they don't take it back it will have to go on the bay in an auction and let it go for whatever it goes for.

Being a proof only issue, most examples turn up at around the EF mark. At not even VF with tooling and rim marks I think you would struggle to get much more than the fine price for it - say a couple hundred.

Being a proof only issue, most examples turn up at around the EF mark. At not even VF with tooling and rim marks I think you would struggle to get much more than the fine price for it - say a couple hundred.

Well if they don't take it back Rob i'll have to take the hit unfortunately...........Will wait on their reply first and see what they say about it.

Very disappointing for you obviously, Dave. It's easy to be fooled with some pics, and this is maybe an object lesson in trying to get a detailed large one before you part with any money.

Good luck in getting your money back, anyway.

With all due respect to Scott, this one is in his territory and budget.

No respect at all, actually. But definitely a shedload of condescension.

Very disappointing for you obviously, Dave. It's easy to be fooled with some pics, and this is maybe an object lesson in trying to get a detailed large one before you part with any money.

Good luck in getting your money back, anyway.

With all due respect to Scott, this one is in his territory and budget.

No respect at all, actually. But definitely a shedload of condescension.

EF Details

Trench Art?

Put the damn thing out of its misery

Thats a shame. Someone's ruined a rare coin. Even if it does town over the tooling will still be noticeable. \hope you get your money back azda,

I'm not liking the right hand side of this OBV..........Comments welcome...........No mount marks and weighs 15.2g

PB220716.jpg

PB220717.jpg

I just had to post again on this topic. It's been bothering disturbing me that much.

WHO? does that to a coin? What's the mental process that's gone through?

It's COIN ABUSE.

I know! Even if you'd got yourself an electric polisher, and you thought you'd try it on a coin, you'd try it on a 1967 halfcrown, not a 1746!

If they even had a 1746 that more or less confirms that it was a coinie that did it. I don't understand it at all :blink:

I doubt it was a collector, no collector in their right mind would abuse a rarity like that.

I doubt it was a collector, no collector in their right mind would abuse a rarity like that.

I've got it!

A woman scorned. Scary. It's like that film - Fatal Attraction.

That one would make sense

I've got it!

A woman scorned. Scary. It's like that film - Fatal Attraction.

A Bunny Tooler :D